Help me choose a rifle in .204

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Millsy
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Help me choose a rifle in .204

Post by Millsy »

Hey guys, I have decided that a .204 is just what I'm looking for.
I've looked at all the manufacturers that produce rifles in .204 and have narrowed my choice down to 3.

1.Tikka T3 Varmint stainless with optional set trigger and 6 round mag.
2. Savage 12 Varminter low profile.- may upgrade trigger if I dont like the accu-trigger
3. Sako 85 Varmint laminated stainless.

I realise the Sako will be more pricey but if the extra $$ spent is worth it I would go Sako.
If the Savage and Tikka are comparable in quality to the Sako I would not spend the extra.
I'll be reloading my own eventually so wont be tied down by rifles being fussy with factory loaded ammo.

Any opinions most welcome.

Millsy
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Re: Help me choose a rifle in .204

Post by Robert harrel »

since i have never had the tika or sako in hand or shot them i will give my vote for the savage
they have been real good shooters for me and i like the low profile better than the bvss
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

First of all welcome to the forum.
Secondly opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one! :lol:
So here's mine: #1 Sako, most expensive of the ones listed but also the best quality.
#2 Tikka, good quality without the high price of the Sako.
#3 Savage, people claim that they are great shooters out of the box but they don't light my fire (others around here love them).
I suggest that if you can, get yours hands on each of them and see if they feel good and look good to you.
Often rifles are more than just a tool to get a job done (a Chevy will get you down the road just as quickly as a Rolls Royce). Remember pride of ownership will go on long after the price is forgotten.
Hope that helps.
Gary
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

Although I have not shot the Tikka, I handled one in the store lately as we are looking for my son's first rifle. I was very impressed with the quality of the Tikka, especially the trigger. It was very smooth and nice. It also has a fully floated barrel. For the money, I think it is a great deal. We will be getting him one in a month or two.

One possible draw back is that the actions are all the same length. I have heard that they simply stop the bolt and put a block in the magazine for the shorter actions. This would be a disadvantage for the .204 but is not a problem for standard sized cartridges.
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

well all the savages I have ever had have been shooters, however I have never shot a sako or tikka so I cant compare. Rick in oregon has a sako so you might ask him about his. I think all of those guns you have listed will be very good shooters.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Given those three choices, I'd definitely opt for the Sako. It's a significant step above the other two, IMHO. The purchase price will only hurt once, while the smile on your face will be there every time you pick up the rifle.

If I were to cheat and veer off your list, I'd recommend giving a Cooper serious consideration.
Sub-caliber
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 Varmint, 2 Howa 1500 Varmint, CZ 527

Post by Sub-caliber »

I have owned each of the rifles you mentioned. Please note - "owned". The best and most accurate rifle in my opinion out-of-the box is made by HOWA (1500 Varminter). I have now set up nine of these rifles in 204 and 22-250 caliber for fellow varmint shooting friends. Each will shoot sub-caliber shot groups. Of these two calibers the 22-250 has a very slight edge in accuaracy versus the 204. The only rifles out-of-the box that will shoot with the HOWA's are my Styers. My custom rifles are the only ones that will out perform the Howa and Steyrs.

The 204 (40 gr V-Max) has a andvantage versus the 22-250 (50 gr V-max) in the wind and overtakes the 22-250's energy numbers at 500 yards.

To get maximum accuracy from a Howa I would highly recommend replacing the factory trigger with a "Timney" trigger set at 1.5-2.0 pounds. Good luck and safe hunting with whatever brand of rifle you choose.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Sub,

That's a strong measage, you got my attention. Your term sub-caliber group is new to me. Does that mean less than .204 groups for the 204 and less than .224 inch groups for the 22-250?
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Go with a Savage 12FV and use the rest of the money for GOOD glass and a B & C stock for your Savage.
Sub-caliber
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 Varmint, 2 Howa 1500 Varmint, CZ 527

Post by Sub-caliber »

Sub-caliber does in fact mean the shot group measures under .204 or .224 for the 22-250; essentially the bullets overlap. I noted with interest in a recent magazine article testing various rifles of different calibers the only rifle to shoot sub-caliber was a Weatherby Sub MOA which is made by HOWA and idential to a HOWA 1500 Varminter. The average shot group, factory ammo, was .388 with the best group at .177. A HOWA was not available for this test. Of the 15-20 rifles that were tested none came close to the HOWA manufactured Weatherby Sub-MOA. The best shot group I have been able to achieve is .125 with a Howa 22-250 and .138 with a 204. Both used factory Hornady ammunition. I have not tested the 204 Howa with the 32 gr V-max. I prefer the 40 gr for long distace as it overtakes the 32 gr beyond 300-350 yards. For the 22-250 I use the 50 gr V-Max. It is important for you to know that some rifles will not shoot the 40 gr V-Max as well as they shoot the 32 GR V-max. If you go with the 204 the cheapest place I have found to buy new factory ammo is Mid-South Shooters Supply. This does not necessairly hold true for other calibers. Good luck with whatever choice you make; be safe.
Millsy
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Millsy »

Thanks guys, some good advice there.
I'm leaning towards the Sako but i'll see how all 3 feel against my shoulder and go from there.

Millsy
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Sub,

Are you doing anything to these Howa rifles, aside from the trigger swap that you mentioned? I don't doubt that Howa makes a good rifle, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that a stock Howa is going to consistently shoot sub-1/4" groups.
Muslmutt
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter

Post by Muslmutt »

I like the Sako, unless you want a rifle you don't have thow a fit over when it get scratched. What I mean is that I have rifles I can just go hunt with, then I have rifles I sometimes carefully hunt with on pretty days. I like the Savage for a tough, accurate hunting(etc...) rifle.
rfurman24
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12

Post by rfurman24 »

When I buy a gun , either a rifle or a shotgun, It needs to be able to shoot before I care about looks. I have owned one Howa and one Savage. I have been around numerous other Savages and a few Sakos. The Howa did shoot well but not as well as the Savages and both out shot the Sakos. I do like nice looking guns but who really cares if the do not shoot?
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

My 2 cents.
Buy the Savage and a barrel wrench. ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .