chronograph advice

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
horsedr

chronograph advice

Post by horsedr »

I'm going to buy a chronograph as a Christmas present to myself and I'm looking for advice on which one to get. Give me all advice....the good and the bad. Thanks!
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Re: chronograph advice

Post by OldTurtle »

I have and older Chrony (probably 30+ years) that still works good, as long as I don't slip up and shoot it someday....It's so old that it still has the paper screens and I should probably replace it, but can't justify it..

I've read some reviews on problems with the Pact models, but then I've read good things as well..

I'm sure there are some members that have some of the newer and more modern models.... The only reason I jumped in here is due to the longevity of mine...
AR
Factory/Factory
JBinMontana
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Handi Rifle 22" Bull Barrel

Post by JBinMontana »

I'll second the Chrony as well, as you can't go wrong with its portability etc.
JB
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I'll 3rd the CHRONY. Besides, if you shoot it, they'll give you credit for it.

Jim
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

I have had a Oehler 35P (with built in printer) for over 30 years and it still works as good as the first day I took it out of its case. I dont know if any of the other brands would last that long. YMMV
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Cover Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BGTVSS

Post by Cover Dog »

I have had a Pact Professional for about 10 years. I have had ZERO problems with it. The best feature I like is you can sit in your living room or at the range with it on your lap and program in any bullet, velocity, range, etc. and get results without firing a shot. This can also be done with the many balistic programs available on the internet.

I have had a Pact digital scale since 1994 and had the infer red upgrade done when I bought their powder dispenser in about 2002 and NO PROBLEMS with either of these.
Steve V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint, Ruger 77 V/T

CED has served me well

Post by Steve V »

One very nice unit. Reliable; The RSI ballistic software works great, too. The web site says more than I can. http://www.shootingsoftware.com/index.htm
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

My Chrony Beta Master has worked just GREAT for me, other than the time I had a bullet disintegrate between the end of the barrel and the first electronic eye!!! Some of the bullet fragments took out the eye and some of the wiring. I wrote to the company and for something like $20 or $25 they relplaced the entire chronograph!!!! I had a Chrony F-1 before I bought the Beta Master and it worked fine too, but I like the digital readout back on the bench with me.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Silverfox wrote:My Chrony Beta Master has worked just GREAT for me, other than the time I had a bullet disintegrate between the end of the barrel and the first electronic eye!!! Some of the bullet fragments took out the eye and some of the wiring. I wrote to the company and for something like $20 or $25 they relplaced the entire chronograph!!!! I had a Chrony F-1 before I bought the Beta Master and it worked fine too, but I like the digital readout back on the bench with me.
Silverfox,

Funny :lmao: you would mention your experience because that's exactly how I came about aquiring my CHRONY only, I was borrowing someone elses', also a F-1 which wasn't very funny at the time :eek: but all turned out well :wtg: .

Jim
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Get the new Pact with the IR screens.....you won't look back.