Want AR do I even bother trying to find something?

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
TD-Max

Want AR do I even bother trying to find something?

Post by TD-Max »

I've always wanted an AR, but have never actively pursued one. Given the current political climate can a guy even find something that's not a price gouge?

I'd want something nicer more like REALLY nice. Something along the lines of the AR equivalent of a Sako rifle. I'm prepared to spend $2-3k but I don't want to spend that kind of money for something that was only worth $1k just a few short months ago. I realize that this site is not a big AR site, but I'm comfortable that I can trust the feedback that I get here as it's small enough to be more family type.

I'd probably go .223 for standardized economical ammo. Selective single fire (manual cycle) wouldn't be a bad idea either in the event a guy wanted to plink and collect brass without a catcher. Top notch trigger mandatory thinking 16" and maybe a medium to lighter contour stainless barrel possibly coated to be black or olive/camo. Nothing gawdy like most of the Red Jacket crap you see on TV with a toatser etc. A light holder, maybe a dot of some sort and the ability to switch to fixed sights maybe. Adjustable butt stock I guess as well.

My alternate plan is to do a defense type shotgun like a Benelli M2 or M4 and wait to see what happens when the madness dies down.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Want AR do I even bother trying to find something?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TD: Look no further. This is the epitome of AR's/M4's, used by operators "in the know". This is all you need to know, considering what you ask for:

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/

John Noveske, the owner was an incredable guy, a personal friend of one of my sons, Dave, and a True American Bada$$. We are truly diminished by his passing last week. The company is still very much in business, and will continue to be.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bang bang
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage m10 max1

Post by bang bang »

There are many great AR-15 builders out there, Les Baer, Wilson, LWRC that have something similar to what you are looking for. I just got done building a MK12 Mod 1 SPR. I bought a complete MK12 upper Assy. From www.HIGHCALIBERSALES.COM Awesome guys to work with. The MK12 is an 18" medium weight Douglas SS barrel, 1x7 twist. That twist will allow you to shoot light weight bullets up to the 77gr. SMK. Without getting into the specifics of a MK 12 do a Google search and check it out to see if you like it. In my opinion if you mate that up with a ROCK RIVER Arms lower with there 2 stage trigger, you can't go wrong. Mine shoots everything excellent. Good luck with your decision, there is a lot out there to look at.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I have a Stag Arms Mod 6 varmint, and I highly reccommend them. The have an excellent industry reputation. This is a 1/2 in MOA weapon.
K = ½mv2
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by savageboy23 »

Bodei wrote:I have a Stag Arms Mod 6 varmint, and I highly reccommend them. The have an excellent industry reputation. This is a 1/2 in MOA weapon.
I also have a model 6. I only have the upper mounted on a DA arms lower; and I highly recommend it.
I have a Nikon Monarch 5x20mm scope mounted in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount. Harris pivoting bi-pod. This rifle is heavy so recoil is almost minimal.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Rick in Oregon wrote:TD: Look no further. This is the epitome of AR's/M4's, used by operators "in the know". This is all you need to know, considering what you ask for:

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/

John Noveske, the owner was an incredable guy, a personal friend of one of my sons, Dave, and a True American Bada$$. We are truly diminished by his passing last week. The company is still very much in business, and will continue to be.

Thanks Rick,

Looks like Noveske only has one dealer in state and that one is part time. I tried calling Noveske, but they aren't answering phones or at least not keeping up...
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

TD,

I have a couple of thoughts on the matter. First, I do not believe the upper end AR market has been affected by price as much as the lower and middle segments. If you want a high-end AR, you shouldn't feel too bad about buying one today and getting raked over the coals.

Second, you have to look at the political landscape and decide if an AWB (assault weapons ban) is likely to get Congressional approval. There are a lot of people, including key Democrats, who are openly saying the votes aren't there to pass such a ban. This might be political theater or it might be reality. You have to make that prediction on your own and act accordingly.

Best of luck in the search.
Mike
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Only problem is Old Mother Hubbard...

and most mfr's are 1-2 years out not and taking calls or orders.

I hope that you are right on the ban not passing. The people sure are "voting" in droves with their wallets cleaning the shelves of gun shops everywhere.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Well the Noveske SPR 18" w/switchblock is officially on my wish list for if/when things settle down. For now it's the Benelli M4 as we have a turkey population that is flat out insane and needs to be thinned.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

If you shop wisely, you can pick up a good used rifle (or build one), and beat the long waits for new stuff. However, it will generally cost more because you are paying for your haste...

'That said, you can still do well. Watch the equipment exchange on AR15.com. Know what you want AHEAD of time, and strike when you see what you want from a reputable "brother", because it likely won't last long if it is posted for a fair price...
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

If you wait for the AWB to fail, then there will be a great market for used ARs!
K = ½mv2
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

Post by brokeasajoke »

Many people have been wanting to buy my savage 111 .338Lm and they all are wanting to trade ARs at current bloated prices. Im setting it out on ammo ($40 a box of bulk 22lr) and parts. I think this current trend will blow over
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Shortage of AR's. Not around these parts, as right now there's no less than 14 AR's and AK's in the local paper. All are at inflated prices of course, but there's plenty of 'em about.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

shaman
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by shaman »

I have seen two shilen barreled 204 uppers sell for less than $800 in the last two weeks.