Super accurate factory 204? Your opinions?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Flash
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS

Super accurate factory 204? Your opinions?

Post by Flash »

I am looking to buy a factory 204. What do you recommend for out of the box accuracy with factory ammunition. Accuracy is the criteria here (assuming I can hold it steady for once). Thanks!
K22

Re: Super accurate factory 204? Your opinions?

Post by K22 »

That's a tough one. There are never any guarantees using factory ammo. My first choice would be a Tikka, then a Savage. I've heard that the new Marlin is good along with the Weatherby. My Ruger Ultralight 204 was good with what little factory ammo I shot through it.
What is your idea of accurate?
Flash
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS

Post by Flash »

I was hoping for under 1" at 100yrds. I know the weatherby vanguard advertises 1.5" and just hear the T/C gaurantees 1" or less. I have heard good things about the Tikka lite rifle as far as feel, but not much on its accuracy.
K22

Post by K22 »

Accuracy with the Tikka's is very good. The Tikka or the Savage should give you under an inch, but not with every factory load. You'll have to find the one they like. My Ruger Ultralight will shoot under an inch with Federal 39gr. and Hornady 32 gr.. My handloads with the Berger 35gr. betters both of those factory loads.
paddy 09
.204 Ruger Guns: remy 700 vls

Post by paddy 09 »

A mate of mine has a weatherby MOA and shoots half inch all day with 39gr federal factory ammo .Very accurate factory gun!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Once you find a factory load that shoots good in your rifle you will eventually shoot those all up. Now you may have to go thru the testing process again to find what it likes best. I would try the Howa or the CZ 1st if I were going this route. HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Savage...hands down! :wtg:
savage12fv

Post by savage12fv »

IMHO...... Savage all the way
The future starts with you.
Take a kid Hunting&Fishing.
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

To my knowledge you cannot get the Tikka in a .204, and this is unfortunate. Tikka makes at least the Varminter in .204, but Beretta USA, does not import it into the US. I am disappointed at this because the Tikkas are known for out of the box accuracy, reasonable pricing, good triggers, and other good features.

As far as Savage, I can only tell you my unfortunate experience. I bought a new Savage 12 VLP in .204. Stainless, laminated wood stock, heavy barrel, Accutrigger, etc. Unfortunately, it had three issues for me: It would not shoot factory ammo under 1 MOA (it would generally do 1 to 1.25 or so); it would not feed from the magazine correctly; the Accutrigger would hang up and not fire about 70 percent of the time. These flaws cost me too many missed and escaped rockchuck terrorists. Needless to say, I no longer have this rifle. It went down the road after messing with it for about two months and becoming very frustrated.

The Ruger M77 is available in .204. The barrels are not free-floated on these to my knowledge, and in my experience, free-floating generally results in more consistent accuracy, especially after the barrel heats up. However, many good gunsmiths know how to accurize these, and, after this is accomplished, they usually shoot very well.

I think you are onto something with the Weatherby. I have shot Weatherbys for many years, and I am a fan. Especially if you opt for the Sub MOA model, it will likely shoot the lights out. The quality, service, design, and workmanship is very good.

You may wish to seriously consider the CZ 527 in .204. I believe they make the American and the Varmint model each in .204, but check their website to confirm. I have been very pleased with CZ, and will probably get a 527 American in .204 soon. They have very nice true Mini-Mauser actions, good workmanship, and are known for good out-of-the box accuracy.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
poppybull
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by poppybull »

I have two Savage 204's that shoot Factory Hornady 40 grainers between .3 and .4 at 100 yards, consintently. These Savages are more comptent than I am at my age (65). Know some people on here call them sheet metal pieces of junk, but I truly don't beleive that I (myself) could shoot a Cooper any more accurate than I do these Savages based on my physical limitations. JMO.
Last edited by poppybull on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Post by chuckhunter »

I have three Savages one 17hmr and two 204's, all of them are shooters when I do my part!
kasual1
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by kasual1 »

I believe that a Tikka or CZ 204 would fill the bill for you.
Both are very accurate rifles and both have easily adjustable triggers.
I have heard good things about Savage accuracy, but have no personal experience.

I recently purchased a CZ 527 American in 204 Ruger and it is extremely accurate.
I have only fired about 30 rounds of factory ammo through it so far.
In this limited amount of firings, I have shot a 3 shot group of 0.6" CTC with factory Hornady 32 grain VMax.

I also have a Tikka T3 Lite in 270 WSM.
I have one outstanding 100 yard 3 shot group of 0.35" CTC with this gun.
I also have shot a 1.7" CTC 3 shot group at 230 yards.
I know... it is a strange distance, but that is where I was shooting.
Someone else may do better with it...
I was limited by a 3x9 scope and have had a bout of optic neuritis.
Things are not very clear in my shooting eye anymore.
My good friend has a T3 Lite 243 that shoots well under 1" at 100 yards as well.
I do not doubt Tikka's 5 shot under 1 MOA guarantee.

I haven't seen many, but Tikka's are available in 204 now.
Here are a couple examples :
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =155906447
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =156112630
K22

Post by K22 »

stevecrea - I'm not sure when they started, but Tikka is making the 204 in their "Lite" model now.
http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/LiteStainless.pdf
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Flash, how much do you want to spend? My Remington cost $650 a few years back and she has been very accurate (no measurements but I have hit ground squirrels out to 460 yards). I just got a Cooper (that will cost you around $1,400) and based upon everything I've seen and heard I expect she will beat the Remington.Image
Image Gary
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have 2 Savages in 204 and very happy with them. Both will shoot under a dime at 100 yards out of the box, .16 has been my best group. I reload everything so I do not know what factory ammo will do. Tikkas and CZs are also accurate. Unfortunately Tikkas are hard to get in the USA as they are only available on special runs or purchases by some sporting goods stores. I have had several customers that say the Howas are tack drivers as well. Howa makes Vanguards.
Please, no Sidewinder today!