Trigger opinions - Jewell or Kepplinger or Timney

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
goosebrown
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint, Savage 12

Trigger opinions - Jewell or Kepplinger or Timney

Post by goosebrown »

I want a new trigger for my Remington 700. I want a light pull but not insane light.

Choices are:
Timney at about 1.5+ lbs for $125
Jewell at about 1.5oz - 3lbs for $229
Kepplinger set trigger from about 1.5oz to 3lbs for $166

I am leaning towards the Kepplinger. Had a set trigger on an SSG years ago and loved it very much.

Does anyone have an opinion?
Matt Brown
mbrown [at] moss beach ceramics dot com (no spaces, one dot)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Trigger opinions - Jewell or Kepplinger or Timney

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I own and use all three in various rifles. For your M700, the choice is overwhelmingly the Jewell in most rifle accuracy circles. Look at the HVR for varmint application.

My custom M700/Pac-Nor/H-S Precision fast twist 204 (aka: The Silver Princess of Death) wears a Jewell HVR set at 9 ozs. in the rat patch:

Save the money for the Kip for when you get your Ruger No.1 Varmint down the road........ :lol: Believe me bud, it gets no better than a Jewell. If you've never shot a rifle with one, you're in for a real treat.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

goosebrown

Post by goosebrown »

OK. I have rifle envy. Let's get that out of the way now....

Thanks for responding. Having or having used all three is really valuable. The kip is cheaper than the jewell and I like that it has the two settings so I can take it out in the field if I want to. Why should I wait for a #1 for that? I sort of want to get what that means? Also seems that Jewell beats Timney far as you're concerned. Good to know.
Matt Brown
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

goose: The Kip statement was made in fun, as most all guys who end up with a nice No.1, in Varmint or Std, usually end up putting in a Kipplinger or Canjar....but sadly, the Canjar single set trigger are no longer available, so the Kip is the numero uno choice for No.1 owners now. If you're new to rifles, you'd have no way of knowing, as all this happened some years ago when Canjar decided to retire.

This is a Canjar single set trigger installed in my No.1V. It is in the "set" mode, and fires with 6 ozs of pressure on the shoe.

Think of Timney as a decent, serviceable mid-range offering, and Kip as a nice step up, and Jewell at the top of the list. Olympic shooters most all use Jewell's (where legal) if that tells you anything, as well as the serious BR boys. The Jewell's also have a good range of adjustment, so you can obtain a "bench trigger" or a "field trigger" pull weight, whatever suits your type of shooting. There is no finer trigger on the planet, period.

Now if Jewell would again make triggers for Cooper rifles.......(Arnold J. and Cooper got into a tussle some time back).
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

goosebrown

Post by goosebrown »

OK that makes sense. I know Canjar and know they are oob. Also had a #3 not a #1 but similar idea. I know all the old guys (which I am really really close to becomming) love them. he he he

All the context is really good here. Thanks!
Matt Brown
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

I recently put a Timney set at 2 1/4# on my LVSF and it works great. However, having since read of some erratic quality issues of that brand, might pop for a Jewell when I pitch the X-Pro on my SPS.
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

took ricks advise on a jewell HVR a few months back and glad I did go with the jewell. :D :D :D
CV32

Post by CV32 »

A Jewell BR trigger is currently being installed in my Remington 700 VLS fast twist (1 in 10) Pac-Nor Super Match. Looking forward to even tinier groups.
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

I have tried several Timneys and they are a good replacement to a stock rem 700 trigger on a walking rifle, and I use them on big game guns.

I have 3 Canjars and like them ( one ruger 77 tang safety, on early rem 700, and a rem 788), but set triggers are no way as good as a Jewell set at 6 or 8 oz, unless you feel the movement needed to trip the Canjar isn't an issue. I prefer the Jewell for a bench varmint rifle, and just delivered my VLS 26" blue 204 to my FIL to play with, and added a Jewell so he can say he tried one. As the saying goes, never try a Jewell unless you have $ to outfit the rest of your guns with them, once you shoot one you will want nothing else.......

Allen
sidesy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remy Varmint

Post by sidesy »

Jewell for me, easy to fit, great let off and suitable for many applications from varmint to bench
ATVB

Gary
R7 Rapid S .22 , P.Wilson thumbhole AWT, CZ 452 .17 HMR MTC Viper 56mm / Ruger 10-22 Hawk red dot / Dedicated Ruger 10-22 NV / .223 Remy PSS 4200 tac 6/25 x 50 / .243 Remy Varmint Leup 8.5/25 x 50 mark 4 / .204 Remy Varm. Bettinsoli diamond 12g
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Jewell for me...