Oregon Turkey

Talk about hunting birds.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Oregon Turkey

Post by bullfrog »

Went out last week for the opening couple of days. Not as many birds as we usually see, but somehow we went 4 for 4 anyways. I got mine on the second morning. We heard some gobbles up the hill from the "hot spot" so we sat down and started calling. Not long after we were pretty much surrounded by birds, but nothing would come in range. Next thing I know a tom flies down from the roost and lands 5 yards in front of me. After a loud gobble he started slowly walking past me. I lifted my shotgun as he went behind a tree and just as his head cleared...nothing. I had tried to jack a shell in the chamber earlier as quietly as I could, and must not have gotten the pump handle forward enough. When I jammed it forward, the tom turned and ran, then flew back up to his roost where he proceeded to gobble for about 25 minutes. Finally, he flew down again. Not as close as the first time, but still in a good lane. I nailed him at 25 yards. I was really luck because if he had flown the opposite direction, I wouldn't have had a shot. My cousin shot a jake that ran his way after I shot mine.
My tom had an 8 inch beard. The winner out of the 4 of us was a 9" Both respectible for this ranch, but not the biggest we've gotten.

I love this ranch we hunt on. Nice and green in the spring with lots of wildlife.

My son was pretty sure he need to bash him in the head a few times to make sure he was dead. :? Not sure what that was about.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Oregon Turkey

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bullfrog: Congrats on the gobbler! Glad you got out and had a good hunt.

Looks like your son is just administrating a final coup de grace "just in case". He'll be out there with you in another few years.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Cool deal!! Nice lookin bird & you're boy is just makin sure is all. He's gonna be a good one for our sport later in life with his attitude of quick clean kills. :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

bullfrog,

Isn't it great when it comes together, and then not, and together again? The unexpected just puts icing on the cake.

It won't be long you'll be out there with your son and hunting will take on a whole different meaning.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.