Got my Cooper...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Got my Cooper...

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Picked up my Cooper Model 38 Jackson Varminter in .17 Fireball yesterday.

When I finally make that PD trip (now next year due to my recent health spat) this gun will be in the three gun arsenal which will consist of a 5.56, .204 and the .17 Fireball.

Cooper Firearms of Montana - Model 38 Jackson Varminter in .17 Fireball

AA Claro Walnut
Stainless 22" 1:10 barrel
3-front locking lug bolt action SINGLE SHOT
Fully adjustable single stage match trigger set at 2lbs

Here it is;

It's not a fancy wood gun by any means, just a tastefully finished Satin oil finish. It is comparable to one of my Kimber Walnut Rifles, OK maybe a little better than the Kimbers. The fit and finish is really top notch.

Here is the 3 shot test group from the gun.

I took this for another forum where they may not be as familiar with wildcat type cartridges. Cartridge comparison ( for me a picture of the cartridge /projectile always helps)

L to R

.17HMR
.17 Fireball (20 Grain)
.204 Ruger (32 Grain)
.5.56 NATO (55 Grain)
.270WSM (130 Grain)

Anyway the gun is beautiful and I can't wait to get some glass on it and get some rounds through it.

On the subject of glass I wanted to get some opinions of what you would put on this gun as it relates to magnification. I have two .204's as well and I have a scope on one of them that I was considering moving to this gun and then going with a higher magnificaton on the .204. The scope I am thinking about moving to this gun is a Leupold VXL 6.5X20X56MM with a varmint Retical, its the one I have on my Noveske .204. Then I was going to get a custom VXIII 8.5X25X50MM with M1 turrets, vamint retical and maybe my name or something clevor engraved on it, or maybe even some custom paint on it.

What do you think about that? Do you think that a 6.5X20X56 on this Cooper is overkill? I like to have high magnification on my guns where I am going to be shoting little targets far away, makes sense right? Or do you think that this gun would be better suited to the highest magnification VX7? Which is an 18 power I believe.....

Looking for feedback as I want to get something on order right away....
Doveryai no Proveryai
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Got my Cooper...

Post by acloco »

Very nice rifle indeed.

I would go the VX7 up to 18 power. My 17 Rem was about done at 550 yards. Granted, it was NOT a Cooper, but accuracy was done at that range.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Remember, Todd, the air is clearer out West than in Missouri, so clarity will get you almost as far as scope power. Leupold's 6-18 is plenty, or whichever you feel most comfortable with. Remember you'll probably have it dialed back to 15x or less, due to mirage, too, so there's not much advantage with more than 20X, except in early morning.
I've used a 3-9 Burris on my .17HMR out to 250 yards with no problem, due to the clear air in SD, so just get whichever one you feel most comfortable with. Also, since PDs are sun worshippers, there's no need to have a really "bright" scope, they won't be out much if it's cloudy anyway, in other words, a 40mm objective is plenty, unless, of course, you just WANT it, then all bets are off........... :D , but I like to keep the scope mounted LOW as possible, 'cuz I have a bull neck. :lol:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

Sweet rifle! Too rich for my checking account, but I can still appreciate a thing of superb craftsmanship.
richnmib

Post by richnmib »

That is really nice. How long was the wait? I am toying with the idea of getting one in 17AH...
If this is heaven...How bad is heck??
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Post by Pydpiper »

Beautiful rifle!
Another scope to consider is the new Bushnell 6500 series, most that hold one say it is above the quality of Leopold, unfortunately so is the cost.
It is worth a look.
http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflesc ... 4305md.cfm
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Nice stick!! Congratulations on a fine rig. I hope you get to enjoy it for many many rds!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
birddog
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Varmint Extreme ordered: expected in Sep/Oct 2008

Post by birddog »

Awesome! I've got a cooper on order myself. A Varmint Extreme in .204 Ruger. I'm putting a Zeiss conquest 6.5-20 x 50 with rapid z varmint reticle on it.

I ordered the rifle back in mid April, but was told it could be up to 6 months to get it (the wait is hard).

How long did it take for yours to arrive from the time you ordered?

Birddog
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

birddog wrote:Awesome! I've got a cooper on order myself. A Varmint Extreme in .204 Ruger. I'm putting a Zeiss conquest 6.5-20 x 50 with rapid z varmint reticle on it.

I ordered the rifle back in mid April, but was told it could be up to 6 months to get it (the wait is hard).

How long did it take for yours to arrive from the time you ordered?

Birddog
Edit - Answered my own question about the retical

I didn't order mine as there seems to be a steady stock of new Coopers from Various Gun shops that sell on Gunbroker. From the time I decided I wanted one to the time it was in my hands was just a couple three weeks. Not too mention I bought mine for about $200 less than what Whittakers in KY quoted me on the very same gun and I ouldn't be happier.

I am shopping for scopes right now.
Doveryai no Proveryai
lakota
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by lakota »

Nice!

My buddy has one in .17 Remington and it is a shooter for sure.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

If you get a chance take a peek through the Zeiss Conquest birddog mentioned. Most impressive in the clarity department.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Nice looking Cooper! I've got my heart set on a Cooper just have to decide which flavor! Hope you have a great time trying it out and don't forget to take lost of pictures. Gary
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Stayed up late last night lapping and aligning rings... Here is the result, looks really good and I should be able to get to the range today.

Doveryai no Proveryai
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I'm glad I'm not there 8) , Todd, I'd have drooled all over your pretty little rifle by now. With the 1-10 twist, you'll probably be "stuck" with the 20s and 25s, or lighter, bullets, but that's just dandy with the .17 Fireball/.17 Mach IV anyway.

You'll probably nose around and find out about all those neat little one-man operations like Calhoon and the other guys who make .17 bullets under a full moon, after chants and killing a chicken, etc. and make bullets in weights from 15 to 37 grains, but stick with the medium weight bullets in your new blaster, it should make you very happy.............
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
coopersrcool

Post by coopersrcool »

Oh boy...So it starts.....We Cooper owners know exactly where you are in the sickness. Early stages, right now but its now is in your system... growing . It will get worse. Don't fight it, it won't help. Resign yourself to the fact that a regular Cooper fix will be required........
....heres my first eight..

Congratulations......Great Rifles...ENJOY