204 and barrel length

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
POP

204 and barrel length

Post by POP »

Has anyone noticed a big difference with 22 -26" barrel length? I have noticed a lot companies are making them with shorter barrels.
Racr350
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Re: 204 and barrel length

Post by Racr350 »

Im sure there are more reasons. But for ME..the biggest reason in having a shorter barrel is versatility. Rifles with shorter barrels are not only lighter, but easier to manuever while walking and stalking. I still prefer longer barreled rifles just because i sit in one position instead of walking around but its all about prefrence. I did read an article that said accuracy is not affected as much as one would think. Sure velocity drops but accuracy is still on par with the longer barrels. Hope this helps a little for now. Im sure someone more knowledgable will be able to add to this. :D
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .204 (BSA Platinum 6-24x44) <-- The Favorite of Course
Rem 700 ADL .243 (BSA Contender 3-12x40)
Sav 93FV .22WMR (BSA Contender 4-16x40)
Rug 10/22 Synthetic/SS .22LR (BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40)
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Just my personal opinion based upon what I've read and been told. The builder of my .204 upper said to keep the minimum barrel length for a .204 at 22" for accuracy.

From what I've read, the more velocity you have on the bullet, the more stable the bullet is at longer distances, as once the velocity starts to fall off, so does the accuracy, and the bullet starts to become unstable. I've found this to be reasonably true, as my longer range shots get a lot more 'iffy'..as far as consistency...

There is a chart based on a barrel makers research that gives the specific velocity losses based on barrel length out on the internet, where he published his findings through experimentation by cutting a barrel down one inch at a time and measuring the velocity after each cut & crown job. Maybe someone will have the site where it's located. I thought I had it in my 'Favorites' file, but can't locate it..
AR
Factory/Factory
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

POP

Post by POP »

thanx guys

Post by stevecrea »

I have several reactions to your question and the above posts:

First, the Bulberry test is very interesting. However, it does not reveal anything about the powder used. I am aware that a number of powders have been developed that achieve high velocities with shorter barrels. One of my friends, who is quite knowledgeable and has been in the military, told me that the military has used powders that achieve max velocity in 16 inch barrels with the 5.56. In this vein, I would surmise that handloaders using a chrono, could perhaps achieve relatively high velocities in shorter barrels using faster burning powders, other things being equal.

With regard to accuracy, I believe that many tests have shown that short, stiff barrels may be more accurate than long barrels.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I wouldn't argue about the difference a powder could make.... but, if all things are equal, it seems to me the longer barrel (26" vs. 16") would still provide a higher velocity and therefore more bullet stability at longer (600yds +) distances...

Under 300yds, there probably wouldn't be any difference noticed..
AR
Factory/Factory
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

My 26 inch barreled .204 gives me about 275fps more than my 22 inch barrel using identical loads. When I ordered my Cooper with a 24 inch barrel, they told me the accuracy guarantee is only good for 22 inches or longer. :chin:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition