food plot ?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

food plot ?

Post by 204cat »

food plot ?

right now i am growing a garden or food plot. just planted seeds and waiting for them to grow. i have a hard time keeping lettuce growing. it starts then dies out. have peppers tomatoes carrots chives cilantro broccoli two types of sweet corn and thyme and sage.

do you ever use your plot to bait pray ? what do you have growing ? how do you store or save what you harvest ? do you sell any of your harvest ?

i have mason jars so i can them. also have more seeds but have not put them out yet. also any good recieps ?

oh also have watermelon and cantaloupe.
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: food plot ?

Post by GTOHunter »

Actually we plant some really large Food Plots here in Missouri,the one at our Hunting Lease in about 1 1/2 Acres then we have a few smallers one scatterd around also.We planted Brassicas and Rape,Purple-top Turnips,Raddishes and wheat.A few years ago we tried the same mixture with some Sugar Beets thrown in for good measure and they like them a lot.

We're getting ready to plant some white clover mixed with the Brassicas and Rape (related to Turnips) which is a leafy plant with the large green leafs for the Deer to browse on but it doesn't have the large underground round bulb as turnips do.Now the Wife plants a large Garden out behind the house and I have had the pleasure of chasing the Rabbits off and shooting the few groundhogs that have made their way up to it from the Barn thats about 100 yards away.Lets see....the Wifey plants Tomato's,Cucumbers,Okra,green beans,Squash and Cantelopes too!
204cat

Post by 204cat »

have something called kohlrabi have no idea what it is. and some pak choi. have no idea if it will grow.

sounds like you have a good garden.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

204cat wrote:have something called kohlrabi have no idea what it is. and some pak choi. have no idea if it will grow.

sounds like you have a good garden.
Kohlrabi is related to broccoli/cabbage - brassica family. You can eat the leaves, but it's grown for the bulbous base. Once it reaches about fist size, you pull it, and trim the outer skin. Tastes like broccoli stem. Very nice and juicy if the water is kept up to it. Pak/bokchoy needs lots of water too for a healthy plant. Watch the snails on that one - they love it.
In general, any successful veggie plot needs deep soil, so we've built up our garden with retaining wall pine planks, and layered straw and cow poo among the soil.
Nice place to tune out and grow a healthy feed
204cat

Post by 204cat »

thank you. the garden was tilled and seeds set out. have no idea how deep think 6" . saw the seeds and thought i will try those. one of these days i will build a container garden. with wood siding.
204cat

Post by 204cat »

celantro

iceburg lettuce

when they are big enough they will get transplanted to here. enjoy!

i do not know why some squares came up and others did not.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

I'd put in some taters too if I were you...always an easy crop and fun to grow. I prefer the reds and Yukon Gold.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
204cat

Post by 204cat »

yum yukon! very good idea!
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

204cat wrote:i do not know why some squares came up and others did not.
Just a matter of seed viability. Not all flowers on the parent plant would have been fertilized. Always plant more than you can use to allow for this, then extras can be given to friends/family.
204cat

Post by 204cat »

Just a matter of seed viability. Not all flowers on the parent plant would have been fertilized. Always plant more than you can use to allow for this, then extras can be given to friends/family.
thank you very much. i was thinking that the flower had to be fertilized before it produced seeds. doh. more like the chicken eggs. eggs then fertilize.

extras can be sold. or saved in cans etc.
204cat

Post by 204cat »

Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Good work. You've been a busy lad.
Our winter garden is taking off now, but it's been all thanks to my better half. I did a lot of work in the patch years ago, but this time of year I'm at sea too often to give the garden enough love. So she's learning, and enjoying it. It's great to see her taking on this job too - more time for me to spend reloading and shooting :lol:
And I'll keep and eye out for any rabbits that get brave enough to have a look at her hard work. Maybe they'll end up in the pot together :D
204cat

Post by 204cat »

thank you very much. some bunny got to the three iceberg lettuces and took it down to one inch. it is back now to 5 inches. top pic is some more stuff that was sowed. what is not shown is 12 packs of carrot seeds that was sown. they did not come up. do not know why eighter. want to attract as many bunnies as i can. i enjoy watching them. discovered that i could cut a beer can or soda can in half. the top already has a large hole and i then poke a few holes in the bottom to drain. use them as cheep planters or pots.