Building AR: Barrel nut torque for accuracy?

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Building AR: Barrel nut torque for accuracy?

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hello. I'm sort of new to building an AR & would like opinions on barrel nut torque for accuracy. I'm using a Seekins IRMT-3 V3 upper and a Seekins SP3R V3 hand guard which requires no certain torque to align gas tube holes, it stays aligned at any torque. I've read that the less torque = best accuracy. Anyone know if this is true? Seekins recommends 50 in. lb. but other articles I've read says otherwise. Any comments from you builders would be appreciated. Not sure if it matters or not, but the barrel is a Shilen 24" heavy 204 ruger, 15" hand guard, & Syrac rifle length adjustable gas block. Thanks for any help.
JD Southeast Texas
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Building AR: Barrel nut torque for accuracy?

Post by acloco »

IMHO, 100% synthetic lubricant on threads of barrel nut, threads on upper receiver, face of receiver, and face of barrel extension/and + or/inside face of barrel nut. After lubing, assemble by hand a couple times to spread lubricant across threads.

Go with what the forend manufacturer recommends, as their engineer has designed the barrel nut to provide X amount of torque.
TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

Thank you acloco. I have areoshell 33, is that good? I knew about the barrel nut threads but not the other stuff. Thanks very much, JD
acloco

Post by acloco »

Any lubricant is better than none. Your aeroshell should work just fine.

Do you have the 5 pin barrel nut wrench to torque with? If not, they are the best to torque with.
TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

This is a strange system. The hand guard assembly is built onto the upper & has a groove in it for the gas tube. The titanium barrel nut screws inside this and has two flats on it to use a 1 1/8" wrench or crows foot. It's the easiest most solid system I've ever seen. I do have a MI & Tapco barrel nut wrench for & if I ever need it. Thank you for your time & help. I'm handi capped with ALS and this gives me something to do that I enjoy so I'm learning from good people like you. JD
acloco

Post by acloco »

Excellent. There are a couple flavors of fastening/torqueing systems on barrel nuts.

What brand is the upper/handguard system?
TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

It's a Seekins Precision IRMT-3 V3 billet upper and a Seekins billet lower with a Geissele super enhanced trigger. Thank you MR. acloca for all your help. JD
TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

It's a Seekins Precision IRMT-3 V3 billet upper and a Seekins billet lower with a Geissele super enhanced trigger. The handguard is also Seekins, SP3R V3. Thank you MR. acloca for all your help. JD
acloco

Post by acloco »

WHOA! You went with the FULL MONTY!!!

Post up some pictures when you are done.
TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

Yes Sir, I threw everything out the window on this one, even stuck on a magpul PRS stock. Sure hope it shoots to my expectations. And yes I will post pics. Actually I'm building two almost alike, one this .204 & one in .223. The .223 will have same upper/lower/handguard/trigger but a 20" White Oak Armament varmint barrel with 1-12 twist and x-werks cerakoted my lower, handguard, & scope mount burnt bronze. It's been a real pleasure talking to you & I'll keep you posted for the pics. JD
Trpshtr
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12, AR-15/Shilen

Post by Trpshtr »

Here's the Seekins V3 on my side-charge rig. .204 R 22" Shilen, Fulton Armory upper rcvr/ Young Mfg BC, Adcore lower rcvr with a Geisselle NM match trigger Gas block is a JP adjustable. Took some grinding on the gas block screws to keep it from touching the handguard. Since I built that rifle, I've found a more suitable adjustable gb, but i'm not gonna change it.

TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

Nice rifle TRPSHTR. How does it shoot? I've been wanting a side-charge AR to build but don't know anything about them. Are they hard to disassemble & clean? You manually lock back the bolt? Have a nice holiday season. JD
Trpshtr
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12, AR-15/Shilen

Post by Trpshtr »

Thanks JD, and Happy Holidays to you and everyone else!! I have only fired 39 rounds, so far. (For a short break-in) Got two groups (100 yd) under .400" with factory 40g V-max's. Most groups have been around .750" I have a hunderd prepped (sized, trimmed, neck-turned, primed) cases and a bunch o 39g sbk's, but haven't gotten around to loading any. I'll post test results when i do. The charge handle on the Young carrier just turns on and off by hand so it's no trouble at all to disassemble. (And, yes, it loosens during firing) Bolt locks back on empty mag just like normal. I just bought a Crosshill Technologies side charge receiver and bcg and that handle is removed with a hex wrench. Not really any trouble. I'm doing a 6.8mm spc with that one. I like the side charge 'cause it's convenient to operate w/o lifting your head from the scope. I plan to do some longer-than-magazine length coal's and want to be able to single load easily. First loading project will be mag-length, though.

Side charge receivers are thicker walled than standard. Forearms with "tangs" will need modification, and "battery assist devices" are not likely to fit. at least not w/o some work.
TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

Thanks Trpshtr. I've been looking at the Crosshill with the complete nickel boron bolt at Joebob's for like 335.00. Speaking of loading longer, I bought some stainless steel mags from ASC and they state you can load to 2.316 with their magazines. Didn't know if you knew that or not. Have a happy new year. JD Southeast Teas
acloco

Post by acloco »

Check surplusammo dot com - they have a "franken bolt" that has quite a few features that you might like. Price is $99.