T/C Encore owners come inside...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
markislive78
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore

T/C Encore owners come inside...

Post by markislive78 »

Hello Guys n' possibly Gals...

I have a 26'' Bull Barrel for my T/C Encore...which "factory" load yields the best groups in yall gun?

Ballistic Coefficient looks much better on the heavier 39-40 grain bullets...

Thanks...

Mark
T/C Encore, 26'' .204 Ruger Bull Barrel, Grey Laminate Thumbhole Stock, Trigger Job, Pillar Bedded Fore-End, Nikon 6.5-20 x 44AO Monarch Illuminated Mil-Dot
Ethan

Re: T/C Encore owners come inside...

Post by Ethan »

I shoot a stainless factory heavy. I have only shot the Hornady 32 and 40, and the Winchester 34's. The Winchesters shot ok but not great. The Vmax 32's shot very well I went through 100 rounds breaking in. I have not been able to get the 40's to shoot, factory or reloaded. I have had very good success with reloads using Sierra 39's and Berger 35's. All my reloads have been with H4895. Once I got enough brass, I stopped buying factory loads so I don't know how the newer stuff is working.

Ethan
markislive78

Post by markislive78 »

Ethan wrote:I shoot a stainless factory heavy. I have only shot the Hornady 32 and 40, and the Winchester 34's. The Winchesters shot ok but not great. The Vmax 32's shot very well I went through 100 rounds breaking in. I have not been able to get the 40's to shoot, factory or reloaded. I have had very good success with reloads using Sierra 39's and Berger 35's. All my reloads have been with H4895. Once I got enough brass, I stopped buying factory loads so I don't know how the newer stuff is working.

Ethan
Thanks for the reply Ethan....I'm gonna buy me a box of V-Max 32's and Sierra 39's, see how they work and go from there.... Dang, did it really take 100rnds to break her in? Sounds like I may need to start relaoding if nothing shoots...
T/C Encore, 26'' .204 Ruger Bull Barrel, Grey Laminate Thumbhole Stock, Trigger Job, Pillar Bedded Fore-End, Nikon 6.5-20 x 44AO Monarch Illuminated Mil-Dot
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Mine shot well right from the start. I can't really say it has gotten any more accurate the more I shoot it. It will group most everything into a bit less then an inch at 100. The Bergers substantially better :eek:
Do a search. I am not sure how much of the old posts are left from before the server change over, but there was a large number of posts on my Encore.
If you reload I would forgo any factory loads and buy some Hornady brass and start loading. If you don't then buy some Hornady 32 Vmax's.
markislive78

Post by markislive78 »

Ethan wrote:Mine shot well right from the start. I can't really say it has gotten any more accurate the more I shoot it. It will group most everything into a bit less then an inch at 100. The Bergers substantially better :eek:
Do a search. I am not sure how much of the old posts are left from before the server change over, but there was a large number of posts on my Encore.
If you reload I would forgo any factory loads and buy some Hornady brass and start loading. If you don't then buy some Hornady 32 Vmax's.
Thanks for the info on the best brass...Already ordered (50) 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing rounds for $28.15 through HSM Ammuntion...smokin deal especially if they group...Usually almost 20 bucks for 20...

http://www.thehuntingshack.com/catalog/ ... retail.pdf

I'll report my findings....
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

My encore shot the 32 V-Max the best with H4895 and H322 powders. It hated 40 grain V-Max bullets with everything I tried. Then I sold the 204 barrel and got a CZ 527 Varminter, and am much happier.
markislive78

Post by markislive78 »

YoteSmoker wrote:My encore shot the 32 V-Max the best with H4895 and H322 powders. It hated 40 grain V-Max bullets with everything I tried. Then I sold the 204 barrel and got a CZ 527 Varminter, and am much happier.
How would you compare avg groups on the 2 guns?

Does Encore used a diff twist rate than your CZ 527 Varminter?
YoteSmoker

Post by YoteSmoker »

My Encore barrel would consistantly shoot .75 inch groups and sometimes .5 or so groups with the 32 V-Max using H4895. Your barrel is a 12 twist and will probably shoot the 32 grainers best. Admitedly, my reloading procedures probably improved over time as the Encore is the first gun I started reloading for. My CZ shoots the same bullet with H322 in the .3s but like I said, I learned a lot more about precision reloading in the last few years, through mentoring and trial and error. Good luck and good shooting. I have some good loads for .223 rem, 7mm08, and 209x50 if you get any of those calibers I'll be happy to share.
markislive78

Post by markislive78 »

YoteSmoker wrote:My Encore barrel would consistantly shoot .75 inch groups and sometimes .5 or so groups with the 32 V-Max using H4895. Your barrel is a 12 twist and will probably shoot the 32 grainers best. Admitedly, my reloading procedures probably improved over time as the Encore is the first gun I started reloading for. My CZ shoots the same bullet with H322 in the .3s but like I said, I learned a lot more about precision reloading in the last few years, through mentoring and trial and error. Good luck and good shooting. I have some good loads for .223 rem, 7mm08, and 209x50 if you get any of those calibers I'll be happy to share.
Thanks for the honest opinion that info is much appreciated!

I'm kinda dissapointed hearing this cause I wanted to shoot the heavier bullets due to thier higher ballistic coefficient and down range energy, guess that's a moot point it it's not gonna group at 100yds and I can't hit anything...LOL! What twist rate is recommended for the heavier bullets 39-40 grain bullets, like a 11 twist?
YoteSmoker

Post by YoteSmoker »

You may find that your 12 twist will shoot the 39 Blitzking well and undoubtedly the 35 Berger, which I am told is excellent on coyotes.
Odawgpw/204
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore w/ 26" stainless BB & SII 3.5x10x42

Post by Odawgpw/204 »

I shoot both 32 & 40gr factory loads. Out of a Factory 26" SS Hvy. barrel. Both shoot well .5" groups @ 100yds if i do my part. the 40gr shoot a little higher. POI about 1" higher.

I just started to reload the 204, I am experimenting with 35gr Bergers and 26grs of H322 And also 27grs of IMR4895. Results are still pending. I have to wait for the 4ft of snow at the range too melt before I can give them a shot.
Encore w/ 26" SS BB Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5x20x50AO