UK shooting spree

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
rossandjet
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 204 s/s lightening sporter

UK shooting spree

Post by rossandjet »

Sorry if this is in the wrong section

Have you guys picked up on the news about the killer on the rampage in the NW of England UK.

The guy was a 52 year old that was licensed to have a 12g and a 22lr he killed 12 people and then turned the gun on himself, this including his twin brother and his solicitor. He also injured 25 others

This is all took place in a very rural area of the UK and our prayers and thoughts go out to all that have been affected by this tragedy.

As a gun owner, I now fear that our rights to own firearms will again take a turn for the worse by knee jerk legislation as it they did after the Dunblane massacre in Scotland many years ago.

The adopted attitude is that because he was mad, all gun owner must be mad but the truth is that we in the UK have to go through very stringent police checks, security checks, licensing procedures and medical information from our GP before we ever get near to a firearm and where any sort of breach of the peace, being drunk or even a traffic violation can result in your guns being taken away from you forever.

From what we understand, this shooters head went pop after a family row over his mothers will and no amount of legislation can ever cover that sort of situation.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: UK shooting spree

Post by BabaOriley »

First, sorry to hear about what happened there. I think it's scary to the gun owning community when someone does something like this, because the uneducated may grab at solution they're told will keep it from ever happening again, like banning all firearms or something.
rossandjet wrote:no amount of legislation can ever cover that sort of situation.
I agree, there's always going to be a certain number of good, upstanding citizens that just lose it. People can only deal with so much in life before they go nuts. The one thought I come back to in cases like this is how if more people were allowed to own or carry guns, a guy like this may not get to kill 12 before someone stops him. It also occurs to me that if he wanted to kill people, he could also have used a knife. I know you can't legally carry a blade longer than 3 inches there, but that means you can't carry it outside your own home right? You can own any knife/sword you want. If someone decides they're going to kill a bunch of people, do you think they care if it's illegal or not when choosing their weapon? I think all this said here is only preaching to the choir, but the whole "turn in your guns" thing that happened there served to awaken many here to what can happen if you give them an inch. You've only proven over there, that once you lose it, you may never get it back, so far...

Did the criminals stop using guns to commit crime after they became illegal or harder to get there? Stats.
rossandjet
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 204 s/s lightening sporter

Re: UK shooting spree

Post by rossandjet »

[quote="BabaOriley"]go nuts. The one thought I come back to in cases like this is how if more people were allowed to own or carry guns, a guy like this may not get to kill 12 before someone stops him.

Had a member of the public shot the guy, the police would say that they had used too much force to stop him and they would be charged and tried for murder if he had died :huh: :mad:

If you own a gun here you can never do right :wall: