Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Tell us about yourself...

Post by 204Shooter »

Now that the site has been up for about 2 weeks and we have 40 users, I thought it was time for some introductions.

My name is Brian and I am the administrator. So if there are any problems or if you have suggestions, just let me know.

I am from Utah (grew up in Wyoming) and have been hunting and shooting all my life. I am married to the world's most beautiful red-head! We have four boys.

I started this site because I love the .204 Ruger. As I was deciding whether or not to get one, I went to the web to find out more. But I couldn't find any sites that had a lot of information about the little .204. There was quite a bit of information, but it was spread out over many different sites. I was frustrated that there was not a site dedicated to the caliber. :idea: So...here we are.

I am not as serious a preditor hunter of some of you but am getting more into it all the time. It is a lot of fun calling in coyotes. But I am a big varmint hunter, and a deer hunter, and antelope hunter...

I'm a "Jack of all trades, master of none" kind of guy. I am not an expert and look forward to learning from you. However, I do enjoy reloading. In fact, my last three guns have never fired a factory round.

I enjoy reading about others' experiences and stories. So keep me entertained and let me hear all of your hunting stories. :D

Feel free to introduce yourselves and I hope you enjoy the site!
Last edited by 204Shooter on Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I got into the 204 because of the Tactical20. I wanted a Tac20 but didn't have the $$ for one. I looked around for a used one for 2 years & then Hornady & Ruger had this bright idea of the 204. I'll be getting another one to go with my 700ADL. Looks like the CZ Varminter is leading the pack right now. Handily I might add. I'm a roofer by trade. For a few more years anyhow. I hunt deer,squirrels,crows ground hogs,turkeys,& have tried to call in a coyote a few times. My only successful call ended with no shot as it's thick here where I'm at. I'm in east central Ohio.

Brian-- The site has been working good for me the last few days. You may have the bugs worked out. :D
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
SavageHunter

Post by SavageHunter »

Sean here. Grew up in Oregon, currently expatriated to the People's Republik of Kalifornia. Not a predator hunter at all. Don't hunt deer, elk, moose, buffalo, bear, or anything else similar. But if it is a ground squirrel, sage rat, prarie dog, rock chuck, wood chuck, or any similar rat/rodent looking varmint...........count me in.

Like Brian, I went to the web looking for info on the .204 and found there was little to be had and spread out way too much. Thanks for creating this site Brian.

I don't re-load, shoot nothing but factory ammo, and tons of it, so when I get a sizable amount of brass..........I guess I know where to come to find interested parties.

31 years old, and I am currently a full time student courtesy of my Uncle........Sam. Gotta love the Govt. and their free educations.

Have not found a hunting place in Central Kali yet, but once I do, you can bet that I will be posting pics and results. My current rifle is a Savage 12V Stainless with a Leupold 6.5-20x40mm mounted in Leupold Rings and Base.
Huckster

Post by Huckster »

I've been hangin' around for the past week or so, here's my first post.
My name is Brian, Im from Boyceville, WI. Im 37 yrs old, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 1 wife. Been in law enforcement for 15 yrs and currently working as a deputy sheriff.

I have been lookin for the past couple of years for a varmit gun, just couldnt decide. Im glad I waited. I had a NEF 223. Wasnt impressed, even with handloads. I then found a CZ in 204 and it was luv at first sight.

I hunt whitetails, black bear, grouse, geese, boars and fish alot too. I have been callin fox and coyotes since age 10 with my dad and absolutely love the sport. Thinkin about going prairie doggin, and try another elk hunt, and love to have dead animals hangin on the walls.
You probabely wont see many posts, but I check in pert near daily at least once.

Huckster
Skypilotbc

Post by Skypilotbc »

My name is Bob Cline. 53 years young and a grandfather X 4. Been interested in shooting all my life and just recently decided to do it seriously. Lived in Colorado for 5 years and hunted a lot there--mule deer, antelope, rabbits and squirrels. Got started shooting prairie dogs there also and that is my main focus now. Took two trips to S. Dakota last year and am going to return in July. Have another shoot scheduled for last of May/2nd of June in Wyoming. Would like to get out somewhere around the middle of May for the stupid young pups.
My .204 is a Savage Mod 12FV-S that I recently put in a Stockade LRB stock. It wears a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32X44 scope and is extremely accurate. PD's beware :eek: Like making short video clips of some of my PD shots. Mostly, I just like blowing holes in things--just ask Glen or Red. :lol:
Bob
Always lookin' for something to blow a hole in!
Statistics, in the main, are used by rascals to impress fools.
Bob
VHA# 64366
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

46 years old, here, I live in Louisvillle, KY, but grew up in N/C Missouri, hunting whatever was around. Moved to KY to work, shot IPSC pistol stuff for years, got some arthritis in my wrists, so I moved to rifle shooting, and got caught up in the PD frenzy, still haven't gotten over that, either.
I build kitchen countertops for a living, if you can call it that! Louisville doesn't have very good hunting in the immediate area, so I really look forward to trips back home to Missouri, and trips to SD. I generally hang out at the GGVG website (home page), and http://www.missouriwhitetails.com, but this place has possibilities...........
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Huckster

Post by Huckster »

JR22,

Boyceville is 13 miles north of Menomonie, which is half way between
Eau Claire & Hudson. Sounds like your wife is alot more high tech than us up here. We dont have "puter predator chasers" here, yet.

