Steel Shot Reloading

Talk about hunting birds.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Steel Shot Reloading

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:42 pm I didn't realize reloading steel shot was so technical.
Skipper, after shotgunning and reloading shotshells for right at 25 years, when they passed all the dang steel shot laws, my duck/goose hunting ceased right there. I'm still set up with two MEC 9000's for 12 & 20ga, but lead shot only for chuckars, phesants and doves here. When I saw what a pain steel was, and owning some O/U's that are NOT steel shot rated (Beretta's, Miroku's, Browning's.....) I saw no reason to delve into steel shot reloading. Plus, when my duck hunting partner went to the Great Reward in '88, my zeal for waterfowl just waned.

But I fully realize that if one intends to go after ducks and geese, steel is now the name of the game. I just won't be playing. Shame too, as some of my fondest memories are duck hunting with my dad back in the 60's in the CA central flyway. The smell of fresh-burned powder in the early morning fog.....great stuff.

So the very best of luck to you in your new steel shot endeavor. Just don't bite down on any of that steel at dinner! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Exactly what and how I did Rick.. Partner dying and the steel shot, just ended 98% of my shot gun shooting. But skipper and those that want to delve into it, I sure hope they enjoy it.. Bill K :)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Duck hunting is in my blood. Whatever it takes for as long as I still can, that's my motto.

I was on the phone talking to MEC this morning about the rammer tube settings. I set up my SteelMaster as a dedicated 3 in duck load machine and now I'm experiencing issues with the orange Ballistic Products (BP) TUPRW123 wads and 1/8 inch filler pads. Got some good advice, but wasn't quite convinced. Then I was on the phone with BP to get their opinion (2nd). Got that situation under control now. According to MEC the rammer tube was set too high since I converted the platform for 3 in hulls. I needed to lower it 1/4 inch even though the tech told me that pressing the plastic wads to a particular pressure on top of the powder didn't really gain anything with plastic wads nowadays. Also the BP tech said the wads were sticking to the rammer when I raised the handle because I needed to switch to a 20 gauge rammer tube for that particular wad. BP also said a little polishing the outside of the rammer tube might do the trick. I used 1500 grip wet/dry sandpaper to polish the tube, but I haven't tried it out just yet. Later will have to do.

Right now I've turned my attention to a boat duck blind build. Fast grass and cammo netting with a PVC frame just might do the trick. My son and I built quite a few blinds in the Laguna Madre years ago. In Texas, if you build it on public lands then it belongs to whomever is using it at the time. In other words, as you drive the last nail, the public thanks you for your contribution. Boat blinds are different, plus I can take it with me when I get finished.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

Great story of your venture into steel shot reloading. I use to do a lot of lead shot reloading while being in a trap shooting league many years ago. Really liked it but a move put me in an area without much in the way of trap or skeet shooting. I have a Mec9000G progressive loader in the attic along with a couple trash bags full of AA hulls. Can I load steel shot with this press? I've never looked into it but wonder if it can be done? Randy.
skipper

Post by skipper »

It can be done, but the cost would be prohibitive. You would need a Steel Charge Bar, and a steel conversion kit. MEC sells both. I think the conversion kit just includes a steel shot bottle, drop tube and crimp starter. If you decided you wanted to load three inch shells, you would have to factor that in as well.

I think the best idea is to have another press dedicated to steel shot. I would go with a single stage since you will probably opt to hand weigh each charge. You might even consider a Lee Load All 2.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Forget to say, I'm going to invest in a fully adjustable Universal Charge Bar. Then I don't have to search around for charge bars and powder bushings. I'll post some pictures when it arrives.