3 card split

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

3 card split

Post by Hedge »

I'm still shaking my head at how far my wife has come in shooting. I got her her own AR15. A DPMS Prairie Panther. She was doing ok with it but the hand guard came loose. (it's a carbon fore end glued to the barrel nut). I finally got around to fixing it and we took it out and zeroed it.

Then she wanted to see how accurate it is. She'd been popping eggs at 200 yds with my RRA but this time she wanted to try golf balls @ 200 with her own rifle. That quickly became boring (she didn't miss, once she got the wind dialed in). Next was dimes at 100 yds. She proceeded to center punch the dimes. "I want something challenging." she said. Ok, how about cards on edge at 72 yds? (I was too lazy to walk out to 100 yds.)

She was game for it. Here is the result: She fired only 3 shots. One at each card.
Need some suggestions...I'm running out of challenges! :wall:

Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Re: 3 card split

Post by savageboy23 »

How about shooting a gnat at 100yds? lol :eek: I'm sorry I couldn't help myself.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
Hedge

Post by Hedge »

She'd try it, but 10x scope is all she has. ;)
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

You're in ND, so finding a breeze shouldn't be an issue. Tie up some charcoal briquettes with twine and hang them from whatever is handy. Step off to whatever distance becomes a challenge and start plugging away. Stationary targets are not a challenge for your wife, so the introduction of motion seems to be the next logical step. Charcoal also explodes nicely when hit, for a fun visual confirmation.
Hedge

Post by Hedge »

Great idea, Mike! Thanks for the suggestion. She loves reactive targets. Next trip to town has a bag of briquettes on the list. :)
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
Mike

Post by Mike »

My pleasure. You and your wife should have a lot of fun with the charcoal briquettes.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

A shooting buddy of mine, was bothered by some yellow jackets around his wood pile. So one day he decided to set up his bench @ 26 yards, the distance he shoots from with any one of 3 pellet rifles, on a regular basis, just to see if he could hit those nasty critters. He found their nest in a knot hole in a piece of firewood and began to "Take em out, one at a time". I didn't really believe him when he told me about this, on a trip out to visit with him, So he took me down to his wood pile, where his bench was still set up, and showed me the knot hole, There was yellow jacket guts and other stuff all around that knot hole. He is naturally a right handed person, but years ago he lost his right eye in a motorcycle accident. Like myself, he cannot hit his butt with both hands left handed! So he learned how to shoot left eyed, shooting right handed, no matter pistol or rifle. And he is one of the most accurate people I know, with either type firearm. :lol:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Hedge

Post by Hedge »

Yellow jackets and pellet gun...sounds like fun and good practice, too. :)
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Oh man, I'm glad I checked in today!! This is a great thread!!
Hedge

Post by Hedge »

Mike,

Tried the briquettes. Yup, pretty good challenge with a 10 mph wind! Once she got dialed in, she did pretty well. Problem was with the charcoal. It doesn't blow up like I expected. Both of us just blew chunks out of them.

Bow Shot,
Glad you like the thread. Got any ideas?
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Charcoal would make a dust effect. But challenge, how about Baby Aspirin at 100-200 yards. They are really good. Bill K :)
csand
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Firearms

Post by csand »

I thought about filling the little plastic Easter eggs, the ones you fill with candy for the kids, with flour. They may be too big but they might make a nice 'poof' when you hit'em?

Cal
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hedge wrote:Mike,

Tried the briquettes. Yup, pretty good challenge with a 10 mph wind! Once she got dialed in, she did pretty well. Problem was with the charcoal. It doesn't blow up like I expected. Both of us just blew chunks out of them.
I'm surprised you didn't get a dust cloud when you hit the charcoal. I hope it was still entertaining for you and your wife.
Mike

Post by Mike »

csand wrote:I thought about filling the little plastic Easter eggs, the ones you fill with candy for the kids, with flour. They may be too big but they might make a nice 'poof' when you hit'em?

Cal
I'd opt for balloons instead of plastic eggs. Balloons give more flexibility in size and would be cheaper than the plastic eggs.
Hedge

Post by Hedge »

Bill K - Good idea but she has only a 10x scope on her AR. :)

Csand - We did something similar with ping pong balls. Not as dramatic as one would think. However...Easter eggs filled with Tannerite are another story!

Mike - Yup, definitely entertaining. Tnx.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======