Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Michael_WA

Post by Michael_WA »

Hi Glen;
Thank you for the response to my post, will build a .204 Ruger when the time comes. Have a brand new .20 caliber, 12 twist Lilja barrel, will start looking around for an action later this year. Although I don't mind fire forming cases for the various wildcats, the idea of a factory formed .20 caliber case has struct my fancy, besides, I own one other center fire rifle in a factory chambering (280 Rem.) why not make it two.

Later........ Michael
Snowshoe Joe

Post by Snowshoe Joe »

Hi all! Randy Thiel here. 49 years young. Business owner. Consulting practice in telecommunications. Live in a tiny town in west central Minnesota near where the lakes and trees end and the prairies start. Nearest stop light is 20 miles away.

Started chasing fox and coyotes on snow 12 years ago with a group of guys who've been doing it since the 60's. It is the best game I've ever played. Two of the guys are now 74, and they both can still walk me into the ground! One of the senior members is a retired gunsmith - which helps, to say the least. We hunt every weekend we can from Thanksgiving till mud comes in the spring.

And, yes, we do prairie dogs. Several trips out west each summer, several thousand rounds apiece a year. Three of us are building 204's, hence my delight in finding this forum.

In this crew, winter rifles are all bolts, mostly wildcats ranging from 22/6mm to 25/300WSM. For prairie rats, 223's about 80% of the time. We like high velocity, long fat barrels, mil dot scopes, Redding titanium bushing dies, and the amazing 17 HMR.

Can't wait to see where the 204 fits in for prairie dogs. I'll be asking more questions than offering ideas. Thanks in advance for your help.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Michael-- Keep us posted on your project.

Randy-- Welcome to the Forum. We're looking forward to your input & stories also. Sounds like you fellas got a good thing going up there. Congrtas on finding the happiness you all share. I think the 17HMR is just the baby brother to the 204. As amazed as I was with my 17, the 204 is identical in accuracy. Just kinda proves that small & very fast can beat the wind. Because it doesn't have to be in it as long. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rattler

Howdy

Post by Rattler »

Gentlemen,
Finally I am among fellow enthusiasts. I see some familair names here, too. I am retired Navy Veteran (26 years). I work at a major retailer for fun(gun) money in Sporting Goods.
I guess I got excited about the .204 when I saw a couple of guys testing it out on PDs on an Outdoor Channel show. After 4 months of i-net and range research (Some info provided by some of you) I bought a Savage 12 VBSS LP. Only 180 rounds later I can honestly say that this round is a blast. I make it to the range twice a week (typically). Here in Nevada there are plenty of opportunities for varmints, but my number one target is coyotes. That said, I personally won't hunt them March-September, but don't put down anyone who does. Every area is different. ..but, for me it's a Fall - Winter thing. I am just learning to reload and hope to gain allot of knowledge from all of you. I see Silverfox is here. He seems to be an encyclopedia of ballistics. Looking forward to hearing some positive and objective things from all.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

Welcome Rattler. It is good to finally hear from you. Sounds like you are taking advantage of all that good Nev. coyote country. I just wish I could make it to the range as often as you. We don't have a rifle "range" close by so we have to drive for 45 minutes out to the badlands in order to shoot. Between the job and kids, just don't have the time to make it out as often as I would like. :?
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Rattler

The Range

Post by Rattler »

Out here we call it the range, but truth is it's just a burm where some guy put in a steel bench. Most people shoot there so as to meet others, minimize environmental concerns and to limit scaring away game. No fees, no time limits (We can even shoot at night!) no crowds...shooting the way it should be. It took me a couple of years after I retired (USN) to get used to that much FREEDOM. It's 10 minutes from my house. Ah, Heaven.
mudturtle

Post by mudturtle »

