Heard a rumor...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Heard a rumor...

Post by jrwoitalla »

about a 17 Hornet on the horizon. That sounds like a fun little round especially if they give it a nice sharp shoulder on case.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
ab_bentley
.204 Ruger Guns: 20VT, VTT, 20-222, 20 Thunderbolt, 20PPC

Re: Heard a rumor...

Post by ab_bentley »

been in the works for the last few months. Adam
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

jrwoitalla

Post by jrwoitalla »

If loaded ammo is out there, who is making the guns? I'm guessing Cooper's got one, or at least will make one to order. How much powder and what choice of bullets will be available I wonder? Just when I thought my safe had seen its last new occupant :wall:
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

jrwoitalla wrote:If loaded ammo is out there, who is making the guns? I'm guessing Cooper's got one, or at least will make one to order. How much powder and what choice of bullets will be available I wonder? Just when I thought my safe had seen its last new occupant :wall:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/25LV/

I`ve been keeping an eye on this cartridge myself ;-)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jrwoitalla wrote:about a 17 Hornet on the horizon. That sounds like a fun little round especially if they give it a nice sharp shoulder on case.
You mean like this:

That's my .17 Ackley Hornet, but the new .17 Hornet (Hornady Hornet?) will be similar, but not as sharp a shoulder per the current SAAMI spec drawing that has not been approved at this time.

From what I gather, Cooper is looking at this round, as are most likely all the other manufacturers, but no plans from any of them announced yet other that Savage with their M25. I'll gladly wait for quality rifles from both Cooper and Kimber before getting too excited, heck, even a nice Ruger or CZ in the new caliber would be welcome. If the new little round takes off, you can be sure some nice rifles chambered for it will follow shortly.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Post by terrace »

I will also get one if this happens
Varoum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Varoum »

CZ 527 is already available in .22 Hornet. Just put a .17 barrel. I am waiting for CZ...
jrwoitalla

Post by jrwoitalla »

What about dies? Do you have them custom made?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jrwoitalla wrote:What about dies? Do you have them custom made?
No, this is another commercial offering, and as such dies, loaded ammo and loading data will all eventually be available from all the usual suspects just as in every case of a new cartridge being offered.

Sit down, have a cup of joe, relax....all will be available sometime later this year. But you cannot have a HH barrel reamed just yet, as SAAMI has not approved the drawings, but you CAN have an .17 Ackley Hornet on line right away, dies are available for the wildcat version right now.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

As Rick stated its going to be awhile before the 17HH and and the products to support it are readily available. We have access to the Redding 17 Ackley Hornet die sets and have sold them to many customers. I can gurantee our price is the best you will find, if interested in a price quote let me know. Sales@customreloadingtools.com

Rick in Oregon wrote:
jrwoitalla wrote:What about dies? Do you have them custom made?
No, this is another commercial offering, and as such dies, loaded ammo and loading data will all eventually be available from all the usual suspects just as in every case of a new cartridge being offered.

Sit down, have a cup of joe, relax....all will be available sometime later this year. But you cannot have a HH barrel reamed just yet, as SAAMI has not approved the drawings, but you CAN have an .17 Ackley Hornet on line right away, dies are available for the wildcat version right now.
terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Post by terrace »

"already available in .22 Hornet. Just put a .17 barrel. I am waiting for CZ."
or get a cooper here

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =269616646
22 HORNET

Post by 22 HORNET »

talk to CZ and they said they are making one by 01/01/2013 HORNET
Varoum

Post by Varoum »

22 HORNET wrote:talk to CZ and they said they are making one by 01/01/2013 HORNET
Here is a copy and paste of a message. If you want a CZ 527. Send a short message to the lady. I did. :D

17 (Hornady) Hornet: Spoke with both Hornady & CZ-USA today...

Please do not shoot the messenger on the following...I'm just the messenger and an enthusiast. I just happen to make a few calls and am sharing what I found. I admittedly would also like to make this have a more successful outcome than previous requests.

Okay, so I spoke with CZ-USA today first. I spoke with them about the new 17 Hornet released by Hornady last month. I was told that they have had several calls asking about CZ 527's in 17 Hornet. I asked about the probability about any kind of announcement at the January Shot Show for 2012. I was told that there was ZERO possibility of an announcement for 2012...maybe for 2013...if their is a demand..but not 2012. More on that in a moment.

