XR-100

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

XR-100

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

What happened to the XR-100? I didnt see it on remingtons website or in the cataloge?
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: XR-100

Post by BabaOriley »

:lol: Try here.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

:lol: Yes But it doesnt have it in the catolague and the its not on the main remington website..you have to search it to get the link. So my question is did they discontinue it or slow down the production?
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Not real sure, but I seem to remember reading that they discontinued production because there wasn't enough demand for that model. There are some available at some of the gun brokers on the net and I think I have seen a couple of them at stores like Scheel's in the last year.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I've wondered what the difference is between the XR-100 and the VLTHSS. One has a gray stock and slightly different shaped forearm, the other has a brown stock and the VLTHSS has a floor plate while it appears the XR-100 does not.

Otherwise, are there any differences?

Jim
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the XR-100 was strictly a single-shot rifle while the 700 VLSS Thumbhole is a repeater. So, like you mentioned, the magazine and the floorplate seems to be the only difference I can see.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

Remington closed out the XR100's at the end of 07 and the begining of 08. I got a NIB 204 for $625.00 shipped back then off of Gun Broker. XR 100 is a model 7 with a 40X trigger and is a single shot like Silverfox said.
204 try it you'll like it!
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

My friend just called me yesterday to report he picked up two XR-100's languishing at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Bend, Oregon, a .204 Ruger and .223 Remington. They are built on the single shot 40-X action without the extra steps from the custom shop. They can still be found in some stockrooms. If you want a single shot Remington action for varmint hunting they are a good deal. Many folks are turned off by the single shot aspect, but the repeating Model 700 action is very easily bent by improperly tightening the action screws in a poorly bedded stock, where the SS action is a bit more rigid and consistent. If I didn't have a collection of SS bolt rifles, I'd pick one up. With the advent of the Savage precision action they are less desirable though.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wrangler: "Less desirable"? I'll believe that when I see Savages appear in the equipment lists of the top BR shooters. I'll freely admit they are quite accurate out of the box, but dang!, they're still ugly, cheap looking (bent sheet metal safety, barrel nut) and to me at least, bulky and clunky.

Flame suit all zipped up! :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Flame suit all zipped up! :lol:
I'll cover your flanks, Rick. :eek:

I give Savage a lot of praise for making very accurate rifles at affordable prices. In that arena, they are hard to beat. At the same time, all of that accuracy comes at the expense of aesthetics, fit and finish. That's not a knock on Savage in any way. At the price points that these guns go for, choices have to be made. I'd rather have accuracy than aesthetics if I was limited to one of the two as well.

With all of that said, I'm a fan of beautiful and accurate rifles. I'd rather have a smaller collection of rifles that make my heart skip a beat than a safe full of average stuff (no offense to the average stuff).

In the end, shoot whatever puts a smile on your face. And never, ever make fun of another man's rifle (no one here does that anyway). :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike, you're right of course, and the opinion is mine, and mine alone (along with other fine rifle lovers). If I love it for it's beauty and it does not shoot, it is my quest to set out to work on it until it does. That's what rifle loonys do.

There's Chevys, Fords and Dodges, also BMW, Porsche and even Yugo. We all have our favorites and wants, mine are well known. It was not my intention to offend anyone here. I'm a fan of both fine rifles, AND accuracy......I want it all!

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle........ (save longer, get the good stuff when you can). :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

You might want to take a peek at the 2009 models, they have changed the barrel nut on the "nicer" models, and changed the bolt release/sear location to the front of the trigger guard, it helps the appearance quite a bit.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:It was not my intention to offend anyone here. I'm a fan of both fine rifles, AND accuracy......I want it all!

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle........ (save longer, get the good stuff when you can). :D
Rick, I hope that my post did not insinuate that you had offended anyone. I was merely agreeing with what you had to say.

A very wise friend of mine likes to say: "Go first class. If you can't afford to go first class, wait until you can." :)
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Is my bud Rick bashing ugly rifles again :roll: :P Savage is also the new rifle supplier for our state troopers :eek: . I just recently purchased a new Savage BAT/S for the sole purpose of out shooting my buddies Bushmaster Custom Perimeter sniper rifle in .308 with Remington action. He was so proud because it was guaranteed to shoot sub moa out to 600 yards. Well,The battle of the 308's is on and the Savage shoots groups half the size of the custom Bushy. Mission accomplished. I shot several 5 shot groups under a half inch at 200 yards with Reloader 15. I love whoopin pretty guns with my ugly ducklings!! Here she is... Isn't she UGLY :lmao: . I pulled the trigger this morning WITHOUT ear protection. They're still ringing :wall:

Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

I'll take 3rd class transport over 1st class walking anyday! :eek: KB
' Pay it forward buddy '