Cleaning a stainless steel barrel

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Cleaning a stainless steel barrel

Post by chuckhunter »

I just purchased a new Savage 12VLP. It is my first stainless steel barrel. Is there anything special that I should know about cleaning or breaking it in?? Thanks in advance :D

p.s. A friend of mine suggested that I use sweets 7.62 for cleaning out the copper. Would this be ok?
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Cleaning a stainless steel barrel

Post by glenn asher »

Use your normal cleaning process, but do not ever, EVER, use a stainless steel brush in the barrel. Bronze or nylon brushes will work okay, but the stainless is rough on 'em, according to most gunsmiths, anyway.
Other than that, treat it like any other barrel.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
chuckhunter

Post by chuckhunter »

Thanks glenn......What about sweets for copper?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sweets and Barnes CR-10 are both excellent for copper removal. Just don't let either of them sit in your barrel longer than 15 minutes, and apply with patches or nylon brush....never use a bronze brush with copper removers. After using either solvent mentioned, neutralize the chemical effects of the amonia with regular Shooters Choice or similar solvent, alcohol also works well for this purpose.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

chuckhunter

Post by chuckhunter »

Thanks Rick. Will do :D .
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

I'm not sure how your Stainless Steel barrel will clean up but mine sure cleans easier than my blued steel barrel. Gary
maverick
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1V Stainless

Post by maverick »

Here's a pretty good read on barrel cleaning and break-in. I tend to agree with this much more so than any other school of thought I've read on barrel cleaning and break-in (and there are a bunch out there). Had quite a bit of useful info for me.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... er=1584470
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my toys for what she thinks I paid for them...
FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Post by FireBallGuy »

I agree with what everyone says here, use your normal cleaning routine and go easy with the agressive copper solvents. I use sharpshooter's product now and I really like it. You can kinda just put in in there and let it do it's thing! My remington 204 hardly fouls. Was kind of testing it for the last few months by not cleaning it. Got around 160 down it and now it is time to clean it....was having a hard time hitting stuff on the weekend. The gun was so bang on this winter did not want to have to foul it before I went hunting so I left it dirty....makes sense? Not likely.
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
Griff
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Low Profile

Post by Griff »

Hey,

I have the same rifle and use the Boretech Eliminator (as per it's instructions) with patches and a nylon brush. So far it has been really great. Do a google on the product and you will see the great feedback it produces. All I can say is that I have been thoroughly impressed with it. The only slight problem is that it does give a false "copper" reading from brass jags. I have a "proof positive" jag on order from the manufacturer. This however is still not a great problem as the 'false' reading and fouling are different colours.

Hope that helps.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

I have been using the Proof-Positive jags since they first came out and they do eliminate the false reading that brass jags cause with Bore-Tech Eliminator. I also use their C4 carbon remover product prior to using the Eliminator copper/fouling remover. Works great. The Proof-Positive jags appear to be made from a hard grade of aluminum with a brass like anodized finish. They are definite time savers and prevent over cleaning the bore. :twocents:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
chuckhunter

Post by chuckhunter »

Thanks for all the input guys. All good advice. :D