How much do you pay?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

How much do you pay?

Post by jrwoitalla »

How much do you people pay for FFL fees? I am just a bit grumpy right now after talking to my FFL dealer. I am a member of a shooting range that offers lots of great service- including a member that has an FFL its members to buy guns. The last gun I bought was back in March and it only cost me $17.50 per gun as I got two guns at the same time. I am now waiting to go get a 221 fireball and can't even go do the paper work until Saturday even though the gun has been here since Thurs. because of work conflicts between him and I. What really has me irked is that it is going to cost me $60 for the DOS on this gun! And then it will be another ten days after the paper work is done before I can even get the dang gun. ARRRG! It's getting so that the price of a new gun is only half its cost anymore. After shipping, registration, taxes and who knows what else they are going to charge- it is ridiculous. What extra costs are added onto your purchases and how long do you have to wait to take possession of your gun after purchase?
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: How much do you pay?

Post by Wrangler John »

Live in California huh? Well, as the sheep said to Babe in the movie of the same name: "That's just the way things are, dear."

Last action I bought (hardly ever buy entire rifles) cost $35.00 for the paper work. It does no good to be angry, but relief is on the way. NRA and others have filed a suit in federal court asking that the DROS fees, or that portion of them that are used for purposes other than processing the DROS itself, be declared an unconstitutional tax placed on exercising a fundamental right. No government can tax a right, and now the right to keep and bear arms has been declared an individual right (Heller), and that right is binding on the states (McDonald). California recently passed a law that allows the state to use excess DROS fees for other purposes - hence its a tax. Info at the link below.

http://michellawyers.com/2011/mapc-file ... ales-fees/
Last edited by Wrangler John on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Ohio-- I pay my guy $20 & pick the gun up the day it is delivered. Unless it's on the shelf then I take it home that day.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Bet, also, you are from Kalifornia.. But,even if not, is it not reassuring how the DROS record and so many other such paper work stops criminals from obtaining firearms? heck all they need do is work with ATF and Obama,Clinton and Holder and "Fast and Furious" and they need not fill out any paperwork..and they can even get guns that we Mortals are not able to obtain i.e. rocket launchers, etc. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

For us here, it's a flat $20 to use the FFL, and take the rifle or handgun home the same day.

Sounds like you're having the unfortunate experience of living in The People's Republik of Kalifornia (did it too for a while, couldn't wait to get out.) Hope you escape to The Free World some day. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Gunstores around here charge $40 to $50....my gunsmith, who's 85 miles away charges me $10. I just pick up guns when I'm dropping off or picking up firearms with him....I'm retired, so I don't mind the travel.
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

$25 for me to use a local FFL and there are no waiting periods in Missouri for rifles or handguns.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I do live in the peoples republik of Kulifornia. I have bought guns from 2 different gun stores, in the last couple years. Both of them charged me $25.00. That is what the state charges them for paperwork. My local guy told me that the FFL may charge as much as he feels he can charge and get away with it. The wait period here in the repulik is 10 days, no matter what kind of firearm you buy, which is B.S. because all the states do checks thru the NICS system, National Instant Check System. This background check, only takes a few minutes, but the Gubment here in the republik just tries to pi$$ every gun buyer off, and stop as many sales as they can, without outright breaking the laws we live under.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I also pay 20 bucks and walk out with the gun from my gunsmith
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I should add my gun shop only charges $10. He told me all FFL fees go to his Daughter's college fund so I give him $20 truth or not. I don't ask to see his records & he beats the other shops around here by $50-$75.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
hydehunter1
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper

Post by hydehunter1 »

I won a pistol at a match and the gun shops in Sacto charged 100.00 for the right to receive bit and then charge the dross on top of that
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

hydehunter1 wrote:I won a pistol at a match and the gun shops in Sacto charged 100.00 for the right to receive bit and then charge the dross on top of that
Now that right there is F'd up!
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

My FFL holder is an 85 year old gentleman that lives down the road from me. He and his wife are wonderful people that take care of me and do my xfers. He charges a flat $25. He does almost enough transfers each year to pay for the license. He isn't making any money off it. This year (2011) he hasn't transferred more than 6 or 8 guns. I gave him $30 this last time and I'll do the same when/if my Savage ever comes. (hear that Savage... I am tired of waiting... send me my LRP!)
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

My dealer charges $20.00.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

The shop I work in charges $15. Most shops in the area charge around $25. No waiting period in Georgia.