Now I'm officially a .204 member -

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Baja_Traveler
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12BTCSS

Now I'm officially a .204 member -

Post by Baja_Traveler »

Picked up my Savage Model 12 in .204 yesterday and wasted no time in setting the scope and bore sighting it. I've been using Vortex binoculars now for about a year and really like them, so I thought I'd give the Vortex Viper scope a try - it's the 6.5 - 20 x 44 with the BDC reticle sitting on top of Leupold mounts and rings. So far I can say this is one sturdy scope - built like a tank, optics are nice and clear, and I really like the side focus and target turrets on the thing. I think Vortex will be my go-to scope from now on. Took it out to the range today, and was able to keep the five shot groups at one inch or less under less than ideal conditions using factory Remington 32 grain loads. Next time out I'll work on longer ranges, but I put a few shots out at the 200 and 300 yard banks, and hit the dirt clods I was aiming at, so it is one flat shooter! Can't wait for my powder order to come so I can start working up some reloads for it.
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .204
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: Now I'm officially a .204 member -

Post by surfclod »

That a nice looking rig you have there.

I am hearing more good reviews about Vortex optics these days. They are very popular in Australia, so it is always nice to get a few more quality options out there.

Is your rifle a single shot version or a repeater?
Baja_Traveler
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12BTCSS

Post by Baja_Traveler »

I believe the rifle was billed as a 4+1, which I took to mean that the magazine held 4 rounds + one in the chamber, but I was able to load 5 rounds in the magazine easily. Of all the rifles I own, this has become my favorite - it is extremely well built - a bit on the heavy side, so I don't see myself lugging it for miles - but it sure is fun to shoot, and the weight makes for near zero recoil.
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .204
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Baja, Welcome to the family! By the way you will soon find that one just isn't enough! :eek: Start saving your pennies!
Man I love this stuff! Gary
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Nice stick. Kind of interesting that the stock has two dark eyes on the sides....covering crossbolts to keep the stock stiff?? Interesting. 204 Ultramagnum?

Nice setup!!!
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Baja,,, Don't you know that civil rules prohibit posting pictures of beautiful rifles that make old guys like me want to spend our resources to get one....and to top it off you make claims that it shoots as well.... What's the shooting society coming to these days... :eek:

Seriously, that is a great looking set up and I'm really glad to hear you are happy with the scope... I had a chance to look over the Vortex line at the NRA gathering a couple of years ago and was really impressed....one is on my next "to buy" list 'when my ship comes in'...Maybe a Christmas present to myself... :lol:

Welcome to the forum... :D
AR
Factory/Factory
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

That's a nice lookin rig you got there Baja!! This is just my guess,, educated of course :lol: ,, but I believe it will look even better with a couple "good" varmints laying next to it!! :wink:

:lol: :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Nice looking thunder stick ya' have there.

I was going to get one of those until I saw the Remington flavor just like that (VLTHSS) for a significantly reduced price. You're right, a tad heavy for toten' around but they are awfully nice from a bench.

Enjoy...

Jim