AR Reliability

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
mec1
.204 Ruger Guns: AR15

AR Reliability

Post by mec1 »

Hey Everyone,

I've finished building my AR and am having some reliability issues (short stroking). I think it's related to a faulty bolt carrier, but I'm still hashing that out. My question for everyone is how particular are all of your AR's with different ammo? I've been shooting Federal 32gr ammo for barrel break in, has anyone else has issues ahooting light bullets.

Have you guys had function problems with new guns that go away after some break in? What about different parts such as heavier buffers, stiffer buffer springs, carrier weight systems. My lower is completely mil-spec except the trigger but I'm interested to know what parts all of you guys are using. Also, how much lubrication do you guys use in your guns?

Thanks!
Bushmaster223
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington R-15 .204 Ruger

Re: AR Reliability

Post by Bushmaster223 »

I have had some issues with a couple of mine when they were new, that after a few hundred rounds, the rifle seemed to "break in" and the issues went away. I also oil heavily when breaking in.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

+1 for lots of oil! Your AR mechanism should be wet with oil. I have no issues when I've got plenty of oil on it. New metal soaks up an amazing amount of oil. When I first got my AR I oiled it well and put it away for a few days till I had time to shoot it. When I took it out to shoot it did not cycle very well. I was surprised to see that the mechanism was dry. I had to oil it well several times over the next couple weeks even when it was not fired. I now have no problems and when I oil the mechanism it will now stay wet for an extended period of time. No more issues.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

kirk
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT, Les Baer Super Varmint, Cooper Model 21

Post by kirk »

Fred,

Thanks for posting that link. Helps me a lot.

Kirk
mec1
.204 Ruger Guns: AR15

Post by mec1 »

Lubrication was the key. I went back to the range and shot some more, and with the BCG loaded with oil, it worked great. Thanks for the advice!
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

"Mobile 1" synthetic oil works excellent in the AR and a quart will last many years.

Tom
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

First off ,cleaning : I oil the actual bolt and firing pin. in the carrier slide points I use a light coat of grease. I have had no issues and built my AR from scratch! Bullet size has nothing to do with action function more or less! It is the gas protruded tru the gas tube that cycles the action!
Gas tube alighnment with gas port in the barrel could be a issue if something has shifted, IE. Gas Block etc. Is your gas tube clean? They make a long pipe cleaner for gas tube cleaning! I use break cleaner and blow out with compressed air. The ar was designed for military purpose to fire multiple consecutive rounds in combat conditions. It is a M 16 with semi auto fire control group! If action isnt cycling proper , it is either gas tube blockage, bolt carrier issue , or rare instance lower receiver issue. My bet is gas tube!
stein
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 ar-15 frankenstein.

Post by stein »

I too had cycling issues. My problem turned out to be not enough oil and too low of a load. Lee suggested 21.0 of imr 4198. As soon as I got up to 22.0 gr. Not one malfunction since.