Group Size

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
ssm
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger VT M77

Group Size

Post by ssm »

This is a general question, What are expected average group sizes for a .204 from 100-500 yds?
I shot two .3" groups this week at 100 yards, but past that they don't look very impressive, but I don't know what is accepatable for just an average shooter.

I am shooting a Savage Model 10 Predator( the one is Brush Camo), 32 grain bullets, 4.5x30x50 Bushnell.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: Group Size

Post by Mike »

How many shots in those .3" groups? Whether it was three or five, you should still feel good about your results. There are a lot of people out there who would dearly love to have a gun capable of such groups and the skill to make it happen. :)
Baja_Traveler
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12BTCSS

Post by Baja_Traveler »

My out of the box model 12 shoots 5 shot groups at around 1 inch using factory Remington 32 grain ammo. I'd be ecstatic if I was shooting .3" groups! I haven't had a chance to try other factory ammo to see if it likes anything else better. When the temperatures falls a bit I'll go back out to the range - it's been 110 degrees out there the past couple of days!
Of course I will be working up reloads if I can ever find some powder :mad:
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .204
blueflash
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage predator 10

Post by blueflash »

I also have savage predator 10 . i have gotten some 0.5 groups @200 yards with 40 g reloads and the factory 40 is better than the 32 . if you can find some the federal 39 grain blitzkings are the factory ammo you can get!
Also what are you shooting from? Bipod,shooting bags ect.
ssm
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger VT M77

Post by ssm »

Shooting from bags. They are 3 shot groups. I have not actually measured the 200,300, 400 and 500 yard groups yet, guestimating the sizes that were shot this week I would say (2.5"-200) (3.0"-300) (3.5"-400) (6"-500).

I am not happy with my bags, which make me believe that is where I am loosing a little.

Another question- How tall are most shooting benches? Mine feels too low, thus I am somewhat uncomfortable on the bench.
cracker

Post by cracker »

Are we talking real world groups or internet groups, the reason I ask is internet groups are 1/2 the size of real world groups. If your bench feels to low and you are uncomfortable then yes it is to low. if I can keep my 204 in an inch at 100 yrds all day long I am very happy. of course if I get a .2 inch group that day then my post would read .2 all day long LOL. I figure a coyote to have a 4 inch drt kill zone and if I can keep it in 4 inchs at 300 yrds I am very happy cause that means dead dog. Have fun shooting and remember to double most internet group sizes unless there is a pic of the target posted. but remember people can post a 100 yrd target and claim it to be a 300 yrd target. you get the point, don't base your shooting on what others post on the internet.
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

cracker wrote:Are we talking real world groups or internet groups, the reason I ask is internet groups are 1/2 the size of real world groups ............... but remember people can post a 100 yrd target and claim it to be a 300 yrd target. you get the point, don't base your shooting on what others post on the internet.
Cracker
Amen to that....

-BCB
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Adding to BCB and Cracker's comments; remember for ever .008" of movenent at the muzzle translates to 1 MOA.

- The bench/bag/rest set up has to fit the shooter, if it doesn't, you won't do as well.

- To get a .2 or .3 MOA takes skill. I use 2" orange spotters @ 100 yds & 3" spotters @ 200 yds (ya' gotta be able to place the bullet in the same spot everytime so make sure you can adequately see the target you're shooting at), they have the black diamond in the middle and its difficult to say the least, to keep the cross hair perfectly still and on target shot, after shot, after.... It takes practice.

When evaluating the results always include the flyiers ("UNLESS" you can absolutely rule them out) otherwise, you're only fooling yourself.

HTH
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Well, I gotta say that anything under .5" is really good. My home assembled Savage on a PTA shot one .247" group of 8 shots and an additional two fliers that opened it up to .5". At that point I gave up load development - even if there was a better load, I couldn't shoot any better. That load has consistently hit the squirrels, nearly every one. Even when I think I missed, a closer inspection usually turns up a disassembled squirrel, blood splat, or, well you get the idea. Sight-in targets usually punch out the center X with all shots touching - good enough.

I use an old commercial adjustable bench rest with a rear rabbit ear bag at the range. Hunting I use my portable bench, a Harris bipod and the same rear bag. The rifle has a tactical/varmint stock and weighs 13 pounds with a Nikon Monarch 6-24 scope. It ain't a walking around rifle! Then the scope's parallax has to be adjusted out, the rifle returned to level each time, and both eyes open. When sighting, the target should be centered without any pressure on the stock holding it in position, then the trigger squeezed without grasping the stock with the grip of death. Oh yeah, that's easy. Maybe I'll go back to surf casting or bowling.

The limiting factor to group size is as much in front of the muzzle as behind, mirage and wind being the biggest culprits. Mirage gets me crazy. Go ahead and shoot the dancing squirrel - I dare you! There he is, no he's over there. One thing though, the .204 Ruger is one of the most consistently accurate cartridges I have worked with. It is just fun to shoot.
bythebook
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77VT and TC Oncore also have access to Savage

Post by bythebook »

I agree with what the others said don't let what others post discourage you. With that said, I am real happy with my Ruger 77 VT and I also have been reloading since 1965. The best 5 shot group at 100yds. I have been able too shoot with it is .168 but I have not been able to match that again, close but not exact. My rifle will do in the .2's and .3's pretty regularly when I do my part ( should say when I am able age plays a part). I have 2 204's and both are real good shooters I think you will like yours and enjoy it, also neither one seems too picky too load for.

Gordon