2008-2009 Duck Season

Talk about hunting birds.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

2008-2009 Duck Season

Post by skipper »

I've been in the garage for the last few nights getting ready for duck season. I normally go with my son and talleywacker (Justin) but I'm trying to get ready to strike out on my own. I've been strigning decoys and getting the sights on my shotgun changed out. I'm going to try some of the local lakes this year. The Laguna Madre is nice hunting but, I want to get back to the lakes where I started duck hunting years ago with one of my buddies that died last year. Willie and I used to break ice on Lake Murval back in the eighties. I've never seen a lake that hosts more species than Lake Murval. Murph's Bait Camp right on the bridge is a place I spent many a night getting ready for some serious duck hunting. We even had the lake all mapped out. If you wanted to shoot Canvas Backs, you would go to a certain set of blinds, Buffle Heads another set of blinds, Wood Ducks even a different set of blinds. It seemed like each species had a certain part of the lake they would be attracted to. I'm ready for some serious wing shooting. I hope my son, Duckslayr161 is ready for this season. Justin (talleywacker) got transfered so this might be an interesting season.

I was hoping to bag a mountable Ring Neck or Golden Eye this year. I almost got run off throwing down the gauntlet last year, but I hope my son is ready for another challenge. :eek: Did I say Challenge??? Time heals all wounds.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Re: 2008-2009 Duck Season

Post by WaltherP99 »

Good Louck Boss!

I'll be getting out for an afternoon shindig tomorrow so we'll see what happens. I was out Saturday for a bit and had a ton of mallards come by but I just couldn't connect! It seems the drought is going to continue! I've been in it since last year! :eek:
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I drove to Corpus Christi this weekend to go duck hunting with my son, Duckslayr161, and Talleywhacker. We all had a real good time. We didn’t limit out on our three hunts together but, we did get limits of redheads and shot pintails, widgeons, blue bills (scaup) on two of our three hunts. It was real warm but, the ducks were there in pretty good numbers.

Opening morning, we got out to the blind early and got all set up. It must have taken us an hour and a half to get all the decoys set out and the boat anchored in the distance. We were waiting in the duck blind and eying our watches, counting down the last few minutes before shooting time when my son’s phone rang. It was his wife. She was on call and had just gotten called in to work. We couldn’t believe he actually had to leave and go home to babysit just five minutes before shooting time. Talleywhacker gave him a ride to the base marina and then returned about twenty minutes later. I hadn’t even gotten off the first shot before he returned. We stayed out until we were limited out on redheads and had out daily bag limit pretty much filled out. After that we picked everything up and did a little drift fishing before we returned home for lunch.

One of my son’s neighbors volunteered to babysit so we could all go out for an evening hunt together. It wasn’t quite as successful as the morning hunt, but we had fun all the same. Sunday morning we all set out again and this time there were no interruptions. We bagged twelve of our fifteen duck limit and just couldn’t pick one widgeon or blue bill out of a flock of red heads so we finally gave up and called it a trip. I look forward to going hunting again around Christmas time.

We even got stopped by the Game Warden. Game Warden Micheal Weelington and Associate Game Warden Amber Heard checked all our birds. They checked our liscenses and our shot shells. They even checked that our shotguns would only hold three shells. This same Game Warden stops my son and Talley every year one time. After that he doesn't bother to check them again until the next year.

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Skipper, I love the shot of the dog in the blind! Thanks for posting. Gary