Flat base for handguard

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Flat base for handguard

Post by randyman »

Does anyone know of a wide base attachment/accessory for the bottom of the handguard? It would be mounted to the bottom picatinny rail for a wider platform when shooting off a rest or bags. Mine is only about 3/4" wide and I'd like to get something wider for a more stable rest. Something on the lines of what the stock looks like on competition benchrest guns. I have a swivel sling mount on the bottom now and it's like resting the rifle on a marble. I'll be removing it anyway since I don't use the sling on my 204. Thanks, Randy.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Flat base for handguard

Post by skipper »

6mmAR.com has a flat base bag rider for the AR platform. It's not exactly what you're describing, but you may be able to adapt it to suit your needs. Look under the Benchrest AR tab.

bag_rider_on_rifle.jpg
bag_rider_on_rifle.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 9792 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
randyman

Post by randyman »

Thanks, that's pretty close to what I'm looking for and after checking out the website they have them for picatinny rails also. They also have the rear platform for the stock but here in Ca. I have to use a different type stock. I used a bi-pod on the front for the 5 shot challenge but still get a little bit of wiggle out of it. Looking to tighten up the group for next year! Randy.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

A set up like that would work Randy. But with your present forearm on the AR, how about a full body type bag, like the Caldwell one's ? They support the whole forearm portion of most all rifles and are very steady to work with and settle the rifles into. Bill K
randyman

Post by randyman »

Thanks Bill, that might work just as well or even better so I don't have to remove the bipod mount. I made my own bags out of some old lead shot bags and filled them with dry kidney beans. They're pretty light weight and seem to support the gun really well. I've been shooting off of a Caldwell Matrix rest and there's not much room for support. I like the way it adjusts and have been jamming a bean bag in the narrow slot and making it work. Trying to find ways to get my groups a bit tighter for the next 5 shot. Thanks again Bill-Randy.
skipper

Post by skipper »

A flat base with a bag that matches is the only way to go. I have a custom .204 benchrest rig with a flat base, Shehane Tracker, that allows the rifle to recoil backwards and you just have to push it forward against the stop to return to the previous position with the rifle still level. Anything else other than an exact return to the previous position will not work for bench shooting. That front swivel stud is going to need to be removed for bench shooting.
skipper

Post by skipper »

You may also want to buy a bubble level for your rifle. They make models that mount directly to your scope or to other placers on your AR. They will insure that you're not inducing cant into your rifle between shots.