Nosler Explosion Pics

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Nosler Explosion Pics

Post by Rick in Oregon »

As a followup to my last post regarding the explosion at the Nosler plant here in Bend, OR yesterday (Wed, 02 JUN 10), I took a walk about the site today with my camera. Here's the story in pictures:

The front of the plant...the ballistics lab/shooting tunnel is directly behind what we see here. The debris you see are scattered from the explosion, about 40 yards away on the other side. The Shooters Pro Shop front door can be seen just behind the bushes to the right, directly in front of the fire engine. (All the fencing is temp/security perimiter)

This is the opposite side of the building at the event site. What's left here was the ballistics lab with accounting directly above.

In this shot you can see a Suburban that was parked next to the concrete wall that collapsed directly onto the rig from the force of the explosion:

Closeup of the devestation. The engineering dept. is/was the wall you're looking into on the second story. The cement wall of the tunnel can be seen at the lower left. Ballistics and Accounting areas are virtually 'gone'.

Today the place is crawling with the Oregon State Police Bomb Squad, the ATF, and every other local official you could imagine sorting, tagging, and starting their investation as to the actual cause. My last post has my theory for whatever it's worth. We're all just thanking God that no one was seriously hurt or worse.

No word yet as to when they expect production to start again. Wifey told me it's no often you can say "I can't go to work 'cause it blew up"....... :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Nosler Explosion Pics

Post by Captqc »

:eek: Holy Cow Rick! I've been out of town and hadn't heard about this. Sure am glad to hear that your wife and her co-workers are all okay!!! Gary
broncsandwhiskey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage modle 12 LRPV

Post by broncsandwhiskey »

Once again Rick both my wife and I are glad to hear that your wife and eveyone else made it alive. You and yours are in our thoughts and prayers. Ride Up!!!

P.S. If there is anything that we can do please let us know.

Your Friends

Shane and Maggie
RIDE UP!!!
Savage LRPV .204 With a Burris 6.5x20 Mill Dot
And alot of other savage rat killers
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Wow that is some Skippy round they are working up for you! :lurk:

Thanks for the pictures. Glad nobody was hurt.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Thanks for the kind words from everyone, but wifey is okay and wants to get back with it. :D

Not sure when Nosler will reopen, as the ATF and the Oregon State Police Bomb Squad are up there now making sure there's no chance of a secondary explosion and starting their investigation as to the actual cause. None of the production machinery was affected, so production should start again within a week or so I'd guess.

Considering damage to the building, I know we all can imagine what the result would have been if anyone had been in there at the time of the explosion. Quick thinking and following protocol was the key to everyone being safe.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Might be time to stock up. One of my Nosler selections listed at Midway shows out of stock with 6-1-2011 as expected in stock date. Dunno if this is a mistake, a ploy, or what, but 100rd pkgs of same are in stock.

Hope this is just a mad panic that passes quickly. I was unable to secure the 1000 bullets that I wanted.

Glad I use Sierras for the 204.
Last edited by TD-Max on Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yesterday, Friday 04 June, all employees and the media were told they'd be making bullets again in 30 days, possibly less. None of the presses or production machinery was affected. There's plenty of product yet to be shipped in the warehouse, plenty in the pipeline. No need for any "Nosler Panic" at all.....we'll all have enough bullets to keep us happy for the balance of the year. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

We've been working on a summer PD trip due to the lack of shooting on our recent outing. I guess I need to look for another supplier...

Quote from Midway:
Sorry you were unable to get the quantity that you wanted. Nosler bullets had a really bad accident at there plant earlier this week. We are currently limiting quantity's to serve as many people as we can sorry for the inconvience. Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated. We do carry a full line of bullets from other manufactures.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Rick i have been out of town for a couple of days but heard about the explosion.
Glad to see that no one was hurt. Thanks for the story andthe pics.
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

A bad deal, I'm glad no one was hurt. Looking at your pics, it is almost unbelievable that it happened during business hours and no one was injured. Thanks for the reporting Rick.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

I went to Bonneville to try catching some sturgeon a few months ago, right after this happened. Was lucky enough to go to eat at the diner near Pilot butte ( old drive in diner), then get to SPS just after the guy locked the door, but he let us in to PU the bullets I ordered and some more stuff on impulse...lol

Glad all were safe, she still looked tore up.

Allen