Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Post by boomer84 »

G'day,

Just wondering how many guys on here hail from this great land the yanks call downunder?

Also what setups you guys are using (rifle, scope, bullets and powders/loads) and what u aim this mighty little powerpak at?

I have a Rem 700 SPS Varmint (soon to have a McMillan Varmint stock and jewell trigger). Bushnell 4200 Elite 8-32x40mm(kinda over did it on this! zoom never goes over 14x) on Burris Signature rings. I'm curently shooting 39gn SBK's, 25gn Re 10x, Winchester brass and Rem 7 1/2 primers! Loaded some Nosler brass with 25.1gn Re 10x pushing 40gn Nosler BT and shot well but with some tweeking i see super star potential! And can't wait till i get some ADI AR2206H to try with the 40gn as well as some 35gn Bergers (which if all goes to plan will be my go to bullet) in the near future.

My targets are foxes, feral cats and macropods mainly but have had success on a 3 out of 4 goats (1 needed a follow up shot)! Was wondering if any one had shot any wild dogs with the 204? Did you have much success? I ask this because our american mates shoot coyotes with it! Or are our dogs tougher? If not the 25-06 will do the job for them!

All so what state do u reside? I'm from WA.

Thankyou for your time.

Boomer

P.S. Sorry no pics but i will try to get some up soon as i get some!
Simomac
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka t3 hunter stainless

Re: Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Post by Simomac »

G'day boomer, I am a fellow Ozzie from northern nsw. I have a small farm and bought a 204 to tackle the vermin on the farm, mainly rabbits , hares foxes and so forth.I have taken four pigs with it too from four attempts, I have fallen in love with this calibre since I bought mine 18 months ago and have just started reloading, using rem brass federal primers and ar2219 behind 32 gr sbk's and v max's. Only in early stages at the moment but working on it.my rifle is a tikka t3 hunter stainless with a BSA contender 6-24 by 44, all stock standard, but as I chase better load developement accuracy I my get it bedded. Good to hear from a patriotic Aussie.
boomer84

Post by boomer84 »

Looks like we could be the only 2!

Isn't it just a awsome little round. Pigs? Might have to give them a go! Got a bunch on the property but i usually use the 25-06, bow or a dog. 204 might be more of a challange. Where do u shoot them behind the ear?

I'm originaly from NSW, Tottenham!
Simomac

Post by Simomac »

A bowhunter hey? I've been bowhunting since I was a kid! But the shots at pigs with the 204 have all been to the chest, right behind the front shoulder. None were huge pigs, biggest around 60 kg, probably wouldn't have a go at big mud encrusted boar... The 25.06 would be safer then.
smokin
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by smokin »

Not Aussie but NZ, three of us have been shooting the 204 for about a year. I have dropped 11 Fallow Deer, 6 goats, turkeys, hares possums etc. I use a suppressor to cut down the crack. As Simomac says just behind the shoulder for a lung shot, drops them quick and no meat loss. I use the 40gn Hornady V Max factory load on the deer.
Jimbob
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Post by Jimbob »

G'day I use a Ruger #1B with a Leupold 4.5 - 14 scope on top for chasing around rabbits, hares and foxes in Western Victoria. Probably not a standard varminting rig, but I do a fair amount of walking around with it, and it's accurate enough for me. Usually I run 35 gn Noslers through it, but will try V-Max next I reckon.
boomer84

Post by boomer84 »

Simomac: I been only bow hunting for a bout 5 years and am really enjoying it! I just enjoy the piece and quiet away from the people and the real world, i'm not not a people person! Just can't stand stupid people!

G'day Smokin and Jimbob. Smokin as much as it kills me to say........ Congts on the World Cup!! Where i live there are fallow and red deer and there numbers are slowly on the rise i have shot a few fallow with the bow but i haven't shot them with a rifle as yet! Can't wait till i can get me a big red! My day will come.