Huckster
DvFirefighter

Post by DvFirefighter »

My name is Dave I live in central Iowa. Have been a avid hunter for 30yrs. now. I enjoy hunting Phesants & Deer, but my love for Varmit hunting cannot be stopped. I bought a Savage Modle 11 for my son to shoot. He is reaching the age that he wants to follow me on my many trips to the fields in search of the elusive Coyote. I thought this would be a great little gun for him, not to heavy and very light recoil. I have used a Ruger M-77 in 22-250 with a heavy barrel for years.

As for my other hobies we enjoy camping, and I love running into burning buildings :P So now you all know I am nutts. ;)
Speed kills.........Sub-MOA kills even better!!!
varmintdon

Post by varmintdon »

Varmint Don here. Will be 68 next month and have been retired from law practice for a few years now. My bride of 48 years and I live in Keswick (central) Virginia. Forty years ago I was an Army JAG at West Point where I was OR of the Cadet Rifle Team. Learned to shoot varmints then and, while I had a 30 year hiatus to make a living, took it up again when we retired down here in 1999. Have been hunting 'chucks, crows, coyotes, skunks (i.e. whatever species are not protected and the landowner wants eliminated). Had a custom Mauser (243Win) built in 1965, bought a couple of 223s (Rem 700 and Savage 10FP) down here and use these mostly on 'chucks. Was attracted by the ballistics of the 204 Ruger so recently bought a Savage 11FNS as a "walking varminter." I like the feel of this rifle. Have yet to try it in the field but it has been shooting Varmint Express 40gr V-Max factory loads under MOA at the range. With Leupold VX-III 2.5-10X 40mm, I figure it to be a 300 yard 'chuck rifle; and I wouldn't be above trying longer shots either.

I'm very grateful for this site as it will be a clearing house for all kinds of information on this new caliber. Am looking forward to sharing my experiences here.

LOL and good shooting to ya' all.
cementbaloo

Post by cementbaloo »

45 yrs old. Lived in sin most of my adult life. Same girl for three yrs, presonal record, 2 dogs non hunters. They run deer, rabbit and anything that moves. I've been reloading shotshells off and on for as long as I can remember. Have loaded a few 9mm and 38's. I have a pretty decent sporting clays setup in the back yard. Put in a 300yd rifle range extendable to 400yds. Loved to quail hunt when they were around. Shot a few deer. Lots of small game.Duck and goose any chance I get. I own a few shotguns, pistols and rifles. The 204 is the first rifle I have bought that has a distance factor. Most of mine are rimfire with the exception of a '94 30-30. Just love to shoot.
Would love to have a gun capable of 1000yd shot, but the house needs painting. Would most like to have the time to enjoy the toys I have.
C.B.
sabayan

Post by sabayan »

John Cecil, 41, Houston Texas, Ive been shooting and hunting all my life. I ran wild through the texas hill country. I learned to shoot there. Competed in collegiate level shooting in the 80's. I have more than several rifles and pistols (more than I care to list) but my two current favorites are my .204 Savage 12 vlp and my 25-06 ackley Cooper Montana Varminter. Looking forward to contributing to the forum. I'm sure I'll learn a tthing or two.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Welcome sabayan & anybody else I may have missed. Looking forward to your posts.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Glen

Post by Glen »

brierpatch & 20-Tac-- Welcome to the mix.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Glen

Post by Glen »

Bob-- Can you hunt wolves year round? What are your average shots? 50yds? 100yds? I think a wolf rug across the foot of the bed would be way too cool.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

I,m a 69 year old great grandpa who has been hunting since since the late 1940,s. Still maried to the same old gal ,three children, three grand children and one great grand son. We had deer ,pronghorn, small game ,upland birds, prairie dogs,and Yots on the farm where I grew up some 15 miles from town.

. Shot my first deer ,pronghorn and elk in the 50s. Last year I went out 50 times to shoot prairie dogs . Got a Ruger Target rifle Cal 204 Ruger Dec.04 .. I,ll use the CZ Varmint 17HM2, Coper LVT 17HMR , Remington 700 LS 221 Fireball and Ruger Target 204 Ruger rifles for P Dogs this year. The ruger rifle with 32 GR. V-Max Hornady ammo shot .6, .9,.8 ,and .4 inch groups at 100 Yds.from the first box I fired from it. I missed elk and pronghorn hunting last year but shot two mule deer with a Ruger No. 1 243 Win. I started reloading for the 270 Win. round during 1952 and am looking foreword to developing some 204 prairie dog loads during 2005.