Finally....a break!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Finally....a break!

Post by Rick in Oregon »

We've had our fill of "global warming" here on the high desert lately. Snow, then rain, then rain/snow and high winds for weeks......then finally a break desprately needed to cure cabin fever, and get the rat rifles ready for the 2012 season.

I just installed Jard 10 oz triggers in my Cooper varmint rifles (M38 20VT, M21 223, M21 MTV 204), and took advantage of a break in the "spring weather", and cruised out to my range in the outback here to get all three rifles back on paper after the trigger replacements. And oh-boy, what sweet triggers they are now. :D

"Wicked Wanda", my Cooper M21 MTV 204 taking her turn on the bench in preparation for teaching Skippy his flying lessons very soon during the break on a nice sunny day here last week...note the snow on the mountains though:

Almost time for Wanda's annual spring workout....and she's ready!

The focus of attention soon, a young squirrel sunning himself outside his den last year....

And a successful launch of one of his pals out in the alfalfa via "204 Airways"!

I'm sure it doesn't show that I'm iching to get out again. Back to the gun room now..... loading 22 K-Hornet, the last batch of 2012 varmint ammo....... Come-on Spring! :wink:
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Re: Finally....a break!

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Aw he's so cute :lol:
I may never get a taste of that squirrel/pd/rat action down under, but I'm still getting excited for all you guys that will. Looking forward to some documentation of Wicked Wanda and pals' adventures.
And pics - lots of pics
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Rick looking forward to the rat report.
I dont think you are the only one out there that has cabin fever, :) .
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

That is generally what we are experiencing in this neck of the woods (high plains) this time of the year. However, it has been unseasonably warm for quite some time now. Luckily work has been really dead so I've been having to take a break and go find a some willing targets.

Here is the 1st one of the season. He was facing away from me on all fours and the 32 gr V-Max kinda unzipped him.

This was later that day.

I think he was the 'father' of this years pups by the looks of things.

Well I hope you are able to keep your trigger finger distracted until you find that honey hole of little rats.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick...I sure hope the spring is better this year because the last two have been a tad cool, even over here on the west side. It was looking up last week but today it reminded me of some tours in Scotland back in the 70's...raining sideways.

Jim
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I too have been itching to get some trigger time and give flying lessons. It was raining at the new spot I want to try out this year. They ARE out. Rick, if you have all your reloading done, can I send you my empty cases for a refill and then return, of course. :mrgreen:
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Rick's photos are disgusting.. Here I have been in light rain and snow for over a week and it is snowing again this am. Wet, not much but enough. We really need the moisture, but it slows down my shooting. Have been slipping out the the bench during let ups, but about it. Have not ran out to the sage and chased bunnies for over a week. But it will change in the next week or so. So you guys enjoy yourselves and burn powder. Bill K
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Starting to see diggers and rockchucks here as well. Had a nice (over due) rain last night and now a sunny morning, just the way it should be! Calling for wind Saturday w/ gusts as high as 65mph though. I'd say the weather is just about erratic enough to signify the arrival of Spring for us.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I hear ya Rick. I've been in a purdy foul mood for a while. Cabin fever is getting worse every year for me. And as I get older, I really don't tolerate the cold very well. I have test loads worked up to try in my 20VT, but the weather is not cooperating. Both my 204 and 223 are ready to go, as I have more than enough ammo loaded for them, but still want to make sure of the zero, before heading out to the "Rat Fields" to play with "Skippy".
Spring is my favorite time of year. Seems any more spring just does not last long enough! Guess I am just getting old. :wall:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I was all ready to do some final load tests this weekend and BOOM...hit with another round of winter! Guess I'll be inside again watching the snow. Running low on firewood too.
K = ½mv2
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well, it appears most of us on the west coast are still in the "winter phase" of spring. :lol: I'm ready for the real thing!

Two years ago during a four day rat trip the last weekend of May (Memorial Day weekend for crikey sakes!), this is what we awoke to at the ranch Saturday morning as we were preparing to head out to bench shoot rats for the day:

That's one heap of "Global Warming" on my truck! Not to worry though, we spent the day "snow painting" with Skippy's help..... :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Double what I see in your photo Rick and that is what is at my place over the last day or two.. Really wet and heavy to plow. As the last verse in one song from Sound of Music goes " I don't feel so bad"... Ha ha. Bill K
Schrutester
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Schrutester »

I like your new truck Rick. :D
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Schrutester wrote:I like your new truck Rick. :D
Thanks Schrutester....it was a real tug watching my old girl "Big Red" go down the road on a trailer after owning her for exactly 37 years to the very day (Dec 13, 1974 - Dec 13, 2011). She now lives at the ranch where we do all our rodent control, so I can visit her every time I'm at the ranch after Skippy and his pals. :D

After driving my old rig for all those years (and many elk funerals :wink: ), I gained 30 years of technology overnight with my new rig....THAT was a real change....no more roll-up windows! :lol:

This one blends in better out in the open desert too. A day at "my range" doing pre-rat sight-in last week:

It's amazing how attached we get with vehicles we've owned for many years; it was almost like watching a good friend go down the road for the last time. :? The new rig should last until MY expiration date. Soon "Goldie" will be loaded with a bunch of varmint rifles and related gear.......spring IS here, right? :chin:
Bill K wrote:Double what I see in your photo Rick and that is what is at my place over the last day or two.. Really wet and heavy to plow. As the last verse in one song from Sound of Music goes " I don't feel so bad"... Ha ha. Bill K
Bill - So.....misery loves company eh? :lol: I've had enough Global Warming to last me till rat season 2035. This stuff has got to stop eventually, right? The day pictured above last week was a rare bird indeed......no rain or snow for a whopping 48 hours! :shock:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I am far from being a fan of Gore, but I sure wish he would visit me for two days, go out and about with me on a rabbit jaunt and walk about five to six miles chasing the little devils. I would let him carry one of the 223's.. Then i would like him to tell me about global warming and how the temp is rising, etc. Of course it would be on a day just like yesterday and today, so far. Wet snow, cold and windy.. Think he would have fun ???? I doubt it. But it sure would be fun for me. A few more weeks and it will start warming, yes.. and I am ready. You take care, enjoy the new truck Rick.. And all the rest of you guys out in our great varmint land. Bill K