I then asked why they weren't for 2012. I was told flat out Hornady did not consult with them at all and they had absolutely no advance notice before anyone else including consumers. They had only only been hearing rumors like the rest of us. They were not informed until November 4th like everyone else. If they had, they may have otherwise tried to get some of the plant production time in 2012 for rifles in this cartidge. (I was told though, that their custom house would be happy to build one for me. Been there.) So...no chance in 2012.

As to 2013...sadly this may even be looking a little bit sketchy. The reason I say that is previously (as many of you know), I tried to lead a charge in order to convince CZ-USA to get CZ-UB to FACTORY produce 527's in .20 VarTarg. One of the things I learned in this pursuit was that its nice that a cartridge is SAAMI approved...but that is not enough for European arms manufactures. In the end, as it was explained to me, one of the biggest problems is that in order for CZ-UB to produce a factory rifle & export it it has to also be C.I.P approved. (Maybe wiser folks like MarinePMI can shed additional light on this.) So...the .20 VarTarg is not C.I.P. approved and this takes a serious investment of time and money in order to receive this certification...CZ was not by themselves going to seek this certification. Now...how that applies regarding 17 Hornet by Hornady leads me to my next phone call...to Hornady.

I got to speak to very nice person at Hornady about their new cartridge & I let them know how pleased I was about it. I asked when we would actually see ammo officially? They said it would ship this month. I then asked when they would ship dies? I was told they to would ship this month as well. My next question was when brass would be available and was told it would ship in February. All kind of amazing since there are NO rifles yet.

I then asked when reamer specs would be available and was told...soon. Not sure what that meant but I got distracted with my next question and forgot to follow up on this very important query. My final question was that yes I knew it was SAAMI approved but was it also C.I.P. approved yet? They weren't sure but if I would wait on hold, they would find out. They came back a few minutes later and told me that no it was not yet. I told them why I was asking and the asked WHEN it would be C.I.P. approved? To that, they admitted that they actually had not submitted for approval yet and really were not scheduled to until next summer. I then informed her that the sooner they did the better it would help their sales and success of this long awaited round. Especially considering CZ was one of the premium potential manufactures for this round.

I have to say this surprised and disappointed me with Hornady as they usually seem to have their ducks in a row. I would rather see them have waited longer to release it if it meant having a few more ducks in a row in order to insure the greatest success of the round. (That said they could easily have other things going on that we're not privy to.) They did tell me that they would be happy to share the specs with any rifle manufacture or builders ASAP. I then respectfully provided them with an email address of someone at CZ-USA that was awaiting their contact; especially if they wanted them to produce rifles in this cartridge by 2013...sooner the better. On this note, I encourage all to contact Hornady...regularly and often...to get the C.I.P. certification ASAP. Maybe someone on here can provide us with the best email addy to send request & reminders to??

Okay back to my original call to CZ-USA and producing the 527's in 17 Hornet in 2013. I was told that this would only happen if they had enough "official" demand for it and if C.I.P. approvals were obtained. I asked how much demand was enough and was told they may make a run for as little as 100 pieces. I then asked in what form would they like to see "official" demand or request. I was told by this nice young lady named Alex that it basically didn't exist unless they got letters or emails that they could save & use to document to CZ-UB the request and demand. She then gave me her email address that I could share and post to send "official" request that they produce rifles if this caliber OEM in 2013. Here is the address:

Alex@CZ-usa.com

If you have a serious interest in this round and especially in a rifle by CZ, I suggest that you send them a quick, simple and short request stating as much. Please...please keep these simple, concise and separate from other request. Maybe state the barrel profile etc but do not turn it into a long wish list, critique or political treatise. Make sense?

I hope you do so and that we can make this happen more successfully this time round. That said, I think we have a much better chance of making this happen than we ever did with the .20 VarTarg or even the 17 Fireball. But it is going to take patience and persistance...and C.I.P. approval. But that will likely take care of itself if you take a moment to make these to short and painless request.

Sorry so long and while disappointed I will not have an OEM CZ in 17 Hornet as soon as I'd hoped, I hope you find this as encouraging as I did that it it actually can and will happen.

Cheers,