Ducks!

Talk about hunting birds.
Guy M

Ducks!

Post by Guy M »

Although I grew up hunting ducks, geese, pheasant and dove, anymore I don't hunt birds nearly as often as I used to... And I really should. A good buddy invited me out for geese. Four of us went. Most of the geese had left, so we headed to a blind along Crab Creek and shot ducks. My goodness it was a good day of duck hunting! Started slow, but we kept picking off one or two birds here and there. Mostly a mix of mallards and teal. I ended up with three mallards and three teal. Lost one bird, a teal. I shot it, couldn't find it, and eventually a hawk turned it into lunch. Ah well - at least the hawk got a meal out of it!

View from the blind:

And some bundled up hunter - I think it was about 15 or 18 degrees or something like that this morning. Cold, whatever it was...

Guy
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Ducks!

Post by ryutzy »

Nice birds!!! Looks like it was a good time. Our season opens this coming Saturday, so I'm excited about getting after the birds. Between coyotes and birds I'm pretty busy all winter. I bought a new blind and some decoys this year so we shall see how they work for me.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
venison_burger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps chambered in .204 ruger

Post by venison_burger »

Guy,
Looks like a memorable hunt! Late season birds are always a lot of fun. We hunted our last duck hunt before freeze up on November 11th. I'm jealous of the long seasons most other places get. Sometimes we freeze up before the end of October!

Will you get any more chances to go out or are you all froze up? Looks like you got a pintail in there as well!

Hunting predators is great but I'm a 'fowler at heart!

Good luck if you are able to go out again
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Thanks! It was a mighty fine day in the duck blind.

Don't know if I'm going to get out again or not... Sure would enjoy it...

Maybe geese this time - if they come back. Not too cold today, mid/high 20's and snowing like crazy!

Guy
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Guy sounds like you had a good time.