Murphy's law

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
hozz57

Murphy's law

Post by hozz57 »

Why oh why did murphy have to strike on the day I decided to shoot my Postal shoot targets? :mad: ?

I would post pictures but I was too disgusted to take any. :eew:

My Savage model 12FV single shot was shooting groups that averaged .4 inches the week before and I figured it would easily out-shoot my remmy XR100. After putting my targets out I took some sighter shots at another target and all looked good. I then took one more shot at the free target and saw that I was right on the bull. Thats when Murphy got there. My 1st shot at the competition target was 2.5 inches up and right then 3 shots in the bull and the last shot 4 inches high. The only thing I could figure was that my scope was failing, so I took the scope off and replaced it with my buddy's 36X target scope but I still was getting some major fliers.

I know I'll figure out what's going on with this rifle :huh: I just wish it would have waited to screw up 'til after the shoot.

PS. If anybody has had the same major flier issue please let me know what fixed it. Why isn't it consistantly bad?
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Re: Murphy's law

Post by KVW »

What bullet are you shooting and how many rounds do you have down your tube. I had the same problem w/39gr bk's. After about 400 rounds the gun seemed to hate them. They shot lights out b-4 though. Changed to 35 gr berger and all is well again :D
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

+1 to KVW, had the same thing happen with 39 SBKs in my AR.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

Thanks for the responses guys!

I am shooting 39gr sierra BKs, mainly because they have shot so well out of my Remmy XR100. I have about 400 rounds through the Savage now. I wish I would have known about this sooner. So does anyone know why this phenomenon happens? :huh: I guess I'll try some bergers and see what happens. :chin:
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. My first group on the test was about one of the worst ones that I've shot with my rifle. the last group wasn't very pretty either. Dave
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

My Savage Predator had the same issues. Lack of cleaning time was my problem. While shooting the postal target I put three in a .150 group, then one 1 inch left, and another 1 inch below that. The proof's in the blue pudding in my case.. Your results may vary..
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

Hawkeye Joe,
I wish it was something as easy as cleaning. I ususally take 2 days to clean my rifles: patch out with Butches bore shine, scrub with Butche's and bronze brush and then Wipe-out until there's no hint of blue.

I'm leaning towards the crown having a problem. Although I still can't believe that this rifle would just all of a sudden start squirting flyers after some real good shooting sessions and I am not buying into the rifle liking the 39gr sierra one day and spraying it the next. :wall:
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

I have 160 rnds through my Savage mod 12 with no "factory flyers". When I don't do something correctly, I know it the second my finger touches that trigger. I know something is amiss and I have to stand up and/or regain control of my breathing.

My barrel doen't like the 32 vmax. .. . it loves the 40gr. Working on the postal shoot, I lighted a few 32's through the paper with supprising results. I wonder if it wasn't me the whole time? :chin: :chin:

My wife hates it when I shoot paper, I clean between every 5 shots and I'll spend 3+ hours that night cleaning. I enjoy it and I take my time to do it right.
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson