Thanksgiving in spring.

Talk about hunting birds.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Thanksgiving in spring.

Post by bullfrog »

Just got back from Fossil, OR hunting turkeys. I saw this tom struttin and gobblin across a steep draw in the late afternoon on the last day I had to hunt. I carefully walked to where I thought I would be just below him (took me about 30 minutes), and started with some hen calls. It almost scared me when he gobbled back at me. He must of only been about 75 yards away. I couldn't see because the trees were pretty thick as we were on a north facing slope. I got in a nice shady spot and kept calling. He kept gobblin down towards me and I saw him at about 60 yards. It took another 5 minutes or so for him to close the distance. Couldn't have been more perfect. I blasted him at 28 steps.
He isn't as big as the one I got last year, but the hunt was a blast. 7" beard and estimated at 18 pounds by Neighbor Bob, the self proclaimed turkey expert.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Thanksgiving in spring.

Post by Glen »

Congrats bullfrog!! That's a nice lookin bird you got there!! I'll start Monday AM @ 6:11 trying for mine!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

bullfrog,

Congratulations on your turkey! It sounds like you had a good time. I love the country you have there. I can only dream of hunting in country like that. Some of my best, most memorable hunts haven't yielded the biggest bird of biggest deer. That's why they call it hunting!

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us, and pictures too!
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Here is a couple more pics of the country. Lots of deer and elk around too.
It's big country but provides lots of cover for game as well. Doesn't get much better!
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.