Sierra Blitzking Questions

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Sierra Blitzking Questions

Post by GTOHunter »

I was trying to find someone that carries the SBK bullets....no one around here where I live seems to have them so I looked them up on the internet and not many Dealers have them in stock...I found them on "Cheaper than Dirt" and it shows that Federal is the maker of the SBK bulllets...is this correct or it there another maker that has them?...funny thing was they showed them twice on their Site...thought maybe they made 2 different types but it looked to be the same bullets? :huh:

Any ways I tried the Hornady 40 grain V-max bullets and they performed pretty good (just not as good as I hoped),then I shot the Winchester 32 grain ballistic tip bullets (they seemed to be worse yet)?So now I'm going to get a local Dealer to order me the Federal SBK bullets or I will buy on-line and have them shipped to me direct?

So final question is...is Federal Sierra BlitzKings the right bullets I need to get for my CZ-USA .204? Thanks GTOHunter
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Sierra Blitzking Questions

Post by ryutzy »

Are you handloading or buying factory ammo? Federal loads Sierra blitzkings in their factory loadings, but Federal does not make the actual bullet. I'm not aware that the two companies are connected in any way. If you are handloading you want to buy the Sierra blitzking. If you want to shoot factory ammo and want to shoot the blitzking then you need to buy the Federal loadings that have the Blitzking bullet. From what you wrote I am assuming that you are shooting factory ammo.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

What Ryutzy said.

Sierra is definitely the only manufacture making the Sierra Blitz King. Other manufactures load Sierra bullets it their ammo though.

Hey GTO Hunter, you know Sierra is in your home state eh? They are in Sedalia and you can take tours of their operations. I went there a little over a month ago and did a tour. Got to watch them make Blitz Kings and some Match Kings. It was a very cool thing to see.
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Maybe I can hook up with someone close to Sedalia and get a better price on the SBK,that really not too far from where I live? :chin: :duh: :wink:

I had no idea thats where they are made/loaded.Only ones I could find as stated were on the "Cheaper than Dirt Site"....and Yes I'm needing and shooting the factory loads,I don't hand-load anything so I'm needing to buy the SBK bullets finished and ready to shoot....I guess thats alright and they will shoot fine?I called my Dealer where I bought my CZ-USA .204 and he was looking up where He could get me some SBK.....maybe he can find them at a decent price or a more local Supplier?

I've been getting more serious about Coyote Hunting with the cold weather settting in and need more bullets! :mrgreen: :wall: :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

You may want to call Sierra first to see if they sell any loaded ammunition using their BK's at their facility. Nosler here in town has a Shooters Pro Shop that sells both component first and 'seconds' bullets, but also their own Nosler Custom loaded ammunition in most calibers including the 204. But that's no guarantee that Sierra does the same....best to check it out first.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

GTOHunter: http://www.thehuntingshack.com loads .204 ammo with both the 32 and 39 gr. Sierra Blitzkings. They also have Berger-bulleted ammo, also, if the SBKs don't work out.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

The ONLY thing you can buy directly from Sierra at their factory is seconds (factory rejects). Generally speaking the ballistic tip bullets from them should be avoided. A lot of those get rejected due to big flaws with the plastic tip. There is a good percentage of them that are perfect though. The bullets ring up at about a 40% discount.

The amazing thing about Sierra bullets is that no human hand touches the bullets until you unpackage them. If anyone touches them with bare hands they go into the "seconds" barrels. If they fall on the floor they go in the seconds. Truely deformed bullets also go into the barrels. The bullets that are really a great deal are the Matchkings and Gamekings. Virtually none of the Matchkings I've bought at the Sierra outlet were damaged or unshootable. The Gamekings had about a 1% failure (deformed jackets).

You cannot buy loaded ammo nor can you buy retail "firsts". Only rejects. They sell them buy the pound and just scoop them out of the barrels. It is a pretty good deal if you are ever driving by that area. The tour of their production facility is well worth the 45 minutes. It's crazy that they run 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

Does Black Hills load with Sierra bullets? They make a decent shooting round, or so I've been told.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
GaCop103
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 110 in 204

Post by GaCop103 »

I just ordered some from Widener's Shooting Supply, Johnson City Tn. They have very good prices.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

If you plan on buying "Factory Seconds" at the Sierra plant, it's worth a call ahead to insure that they have a supply of what you want... I get most of my bullets there...This was my last purchase about 2 months ago..It's four pounds of 39gr and will keep me supplied for the rest of the Winter and into Spring..
Image..

I also picked up a pound of 50gr .223s and the ones to the side are tip rejects that I will pull the tips and use as hollow points (they shoot just as good in both calibers..)..

Considering that the cost for all was only $80...It's worth picking them up there, rather than paying retail at the stores...
AR
Factory/Factory
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

A bit of a bird walk, but close to the subject at hand-my wife just got back from a business trip to Reno. While there, she called to tell me about a Cabela's store she spied and would I like for her to get some shooting supplies since she was in the neighborhood? The upshot, I got 5lbs of Reloader 15, 5lbs of 748, 300 Sierra 204cal 39gr Blitzkings(because that's all they had), 5,000 #71/2 primers, and 200 pieces of Winchester 204cal brass(because that's all they had of that too)- all hazmat free, tax free, shipping free, and all on sale! I told her she went up two horses in value from what I originally paid for her 18 years ago.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jrwoitalla wrote:I told her she went up two horses in value from what I originally paid for her 18 years ago.
I'd say her value went up a bit more than that, at least two goats and maybe even one rifle! Sounds like you've got a real "keeper" there. ;)

(Mine works at a well-known bullet maker here locally, and sometimes calls me during the day to say something like "we just got in 5,000 pieces of Norma 204 brass.....want me to bring some home?" Gotta just love those girls of ours! :D )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Pinched
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VTR

Post by Pinched »

Check out the rebate $20 back on 4 box purchase of premium v-shock.

http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/OT468 ... nglish.pdf
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Thanks for the link Pinched....I'm kinda bummed out because my Computer won't link up and show the price/rebate because of the "Adobe Reader" won't go thru? :wall: :duh: :mad:

I got the Gun Dealer I bought the gun from checking out where to get some SBK shells from...I also typed in my Zip code and found the nearest Dealers that carry the shells so I will check with them also for a second source.Also tried to order some Remington "Managed Recoil" shells for my 7mm-08 Savage! ;)
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

I finally got someone to order me some of the SBK bullets in 39 grains....the local Hardware Store that has Shooting Supplies and Guns ordered me 2 boxes of the Federal V-shock 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings and He's going to try and locate the Managed Recoil 7mm-08 shells for me also,hopefully the other Guy I bought my CZ .204 from can come up with some more SBK bullets and I'll buy some more because we aquired a bunch more Private Land to go Predator/Varmint Hunting on and I think its going to be a fun and busy Season to take out some Coyotes,Bobcat and Foxes when the Furbearer Season arrives in November!