Well, I guess I might as well introduce myself. My name is Andy Porter and I reside in the great flatness of NW Ohio. Have been hunting waterfowl like a nut since I can remember. I have really gotten into varmint/predator hunting in the last few years. After buying a 22-250 and having a blast, I couldn't resist the thought of a 204 so shortly after the first of the year, I got in trouble with my wife. Bad thing is, I've only had time to put about 20 rounds through it. Oh well, spring is quickly approaching and I'm sure I'll be looking for chucks after we have our beans planted. I have been visiting the site now for a couple weeks and really love all the info. I hope to be chimeing in more as I get some brass built up and start reloading for this caliber.
take only what the good Lord gives you and give back more than you are given
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

Mudturtle:

Welcome. It is good to have you here. It may take awhile to build up brass. I checked with MidwayUSA yesterday and they said they don't know when the next run of Winchester brass will be coming. It looks like Remington will be getting into the brass manufacturing game but nobody knows when. Loaded ammunition still is hard to come by around here. :(

Oh well. In the mean time, I think I will go shooting! :camper:
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Glen

Post by Glen »

Hiya Andy. I'm across state from you in east central Ohio. New Philadelphia. We're on I-77. Welcome to the Forum. I went to Cabelas (Wheeling) Monday & got some 204 ammo in Winchester. Check the one above you. Might get lucky. Looking forward to your input.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
ridgerunnr

midwesterner

Post by ridgerunnr »

Phil here aka Ridegrunnr
From Se Mn and been shooting since I was 7. I am now 37 and have 3 kids. We raise coonhounds and beagles and the kids love living in the country. Started p doggin couple yrs back and got into reloading as well. I had an Encore but found it to be a pain to break the action on a bench after every shot. So..sold it and bought a Savage 204 VLP..My Eradicator scope should ;) :wink: be here today and lookign forward to seing how the gun shoots.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Hi Phil. It's good to have you on board. Looking forward to seeing what that Savage will do. Feel free to jump in anytime.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
harvfire

About myself

Post by harvfire »

Hi all just found this site the other day .Signed on asap. I am a 60 year old retired city of Cleveland, Ohio firefighter/ paramedic 31 yrs.
4 kids 1 girl 3 boys all semi out of the house. 6 grandchildren 2 granddaughters 2 and 3 yrs old living with my lovely wife and I because parents can' t get their heads on straight. Takes the wind out of retirement sails.I love em. I am a shooter and hunter. Don't own a 204 yet still shopping. Most gun shops in area don't even have one. Will have to try Wittakers in Ky.
Brian!! spent 3.5 yrs at Hill AFB 1963/ 1967 loved it out there.Sometimes regret not staying. Rode with a biker club called Sundowners.
NE.Ohio weather report rained all night snowed all day we should break old winter season snowfall record of 101 inchs.
Harvey Lemire
Grafton Ohio
Glen

Post by Glen »

Harvey-- Welcome to the board. I'm down here in New Philadelphia, Ohio & we have a gunshop with several on the shelf. Which one are you interested in?? We'll get you in a new 204Ruger somehow. Just say the word & I'll show you to the shop personally. :D Last time out they had Remington, Savage, CZ, & an Encore. This shop also has the best prices in Tuscarawas & surrounding counties.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
harvfire

Post by harvfire »

Glen
Thanks for quick reply. Yes am ready to buy. Have property down in Monroe county pass by you at least once a month. Stop in Wendys for lunch. Tried FIN and Feather in Ashland for 204 no luck. Next time down should be for turkey on the 18 th. Would like to act sooner than that on the 204 . Have been looking for CZ or Savage. Maybe we can get together, Am always interested in visiting new gun stores. Send me email with phone # and I will call you and we can set up a time to get together.

Thanks Harvey
harvfire@alltel.net
Glen

Post by Glen »

Harvey-- I presume you are stopping at the Dover Wendy's. If so,, the gunshop I'm talking about is to the right off the exit ramp. St Rt 39West goes to Sugarcreek which is where it's at. About 10 minutes from Wendys. I'll e-mail you & we'll work something out. The shop is closed on Sundays & Thursdays. I'll find their hours & e-mail them also.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen