Hawkeye's Hawkeye

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Hawkeye Joe

Hawkeye's Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Well, I bore scoped my LRPV with my Hawkeye and I can't find a dang thing wrong with it. As a matter of fact, It's the smoothest Savage bore I own. My 6.5/284 isn't bad either. The other two Savages look like a train yard of railroad tracks. For some reason my Savage stainless barrels are very nice, and all my chrome molly barrels look like crap. It's FINALLY nice to see the inside of a barrel :!:

Here's 3 of my LRPV

My Les Baer. Man, Is it smooooooth :D

Here's my Savage Predator in .204 and BGTV .223. YUK :puke: The .223 is the better of the two and is quite a shooter at 300 yards :?.The Predator also shoots well :? :? .

Here's BUDDY. I now know why he ripped the front of his dog house off. SO HE'LL FIT :lol:
Last edited by Hawkeye Joe on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Hawkeye's Hawkeye

Post by glenn asher »

That's why I don't want a Hawkeye, they tell me too much. I do much better wallowing in ignorance :lol: :lol: :lol:

For what it's worth, my Savage's .204 barrel cleaned up after my PD shoot, in about 15 minutes, total, pretty danged nice for having 250 rounds through it. It's pretty smooth, too, just like the .223's pipe. Savage CAN do stainless barrels really well, but it's a good testament that their blued pipes shoot well, too. I just wish they cleaned as easily as the stainless tubes.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Nice bore pictures Mike, And a great picture of your lab. I don't know if i would want to look down my 12fv barrel any more. But every once in a while when i have a good day at the range. It will print a group that will even surprise me. One day i'll have a better barrel put on this action.
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

mike my lrpv barrels look real good also except for the 1-9 tw 22-250 has a lot of tool marks also
last friday i picked up the savage Predator in 223 and went to break it in it fouled realy bad cleaned it and looked at it with the hawkeye it had the above average tool marks but also some deep pits in it like bubbles were bored thru so tuesday it started makeing the trip back to savage
hopefully for a short turnaround
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Robert
The only issue I found with my LRPV is the grooves running parallel to the lands in the throat area. The first picture in my original post shows them well. Other than that it's nice and smooth. Haven't shot it much since the last postal shoot. I'll get one or two nice groups then it's all over the place. Clean it up and it's good to go for another ten shots. We'll get back at it when my target gets here and see if we can't find the problem. Ever since I got my Les Baer, the LRPV has taken a back seat :oops: . I did however shoot a perfect score with my Baer at the last 300 yard prone match :D . Not sure if the guys are gonna let me shoot that rifle in the match after that :squee: .
My Savage Predator only has about 150 rounds down the pipe and is about to get a lot more. I'm starting the weekly 'off hand" rifle match at my club. It looks like a lot of fun with a 1 inch bull's-eye. And it will be good practice for the up coming fox/coyote season. Them are some sneaky critters and gotta be ready for that quick shot.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition