savage model 25

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
assailant
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 .204Ruger

savage model 25

Post by assailant »

well i finally got the chance to take my new savage model 25 with thumbhole stock ( http://www.savagearms.com/25model_Light ... mbhole.htm ) for its first outing tonight. ive got a sightron 2.5-10x44mm with medium weaver rings planted on it.

took 12 rounds to sight in the scope at 100yards using the cheapest factory ammo - winchester 34gr fmj, then went for a drive around the farm but didnt see anything... wheat and canola was way too high to see anything and the paddocks so overgrown they were too risky to drive around :(

so i didnt get to try it on any wildlife, but i was most happy with the few shots i did get to take at a paper target. ill post a pic of the paper and the rifle tomorrow.

one bugbear though; whilst breaking in the new unit i did the whole 1 shot + clean, 2 shots + clean, 2 shots + clean, 2 shots + clean, 5 shots + clean...
but the hoppes bore rod which is stated as being a .17/.204 rod is not long enough for my savage barrel! its about an inch or two too short. quite frustrating to find out in the field.
obviously thats more a reflection on the bore rod and not the rifle itself (barrel is obviously too long for the rod)

the rifle was superb in the few rounds i tried. quite loud and huge muzzle flash (not used to such a flash with my 17hmr) but it appears very accurate. i am just waiting for the local shop to receive an order for some bipods and ill pop one on my rifle.
already i love this caliber, its not too big that it kicks all over the shop but it feels as though its got enough grunt to knock over most small game ill come across. i cant wait until harvest is over and try out some of the other brands of factory ammo on some live game!
poppybull
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: savage model 25

Post by poppybull »

Glad you are enjoying your 204. I also own a model 25 in 204 caliber.

The only thing, I got into BIG TROUBLE for posting a negetive comment about a Sinclair product, ABOLUSTELY no different than what you just did in stating your problem with the Hoppes rod. I'm sure you'll catch heck about it being a "private matter" between you and Hoppes, and not to get on here and make a negetavie statement,even if it's the truth, instead call Hoppes and ask for your money back or a longer rod in exchange for the one you have.

Get ready, here it comes. :duh:

Send me the dang rod, I love turning short JUNK into shorter junk.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

The rod I first had was a cheaper 3 piece .17/.20 cleaning kit. (Might have been Hoppes, or maybe it was Outers, really don't matter) With the bore guide I had it was not long enough for the 26" barrel. So I had to use a pipe cutter and take about 1-1/4" off the bore guide.

That worked for a while till I did what I should have done in the first place,

bought a 1 piece Dewey nylon coated rod.

I highly recommend a Dewey rod, much nicer to use and safer on the bore.

Hope the Model 25 works well for you, I have heard mixed reviews on it. That being said the only people I know personally who own Model 25's have been happy with them so I trust their experience more than internet chatter.
assailant
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 .204Ruger

Post by assailant »

yeah i dont think ill be asking for a refund on my hoppes rod, but ill look into the dewey, thanks.

as you can see, started miles out to the right and a tad high.
shots 7 and 8 obviously went the wrong way. i thought i mustve pulled 7, but 8 confirmed i mustve adjusted the windage the wrong way.

10 wasnt quite a perfect bullseye like 12, but took half the bulls eye, good enough to move on to 100 yards in the fading light (sun had set by then)

ill take a pic of the rifle later today (its not at my house)

<edit>