Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
killickthere
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Super Varmint in a KRG Bravo Stock

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by killickthere »

Good Morning/Evening. I live in the UK ( North Yorkshire ) with my family and retired about 10 years ago. I have several rifles but my 2 favourites are a Tikka 22-250 (with night vision) which I use for varmint hunting and .243 custom build which is used for deer stalking. I tend to be accompanied with my dog (German Shepard) when I hunt which has been trained to track deer.
I have on order a Tikka Super Varmint in 204 with a 20inch barrel which should arrive next month and after initially shooting factory ammo, I'll be reloading in 32g and 39g SBK along with Reloader 10x so I’m keen to tap into the knowledge base on here.

Much Appreciated
Killickthere.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Welcome to the site. Keep us posted on your ventures and maybe some photo's of area/guns/kills.. we like photo's. Bill K
nrowles
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 25 LIGHTWEIGHT VARMINTER-T

Post by nrowles »

New to the forum. Thanks for having me. I bought a Savage 25 Varminter-T last month and looking to get into reloading for groundhogs. About 12 years ago I purchased a H&R Handi-Rifle in .243 and could never get the thing to group less than a couple inches at 100 yards and would wing one off every few shots. Myself and friends spent much time trying to figure it out but never could. It was very frustrating, and regrettable I lost a good decade of hunting enjoyment with that type of rifle because I gave up on it. The past couple weeks I've shot a box of factory loads from the .204 and the 2 groups I've shot are .48" and .55" so I am satisfied with this. Even though that is satisfactory I would like to get into a little reloading to see what I can come with and possibly be accurate up to 500 yards.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

nrowles wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:41 am New to the forum. Thanks for having me. I bought a Savage 25 Varminter-T last month and looking to get into reloading for groundhogs. About 12 years ago I purchased a H&R Handi-Rifle in .243 and could never get the thing to group less than a couple inches at 100 yards and would wing one off every few shots. Myself and friends spent much time trying to figure it out but never could. It was very frustrating, and regrettable I lost a good decade of hunting enjoyment with that type of rifle because I gave up on it. The past couple weeks I've shot a box of factory loads from the .204 and the 2 groups I've shot are .48" and .55" so I am satisfied with this. Even though that is satisfactory I would like to get into a little reloading to see what I can come with and possibly be accurate up to 500 yards.
Welcome aboard and enjoy the fellowship and site. Get your self some good reloading manuals, decent equipment ( lot of good one's on sale now for the Xmas season) and start trying loads, with the powder/bullets you have and that match the manuals start loads. You will find one or two that will prove to be what you want, then just enjoy them on paper and critters, you can hunt. :)
Tottss
.204 Ruger Guns: Ar15

Post by Tottss »

I'm an avid hunter/ shooter from Michigan.
This is my 1st venture into the .204.
Reload everything i shoot from handgun up to .50bmg.
Do a lot of predator hunting and that is why I'm giving the .204 a try.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

First Welcome. Sounds like you are and have been well versed in reloading and shooting. So we look forward to more adventures and pictures, we love pictures of shoots, kills and views of your areas.
You will like and enjoy the 204 r. it is one fine small caliber, that preforms very well and with the 32 or 39 grain bullets does a super job on various critters/varmints. Enjoy it along with all your others. :D
Woodeye
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage apex 10/110

Post by Woodeye »

Im in east tx near Longview. Just ordered a .204 in savage 110. Lots of coyotes in my area of the east tx piney woods
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Welcome aboard Woodeye! I have a lifelong relationship with the East Texas Piney Woods around Nacogdoches and Melrose.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Welcome aboard, there is a wealth of knowledge here.
steve_twice
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by steve_twice »

Made it official today. Ordered a CZ 527 with the HS Precision stock. Paid too much but I guess that's where we are these days. Going to put a Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 on it and hopefully get after some coyotes in N/NW Texas, near Possum Kingdom Lake.
KEV204
.204 Ruger Guns: LMT 20" Stainless 1:12" in MRP-L MLOK 13.25 AR-15

Post by KEV204 »

Hi gents,

Quick intro:

Im a former Army guy (half enlisted / half officer), deployed to Iraq invasion with 101st and did some other stuff. Then went into civilian world in logistics, then MBA into IT and Project Management. I live in SC between Asheville and Charlotte, NC....close to Microtech HQ and where X-Ring (youtube) shoots, were neighbor's. My wife and I both work remote and were shopping for acres to buy a hobby farm where I can shoot.

Married for 10 yrs with a 9 yr old son who also loves guns (due to me and video games).

I love Knights Armament and LMT. I try to stick with LMT MARS lowers and KAC uppers.

What brings me here: I went with an LMT monolithic upper and LMT stainless steel 5R 20" in .204 Ruger for my 9 yr old son. It has much less drop at 300 meters than 5.56 and zero recoil so bought for him to play around with at the range when I shoot. It wears a Leupold MK5 3.6-18

I'll be posting questions soon, just wanted to say hi first.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

KEV204, welcome aboard the 204um. There is a vast knowledge of the 204 Ruger along with other of its variants right here. You have found the place to get answers to your questions AND the place where other enthusiasts call home. This forum isn't as busy as in years gone by but there are quite a few of us that still frequent the forum and share our experience. Stick around, it will be beneficial especially where the 204 Ruger is concerned.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

KEV204: Yes welcome aboard the site. Plenty of help, if needed on questions and answers and a good bunch of guys and gals.
By the way, we like photos of weapons and hunting shots of critters taken and views of the areas hunted in. :D Bill K :)
Curramore
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Standard and Varmint models.

Post by Curramore »

I have been a member since 2016, yet have only made time to join in due to other priorities. I have been shooting and loading the .204ruger calibre since the release, mainly for macropod damage mitigation work (Eastern Grey Kangaroo, Red Kangaroo, sort of your versions of the Whitetail deer, and predator culling (Wild dogs, foxes and cats) in the 100-400 metre range. I am onto my fifth barrel and the third rifle, I think, and favour Tikka firearms due to their accuracy, availability, and price point. .204ruger factory loaded rounds are exceptionally expensive here in the land down under and projectiles and brass are difficult to purchase. I use about 3000 rounds a year, mainly in the winter months. My favourite pills are the .39 grain Sierra Blitzking, 40 grain Hornady Vmax, 40 grain Berger, 45 grain Hornady SP and 40 grain Rem Accutip-V. My favourite powder is Australian Defence Industries ADI BM8208 which is what we export to the US as XBR 8208 etc. I also run a couple of hundred stud Droughtmaster beef cattle and own and operate a commercial feral vertebrate pest management and weed management business. I have been shooting and reloading since about 1975. The .204ruger is unfortunately on the way out here due to the very poor availability of reloading components and the price of factory rounds. The .223rem is so much more readily available and half the price here.
Only shoot them once.....
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Curramore: Interest read/information on you and what and how you do. Yes too bad the 204R is headed out, due to supplies. It is one fine cartridge, which you well know. The 223 will work for you and it is a good one, but not as much fun as the 204, in my humble opinion and I do also own a couple 223 Rem, but they don't get the use that my 17 & 20 calibers do on various critters.
Thank you for your information, and maybe a few photos of your area and such, would be a nice addition, as we love photo's. :D