At Rest

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

At Rest

Post by RAMOS »

No, nobody died (except for all of the Skippy's that Rick did in). I'm trying to finalize my front rest choice and I have two questions remaining. To clarify: this is for home use out to 300 yards off the bench. No competition, and only Sinclair rests.

#1. Is the light weight base (6 lbs) stable enough for this use or, should I stay with the 17 lb cast base.

#2. Is the windage top worththe extra $154.95 for my purposes (load development, sighting in, verifying zero).

Thanks in advance.
Jon
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: At Rest

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jon -

FWIW, I'd offer the following:

#1. Stick with the 17lb. All-Purpose Sinclair Front Rest. Captqc tried the L/W version and went back to the heavier model.

#2. For what you're doing (me too), the windage top is not worth the expense, and you'll seldom use it as intended. If you're not shooting BR matches, you can use the All-Purpose Top that is width-adjustable for hunting rifles, all the way to wide varmint forends.

The A/P Sinclair Rest with a set of Superfeet under the spikes with my Sako M75 Varmint in 204 Ruger (yes, the forend stop is out of service that day):

The windage top is really only suitable for BR target shooting, it will not adjust to fit other sporter width forends, the A/P model does and is perfect for both target shooting and live varmint shooting. JMO
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Thu May 26, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

The Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS Varmit

Post by The Reloader »

Although Rick Is prolly right about not needing the windage Top right now . But the hobby I care the most about I Usualy get choose the better of my choices. I think that once I spend a bunch of money on something I will regret in the future not spending the additional cost for the better of the two. And in this case its for something that will prolly last your lifetime.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like the cast base w/ all purpose top for me. I have back-stops at 100,200 and 300 yards at home. The first two are off set by about 3 feet and, the last one sits just above the first one. Don't think there will be much shifting around and will forego the windage option. The difference in cost will pay for a nice rear bag, and then some. Rick, do you use a Dog-Gone-Good rear bag, or something else?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

RAMOS wrote:Rick, do you use a Dog-Gone-Good rear bag, or something else?
I use a Protektor No. 13B rear bag for all my bench shooting.

Sportsman's Warehouse, Wholesale Sports and Sinclairs along with many of the mail-order houses carry the line.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Thank you, Sir!
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Image
Looking at Ricks bag reminds me, I need to add some sand to my Protektor rear bag. I think it has stretched a little over the years and is now a little slack. Need to tighten it back up.
RoadKill
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem. 700VLS and 23" G2 barrel on older Contender

Post by RoadKill »

I went with the Basic Lightweight Rest but only because Sinclair didn’t have the heavy base in at that time. I did spring for the Generation II All-Purpose Windage Top with quick adjust for any size fore end and for the Superfeets. The windage feature was overkill but $till fun to play with. An extra post and wheel made me a basic swap bag top that works out better (quicker) along with a wedge rear bag when the target is breathing. My ancient #18 had started to roll around on me but Skip’s Bag Stabilizer #04-100 and a little more sand made it better than new. I also have a #14A which is the same thick bottom bunny ear bag as the #18 only shorter. Still haven’t tried a rabbit ear rear bag.
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Rick in Oregon wrote:
RAMOS wrote:Rick, do you use a Dog-Gone-Good rear bag, or something else?
I use a Protektor No. 13B rear bag for all my bench shooting.

Sportsman's Warehouse, Wholesale Sports and Sinclairs along with many of the mail-order houses carry the line.
I have two 13B rear bags for me and my sons for shooting PD's. We use og gone good Medium and large front bags as well as Sinclair precision front rest and we hae a set of Red Head bags as well. One BR Pivot, one San Angelo and a Midway ground mat rounds out our set up.

If you think Prairie Doggin is expensive by yourself try doing it with yourself, an 18 year old and twin 8 year old boys... Sorry for the OT but we are loading up right now to leave tomorrow for Nebraska on our annual PD shoot and we have a boat load of gear.
Doveryai no Proveryai
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

I can well imagine, we have two boys-7 & 8. They are already into guns, dirt bikes, fishing, boating, baseball, basketball, sports camps, camping, RC cars, etc.! Would not trade them for the world. You and your boys have a good, safe trip. And of course, tell us all about it when you get back.