AR Forum?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

AR Forum?

Post by 204Shooter »

Guys, I have to apologize. I have not given my .204 as much attention as it deserves for the past year because I have been pursuing a new passion: ARs. :camper:

No, I don't have a .204 upper... yet!

Just wondering if we should create a new forum for AR style weapons and if I should start a new thread to detail my AR journey so far and journal my current adventure???
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: AR Forum?

Post by Captqc »

Why not just start a post under centerfire rifles? As you know we love to see pictures around here. :lol: Gary
204Shooter

Post by 204Shooter »

Oh, there will be pictures!!!! :lol:

I was just wondering if there was enough interest in ARs to justify having a forum dedicated to them. There is a whole world of AR stuff out there. I also have a few reviews that I would like to write up and post!
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

I've received some great feedback in here on my AR without needing a special section, but yeah, I guess it couldn't hurt. As far as special sections go, it may keep it more organized, but my shortcut to this forum takes me straight to the "View active topics" link you see at the top of every page. That way I don't have to open every category to see what's new, and with the wealth of information being shared on this site, I don't want to miss anything.

My first and only .204 Ruger has been an AR-15, and as I posted last week, I do have a Savage 16 on the way. One reason for this is to have a 2nd .204 to shoot while letting one cool. Another is to have a rifle much lighter than my bull barreled AR to call with and carry. One other HUGE reason I decided to get a factory bolt gun, is as I spent a lot of time on load development for my AR this summer, nobody has much info on where to start when loading for a semi-auto that has to be kept under 2.25 COAL, AND for a 1:10 twist. All my load development for my AR was starting from scratch. Mind you, I've become much better at reading groups, I even shot my first Audette ladder a little over a week ago, but I feel like I've had to put WAY too many rounds down an expensive custom barrel to find the loads it likes. If you come here looking for starting loads for a 1:12 twist bolt action, chances are someone has done all the work for you, and many here will share their research with you. which will save much barrel wear and time. I have over 1000 rounds through my AR now, yet only have (3) powder/bullet combos I'm confident are optimum in MY barrel. If there was someone else here with a 1:10 AR-15 here, it may have saved me 600 rounds of wear on my rifle. Not that the journey hasn't been a learning experience.

So yeah, if a special section on AR's might help attract more members, it may be a good thing. Just thought as I own one, I'd throw my 2 cents in...

I'm sure everyone would love to hear your experiences with the AR in whatever caliber 204Shooter.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

That's a good idea. Gives folks a place to go for AR info without wading thru the heavily trafficked CF Forum to find it. JMHO :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

I'd vote for an AR section as well. I'm in the process of converting an AR to .204 for varmint hunting and paper punching, so information would be especially valuable to me.
Mike

Post by Mike »

While we're talking about AR platforms, do you guys think a 26" heavy (.920) barrel would put too much strain on an AR receiver? I'm debating on barrel length for my .204 and am stuck somewhere between 24 and 26 inches with a 1:12 twist. I'm looking for something to shoot 39 grain bullets and the guy I spoke with at Krieger sort of leaned toward the 26" version because of the extra speed that it would generate over a 24".
204Shooter

Post by 204Shooter »

You can determine how much of this information is relevant to your situation, but I found this article interesting regarding barrel length:

http://www.bullberry.com/204Rugerdata.html

The test was shooting 32 grainers and you want to shoot 39, but I still don't know if the extra 2 inches would make that much difference. The only way to know for sure would be to put both barrels on your rig and test them.

I prefer lighter handling guns anyway. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about the two extra inches. But you're not me! :chin:
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Seems like you could always cut it off, but you'll never add it back on. If it's going to be a purely bench gun yeah, go for the length I'd say. I know you didn't ask about twist, but if they could do 1:11, I think it would ensure you could shoot up to 45 grainers.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Krieger can do 1:11 and normally recommends that twist for 39 grain bullets. They just happen to have a few 1:12 twist blanks ready to go. My Cooper has a 1:12 and shoots the 39 grain bullets really well, so I thought that the 1:12 may be ideal in my AR too. The guy at Krieger said they are conservative in their twist recommendations, leaning toward a faster twist just to be safe. After talking with him about my Cooper, he agreed that a 1:12 would most likely be just fine but suggested that the extra velocity in the 26" might be good. Since this gun will spend 100% of its time on sandbags, the weight isn't a concern to me. I just don't want to stress the receiver by hanging too much weight out in front of it. :)
204Shooter

Post by 204Shooter »

The receivers are tough. A 26" bull barrel might be pushing it though. Are you going to get a free-floated rail? If so, you truly would be hanging all the weight of the barrel on the front of the receiver. However, if you were going to use standard hand guards, then you would almost always be supporting the weight of the barrel on the bags or some other rest.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm planning to use a free-floated rail. The gun currently sports a 24" bull barrel in .223 that I'm planning to sell once I get the new one.