Looking for a new 204??

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Looking for a new 204??

Post by Glen »

:D :D

http://www.savagearms.com/25model_Light ... mbhole.htm

It is actually a 12" twist & the 223 is a 9" twist.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: Looking for a new 204??

Post by Mike »

That's a nice looking Savage! Personally, I wish that they would have made the bottom of the magazine fit flush with the stock. Otherwise, it's a beautiful rifle. And I'm sure that it will drive tacks.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I have some concerns about the action, it's a modified rimfire action, and I worry about the miniature locking lugs I've seen on the Model 40. I'm told that the M25 has an extra lug, but they weren't very substantial to begin with, so they'll bear watching. The Model 40 was also supposed be be available in .223 and .204, but they pulled those before releasing the Hornet model.
I'd like to be wrong about this, and I hope I am, but I wouldn't be comfortable with the safety margin right now. I think I'll wait and let someone ELSE buy one before I do........ :lol:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Even though I'm a big Savage fan I have to agree with you Glenn.
I can't figure out why Savage would want to market these guns. As you said the M-40 was originally supposed to be offered in 223,204 and 22 Hornet. Then they figured out the action was not strong enough. :duh: so they dropped the 223 and 204. Why bother upgrading that action to handle the 223,204?

Savage already has a great factory action in the 12 series. Interchangeable parts and strong enough to shoot almost anything out of it. Why push this new action? What is supposed to be the upside?
And then theres the missing barrel nut.
Why buy a Savage thats stuck in its original state when you can buy a different model that is caliber interchangeable, cheaper, stronger, lighter and has a good deal of after market parts available? Screwing on custom barrels at whim is a great marketing strategy even if it came about by accident.
Calling this thing a lightweight at 8.25lbs is a pretty dumb marketing strategy.

Savage has really been trying some innovative things lately but this gun makes no sense to me.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

glenn asher wrote:I have some concerns about the action, it's a modified rimfire action, and I worry about the miniature locking lugs I've seen on the Model 40. :lol:
I had the same thoughts when I saw it :eew:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Post by chuckhunter »

I am looking for a new Savage in 204 :D I was looking at the Predator until I saw the Model 25. Then I read what you guys are saying. Now, I'm not sure, do you think that the model 25 is junk? Should I just stick with the Predator?..... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Personally I'd take the predator or any other 12 series action over the M-25 any day.
Just in case your not aware. The Savage 12 series or 112 series actions which includes M-10's, M-12's, M-11's, M-16's, and all their long action variants have the unique ability to interchange parts almost at whim.
What does this mean? I can take one action and shoot 223 Rem for breakfast, the 204 Ruger for lunch and top off the day with a 308 Win. if I want.
Simply swap the barrel and possibly the bolt head and you have an entire different gun.
Now I might not want to be swapping tubes all the time but having that ability sure makes a rifle less boring. If I buy a Remchester and shoot out the barrel or decide it just is not performing to my expectations I either need to sell it at a loss or have a gunsmith rebarrel it.
With the Savage I do that with simple hand tools and a vice in around fifteen minutes.
Custom barrel makers are jumping on the Savage bandwagon and making prefit barrels all ready to go. No gunsmithing fees. Whats not to like.

This does not seem to be an option on the M-25. No idea why someone would want to not avail themselves of that option.

chuckhunter

Post by chuckhunter »

Thanks jo191145 I appreciate your opinon.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

While poking around on Savages website I saw they now offer a Model 12 Long Range Precisison Varminter Repeater! Very sweet. The only downfall to the LRPV's is the weight if you are looking for something to carry all day, this probably isn't the best choice.

They are sweet shooters however! :D
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

VOTE # 2 for the Savage LRPV! I love mine and I saw a used one with 100 rounds down the tube go for $675 on Gunbroker.com. I also just picked up a new Savage Model 12FV at Scheels w/ a Simmons scope on it for a lil over $400 out the door. I think they still have a couple left. You might want to put a new stock on the 12FV as the original stock is VERY flimsy. As many other people on this site say "Any Savage will be a shooter!!" Many others know a lot more, but I know my Savage shoots! Good luck. -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

They'll also be offering a 6mmBR this year or so they said anyway. I believe it will be on their M-12 F/O frame.
One might ask why offer such a competitive cartridge in a factory production line gun when its easy enough to buy a custom tube for it. Actually a good question. Savage fan or not their barrels can not compare to a hand lapped custom.

The answer is simple. They polled the Savage freaks and enough folks asked for an entry level BR gun. Savage listened.
Next question is will it make weight class? The 12F/O is a hefty platform.
No it cannot compete in National BR but it should perform nicely at club matches.

I'm trying very hard not to think about it but I have a Shilen 6BR ordered for my 12 F/O frame. Shilen needs to start a third shift :x

Edit: It seems the 6BR will be available in both the 12F and LRPV :D

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Chuckhunter
I learned a long time ago to NEVER buy a new product the first year offered. Especially one that looks questionable like we have here. I'd go with the proven platform of the Predator model. Even better yet ,you could buy a Stevens action, quality barrel, and a Boyds thumbhole stock. Just a thought. Ya know. I wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper to build your own :shock:
Last edited by Hawkeye Joe on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

chuckhunter

Post by chuckhunter »

Thanks Mike... I think that I'm going to go with the Predator :D
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I have no complaints with mine. Go for it !!. Wait , I have one. :roll: The stock is a little to flimsy for a bipod.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)