Trigger Pull Weight

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Trigger Pull Weight

Post by Malazan »

What is the lightest pull weight you have ever used? How did you like it? I would like to feel some triggers in the 6 to 10 oz range to see what it feels like. I feel that my trigger now is still too heavy for my taste. It's about 2#

I'm really looking forward to the new Cooper Triggers this Christmas

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: Trigger Pull Weight

Post by RowdyYates »

For safety reasons, I wouldn't think of hunting -or hunting with someone - with less than a 2# trigger. Bench-rest shooting another story.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Post by Malazan »

RowdyYates wrote:For safety reasons, I wouldn't think of hunting -or hunting with someone - with less than a 2# trigger. Bench-rest shooting another story.

I should have said, that it will be for PDogs, Squirrels off a bench

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
204hotrod
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLSS 4-16 X 56 mildot Millett varmint scope

Post by 204hotrod »

Malazan;
I have my Jewell's set at 4-6 oz range. USE EXTREME CAUTION!!! When doing any thing other than shooting off a bench, I carry with bolt open and magazine empty.
Safety on. When a target is spotted, drop 1 round in, close bolt. When ready to shoot, release safety, squeeze trigger, lift bolt , engage safety, eject empty. Make this drill your routine and you are ok. I also make sure that I know where my meat hooks are at all times when in shooting position. I.E. No careless movements, reaching to scratch my nose, etc. Keep my finger completely out of trigger guard when not ready.

The trigger has me spoiled, it is sweet!
Are you gonna pull them pistols, or just whistle dixie??
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

I like a trigger (Jewell) set at 9oz.I can go lower but it works on my PD gun.Trouble is ,if different guns with heavier triggers,are being shot that day,you think the safety is on when you start squeezing.A couple of my guns are 2-21/2lbs and it's fine,after a few rounds.Be nice to have them all the same,but I have three different actions and different triggers.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

I have a Shilen (no safety) in my .204R set at 8oz and use it in the field for pDogs. I shoot off bipods and move around a fair bit. If I have a round in the chamber when I decide to move I simply decock the bolt before moving. Once I get to my new position and situated I just lift the bolt and recock when I am ready to fire.

I love the Shilen trigger and it makes a difference when shooting at small little targets.

My shooting mentor just bought a new competition rifle this year and it has (had) a 2oz Jewell in it. That was just too light. Maybe it is perfect when shooting off the bench but we shoot offhand and you are concentrating on a bunch of other things going on with that. You just can't get a good tactile sense of a 2oz trigger in that situation and you'd end up touching it off without being completely ready. He just bought a Jackson trigger in order to bump up to around 6-8 ounces.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

All good comments with lots of field experience showing.

My bench live varmint rifles that wear Jewells are all set at 9 ozs. All my set triggers are also set at 9 ozs. Again, these are rifles only shot from the bench at live varmints. My field/walkabout rifles are all set at 1.5 lbs. Deer/antelope rifles set at 3 lbs., and my elk rifles are all set at 4 lbs for hunting in cold weather with gloves.

JME for what works....yours may vary.

(FWIW I've tried the 2 oz BR triggers for live varmint shooting.......doesn't work, at least for me.)

One more thing....anybody with a Cooper rifle wanting their new "bench" trigger should call and bug them about it. In this case, the "squeeky wheel" WILL get the grease. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

7mag
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 7, Zeiss 4.5-14x44-Rem 700, Zeiss 6.5-20x50-Cooper Pheon

Post by 7mag »

204hotrod wrote:Malazan;
I have my Jewell's set at 4-6 oz range. USE EXTREME CAUTION!!! When doing any thing other than shooting off a bench, I carry with bolt open and magazine empty.
Safety on. When a target is spotted, drop 1 round in, close bolt. When ready to shoot, release safety, squeeze trigger, lift bolt , engage safety, eject empty. Make this drill your routine and you are ok. I also make sure that I know where my meat hooks are at all times when in shooting position. I.E. No careless movements, reaching to scratch my nose, etc. Keep my finger completely out of trigger guard when not ready.

The trigger has me spoiled, it is sweet!

Plus one on the Jewell, The light trigger , and the USE EXTREME CAUTION!!! I use the same set up and the same shooting procedures. (Wonder where I got the idea LoL) Thanks again for starting me on the .204 craze Hotrod!
Leave nothing in the field but your tracks.........(and a few carcasses!)
zx10mike
.204 Ruger Guns: TIKKA T3 VARMINT

Post by zx10mike »

i have a rifle basics 4oz with safety,for some reason it jyst suites me having a light trigger in the rem.any ideas on a replacement tikka trigger ? the trigger is crisp no doubt but may look to change the pull wieght at a later date. in my mind the safety is on and if its not weather the trigger is at 4oz or 4lb its dangerous so i am allways carefull.apart from that one time a sent a 22 sobsonic through my foot.i was having an off day