Something Special.

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Something Special.

Post by Wiiings12 »

Recently my grandpa passed away due to several forms of cancer, and old age. For some reason he left me as the only beneficiary on his life insurance plan. I have no need for the money and I would like to buy something that I will never get rid of, so I can always remember him. In all honesty I cant think of anything that's been in my family longer than a rifle. So I would like buy a rifle with the money. To sort of honor him, and what he loved to do! I just don't know where to look for a really high end rifle! Can you guys recommend anything?
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Something Special.

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yes, in one word: "COOPER".
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

I'd have to second Rick's suggestion. Maybe look for a caliber he was found of or hunted with.
Good luck and hope you find what your looking for. Give it some time and thought.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Cooper would be my suggestion too. They shoot as good as they look.
ImageImage
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Of course, you could commission exactly what you want, from several gunsmiths. Greg Tannel, McRee Precision, GAP, Straight Shot Gunsmithing, etc...

Sit down and write a couple of "must haves" on the list. Research stocks, barrel profiles, bolt handles, optics, mounts, etc.

If you plan on hunting/taking afield, don't forget to take that into consideration. In other words, don't end up with a 12 pound rifle and and a 4 pound scope...they just don't pack well. :)

If you plan on a big boomer, go with a 338 RUM with a twist that will stabilize a 300 gr SMK (and a muzzle brake!!!). Identical or better ballistics than a 338 Lapua and easily beats the 300 RUM/etc in knockdown power (5500 ft lbs).
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I wouldn't have recommended a Dakota rifle before this week, because of the guy who owned the company, but I noticed today that Remington has just bought Dakota Arms. I don't know what your budget will tolerate, but if you want a really high-end rifle, they sure make some pretty ones. Them, or the Coopers, or New Ultra Light Arms, are very nice rifles, though NULA doesn't do wood stocks, which I personally think belong on a really nice rifle. Kimber is making some eye-catching rifles now, also.
I'm sure your grandad would want you to get something you can use, so by all means, use it when you get it. Best of luck in your choice, whatever it may be.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

Consider getting a really high end .22 LR.

The lowly 22 rimfire will likely be the first experience any new shooters will experience so even if the next generation are not avid shooters, a .22 always has a useful place in a home.

If you are like me your shooting style or rifle of choice changes over time. Tactical (ie Ar-15, SCAR, AK-47, etc) may be a hobby for a few years then maybe benchrest shooting, then it may change to the long range magnums. If you get a nice .22 it will never get out of style and always be something you can take out and use.

I purchased a Kimber a couple years back with this in mind, its a really nice gun. A Cooper or Dakota as mentioned are a step above that. Just remember pretty wood is hard to take out in the field and stay perfect. :oops:
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

A Cooper would be nice, but top on my list would be a custom-built rig. Pick out what you want and have one of those gunsmiths mentioned in a post up above put that rig together for you. It would truly be a one-of-a-kind rifle by which you could honor and remember your grandpa with.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

I have no idea how much you plan to spend, but a true Full Custom rifle begins in price about where the top-end Dakota semi-custom rifles leave off in price.

If you want a true custom rifle, look at the builders listed in the American Custom Gun Makers Guild. They are indeed craftsmen whose numbers are dwindling, primarily due to the age of some of them. Some of them are fairly young and upcoming talent.

Believe me, a full custom from a builder like Stephen Billeb or Duane Wiebe will be like nothing you have ever seen before, and it will make all the ones listed above appear to be Wall Mart salesmen. And please, before the angry PM's start to arrive, I personally own some of the work of a couple of the smiths mentioned here by others. They're good but not even comparable to a rifle built by a member of the ACGG.

The fact is a total custom rifle built by a member of the ACGG is the best there is. And few working smiths today are members because most buy parts and pieces from others and put them all together in a "custom rifle". That doesn't fit the ACGG model of craftsmen.

http://www.acgg.org/

JMO - BCB
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

BCB: True indeed. For a while back in the early 80's, I worked nights in Pete Grisel's shop. As you are most likely aware, Pete is a respected member of the ACGMG, and builds rifles beyond mortal description. Anyway to make your point in reference to the extreme grade of craftsmanship these men exhibit, I THOUGHT I knew how to run a file when I first arrived at the shop..............wrong! Pete can draw-file a piece of cold-drawn steel freehand to within .001". I learned much in a very short time from a very gifted craftsman and in the process gained both respect and a much better understanding of what "very fine" actually means. A rifle from any of these folks is a true treasure and a work of art.

The gunmakers of the Guild produce the very finest sporting rifles in the world, period. Wiiings12, this sounds like an interesting tribute to your grandpa, let us know what you end up doing no matter what path you take.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Its hard to argue with the metalworking capabilities that Pete Grisel has shown. Although I don't believe he is still an ACGG member, he was at one time, and he turned out beautiful custom rifles. I might be wrong on the ACGG membership, but he is no longer listed in the membership list of gunsmiths

Today Pete is best know for his Sunny Hill bottom metal products such as shown at the link:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1273 ... FLOORPLATE

Here's a link to pics of a couple of his rifles:

http://totalrecoil.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... om-guns-2/

http://totalrecoil.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... stom-guns/

The superb engraver mentioned at the second link, Gene Koevenig, also whittled some pretty good American Classic Style stocks when he was younger, but is known for his metal engraving. He was a good friend of my father and grandfather and a very fine gentleman that I was fortunate to meet when I was younger..... His daily vocation was kind of unusual.... For years he was the head of maintenance at MT. Rushmore and spent many days hanging over the faces of the Presidents in the off-tourist season applying a concrete/granite mix to natural cracks in the faces. If left untouched, water would get into the cracks in the winter and freeze and chip the surface of the Presidents' faces.

-BCB
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Post by Wiiings12 »

Holy Cow! Those are some amazing rifles! I think I am gonna go for something a LOT less artistic though. I don't think I could live with myself if I put a scratch or nick in one of those pieces! I am really liking the look of the Coopers, but would prefer to not have a single shot.
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Wiiings12 wrote:Holy Cow! Those are some amazing rifles! I think I am gonna go for something a LOT less artistic though. I don't think I could live with myself if I put a scratch or nick in one of those pieces! I am really liking the look of the Coopers, but would prefer to not have a single shot.
Cooper now make repeaters.

Here's a link to a good place to look... Look under the "Guns Classified" tab. Mark will fix you right up.

http://www.firststopguns.com/

-BCB