Jimbob I'm thinking about geting a sporter model in this calibre or 17rem! I have the heavy barreled varmint model and is too heavy to carry long distances. I usally set up with a bi-pod and with a tenterfield whistle call the foxes in! Rabbits i just sit a few hundred yards (distance varies each time) from the warrens and i just pick them off.

Just a FUN versitile calibre. Just love it!

Boomer
Jimbob
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Post by Jimbob »

Boomer; 17 Rem sounds good too - I find something to appreciate in most calibers!
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Howzit garn boomer.
Been following the forum for a few months now and got sick of not having my say, so I just registered this arvo.
Sort of new to shooting in a sense, in that I just got my license and first gun (.204!!) last year.
When I was a kid (15 years back) I visited my (divorced) old man occasionally when he was a pro roo shooter. His work horse was a sako 22-250). Had a ball being with him but never handle any guns.
My older brother would borrow dad's 22wmr and take me rabbit shooting, but I don't remember being the nut behind the bolt.
So my bro and I did our license course last year together and both topped the group in test results!!
Asked dad for advice on what to buy and he suggested .17rem.
When I asked our local dealer about it, he said they're almost obsolete now, but the .204r is gaining popularity as a fox caliber (my main target).
Well that was 12 months ago, knew bugger all about anything firearms related, and now (since absorbing info on this forum) my brother is coming to me for advice on his first gun - he's waiting for the rego papers on a Tikka 22-250 - chip off the old block.
I started with a heap of factory rounds, but always intended reloading. Run a few test loads a few weeks back and was pretty happy with the results. still got a long way to go, but with the help of all the maestros here, I may one day take the step from backyard target/critter shootin to BR.
louie the fly
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 ruger tikka T3 super varmint

Post by louie the fly »

hey mate,

I'm from Western Australia, about 3 hrs south of Perth. I'm 21 and attend the University of Western Australia.

I currently run a:

Savage 17HMR with Leupold 3-9 x 50
Tikka T3 super Varmint 204 Ruger with Leupold 6.5-20 x 50
Savage model 111 long range hunter 25-06 REM with Zeiss 6.5-20 x 50
Lanber 12ga

I reload all my ammo and most shoot rabbits, foxes and any other ferals that get in my way. I have been on this site now for a couple of years, mostly just for information about the 204 ruger.

cheers
boomer84

Post by boomer84 »

Howdy Southy and Louie

Sorry for the late reply guys been out of town!

Glad to hear a few more aussies are onto this round. This forum has to be one of the best sites going and a made shooing more pleasurable than before. And i can relate all the info to my other calibres too! I love reloading! Seeing it all piece together from a piece of brass to the final prouduct then BANG! Then start over again. love it!

Well looking forward to seeing posts of dead varmints and ferals down the line and keep up the good work!

Boomer
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Photos? No worries.
I'd just bought this Bravo ute and driven it back from Adelaide the previous day (I'm near Port Lincoln on 80 acres in the middle of cropping country). Was giving it some love with the armour-all when I spotted this red dog wandering across the neighbour's wheat crop. Ran inside, loaded the Ruger, found a spot to lay and sat the bi-pod legs down. He was still slowly trotting along in the young crop about 200 yds away when I found him in the crosshairs. Gave him an "OI" which made him stop long enough for me to breath out and squeeze. He didn't argue with the 39gn BK :)
Nice pelt too!! Might find a permanent spot in the Bravo for him
xa-coupe
.204 Ruger Guns: None At The Moment

Post by xa-coupe »

Hi from sunny (?) Melbourne ! Just got my first 204 after 15+ years of 223 goodness. I got myself a Howa stainless varmint with a boyds thumbhole, yet to be taken out and given a run.
I still have my Ruger varmint 223 so it will be very interesting to compare them side to side.

Simomac

Post by Simomac »

G'day xa coupe! Good to see your giving the 204 a crack. That howa looks like a beauty,keen to hear your comments on the 223 comparison once you've given it a go, I'm sure you'll be impressed by what this mighty little calibre is capable of. ;)
boomer84

Post by boomer84 »

Was reading this old post and just thought i would bump this to see if there is any new Aussies about!!!