Anybody shoot a ruger 77vt in 204?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
furhntr
.204 Ruger Guns: cz 527 varmint

Anybody shoot a ruger 77vt in 204?

Post by furhntr »

I can pick this gun up from my neighbor for 400.00 and was wondering how they shoot. I would shoot his but he sold his scope and I don't have an extra one at this time. Just want to know what you guys think of this rifle.
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Re: Anybody shoot a ruger 77vt in 204?

Post by Bunnybuster »

It is well worth the $400, if it has the newer trigger that is actually adjustable.

Ruger was still shipping the junk trigger when the 204 came out. With that trigger as it came from the factory, it was darn near impossible to get good accuracy out of the rifle. Timney does make a replacement trigger if it does have the old trigger.

If you have access to a trigger gauge, you can check the existing trigger, to see how it is. You want a good clean increase in pressure until the trigger breaks. I had one of the early Number 1s made in 204. The trigger on it would break around 4-lbs, after it would ramp up and down a few times getting as high as 6-lbs, and dropping back to 3-lbs, before rising again. To complicate the problem, it had a huge amount of travel in it.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

bunny, The ruger VT has a 2-stage trigger. A far cry from the std mkII deal.....

fur, I shoot the vt in 204, and like it. Growing up with the older mod77 varminters, I sure could not come to like the new style beavertail stocked clunker. IMO, it is a bench gun because of the clunky stock made from a laminated 4x4 post. It is a pain to carry and shoot off of sticks in the field. For true love to hit me in the heart, that piecer had to go. And go it did with an ebay SA mkII walnut sporter. It's not bad to carry now, and rides sticks better. And is just fine from a rest. If you can like the stock, I have never heard of a VT that wasn't a shooter. Don
Steve V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint, Ruger 77 V/T

Post by Steve V »

furhntr, buy the gun; even it has the 2 stage trigger. last spring I consistantly killed prairie dogs out to 400 yards and that was with the crappy trigger. Literally 20 minutes ago finished putting on a Rifle Basics trigger on it and it now has one of the best, lightest trigger pulls of all my varminters. :D Buy the gun, spend another $100 on a trigger and you'll have a great shooter. By the way, the new trigger is very easy to install and adjust.