204 Ruger AR barrel

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
DarkNight
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP, Custom White Oaks AR-15 .204 Ruger

204 Ruger AR barrel

Post by DarkNight »

I'm hoping some of you can share your experiences on barrels you use on your AR 204's. I currently have a White Oak's varmint barrel and while the rifle is a tack-driver, I'm looking to replace it with a shorter, lighter barrel that is still accurate. What do you guys shoot? What length barrel do you use? Twist rates? Grain bullet? Size groups at 100 yds?
I'm wanting to lighten this AR up so I can take it calling at night with a night vision scope, hopefully soon!

I've heard of Lilja and Wilson barrels but wanted to know what else is out there and what's working (and what hasn't) for all of you.

Thanks!
DarkNight
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Re: 204 Ruger AR barrel

Post by TEXAS222 »

I've got the WOA, fluted, 1-10 twist just like you. Awesome!!! Had a 24" 1-9 Shilen before this one & was disappointed in it. The only one I know you can buy off the self 18" is a Wilson. I'd talk to Jane at White Oak about having one made or at least deep fluted and shortened. As a note, I have 3 WOA varmint's in .223 1-12 that I've built using Seekins & Magpul and let me tell you they are unreal. I'll shoot them with 40-55 grain bullets against any bolt gun. Just my old 2 pennies worth.
Jim D
DarkNight

Post by DarkNight »

Thanks Tejas jd,
I posted on another forum and am hearing about Black Hole Weaponry, Wilson Combat Barrels, Predator Technology Group, Lilja. So it looks like I have a few to look into. I appreciate the advice. If anyone else has experience with any of these barrels feel free to let me know!

thanks
cosh
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FCV build from 11XP add accu-stock, Varmint barrel

Post by cosh »

I have a Black Hole Weaponry in 6.5 Grendel (sorry not .204R). It went together well and with over 200 rounds, no issues and the folks there helped me to set it up right.

A new bbl maker is also X-Caliber in Kalispell, MT. You can get a 6 or 3 groove AR barrel in SS or ChromeMoly from them. I just got a 7mm SS hunting barrel from them and it looks nice - not installed or tested yet. The chamber and rifling is smooth without machining marks.
DarkNight

Post by DarkNight »

Thanks cosh, I'll have to decide what twist I want as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but the heavier bullets (39 grain) are more accurate if they spin faster with a 1/10 rather than a 1/12? Lighter bullets (32 grain) do better with a slower spin such as 1/12? Am I right with that?

Thanks again for the options guys.
I did talk to WOA and they said they'd be able to cut it down to 20" and flute it to save some weight but not sure if that will lighten it up enough.
SShooterZ
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint - Savage 12 w/ Custom PacNor 1:11

Post by SShooterZ »

Glad to hear the good reports on WOA. I've been recommended them on my first AR build and always appreciate additional insight. Did you guys buy yours direct from WOA or is there a better place to purchase?
TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

I think I've bought 5 so far & bought them all from Jane @ WOA direct. What I really like about my .223 barrels besides them being so accurate, and probably one of the reasons why, is they cut their own chamber & unlike most AR barrels, you are able to load out to the lands or where ever you choose and they still are magazine length. You have an AR competition shooter running the company.
Jim D
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Well I am going too throw another fine barrel outfit at you. Check out, via site or give Dustin or Hunter a call at Xcaliber barrel & Mfg. I have used two of their barrels, so far, and four pre-fit savage and Remage, in 204 & 20 Practical. All are shooting very well, all under one MOA and they are 3 grove, 1-11 twist, SS. Prices are good, customer service is excellent ( for me, so far) and their turn around time is better than some I used in the past. Just a thought, I would check them out, before you make your final choice. But however you go, you will enjoy your 20 caliber's. Bill K
Bike Effects
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Bike Effects »

TEJAS JD wrote:I've got the WOA, fluted, 1-10 twist just like you. Awesome!!! Had a 24" 1-9 Shilen before this one & was disappointed in it. The only one I know you can buy off the self 18" is a Wilson. I'd talk to Jane at White Oak about having one made or at least deep fluted and shortened. As a note, I have 3 WOA varmint's in .223 1-12 that I've built using Seekins & Magpul and let me tell you they are unreal. I'll shoot them with 40-55 grain bullets against any bolt gun. Just my old 2 pennies worth.
Jim D

Since I am waiting for a Shilen 24" 1 in 9, what was wrong with it?
TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

Nothing at all. I like Shilen & use them just for some reason my Shilen 204 barrel did not shoot consistent. Using CFE & H322 some days I'd shoot great groups in the 2's & 3's. Next week maybe same load loaded at the same time might shoot 1 moa or 7's & 8's. I don't know if was temperature or what, just couldn't figure it out. Can't remember his name but another fellow on this sight in Texas shoots Shilen & has tremendous success.
JD
Bike Effects
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Bike Effects »

TEJAS JD wrote:Nothing at all. I like Shilen & use them just for some reason my Shilen 204 barrel did not shoot consistent. Using CFE & H322 some days I'd shoot great groups in the 2's & 3's. Next week maybe same load loaded at the same time might shoot 1 moa or 7's & 8's. I don't know if was temperature or what, just couldn't figure it out. Can't remember his name but another fellow on this sight in Texas shoots Shilen & has tremendous success.
JD
Well, I had originally thought I would get a WOA barrel, as my Varmint AR in .223 is a WOA barrel (from a Wilson blank) and this has been a great shooter from the beginning. I did the Shilen for the 1 in 9 twist to get a little more stability for 40 grain bullets. I have a Shilen barreled 6.5X47 Lapua on a Savage action and it is an amazing shooter. Unfortunately, when I ordered the barrel from Shilen they said it was in stock so they ran my card and then someone picked the last .204 barrel so I am in a 6 week wait. I have everything I need for this build except for the barrel.
TEXAS222

Post by TEXAS222 »

Bike, I have sent you a PM.
JD
Stugots
.204 Ruger Guns: Built an AR15 with a 26" White Oak Armory

Post by Stugots »

On one of my AR's that I built I installed an 18" Lothar Walther medium profile barrel and with hand loads it will consistently shoot 1/2" or better 5 shot groups all day long. I have been able to maintain this accuracy for 1,000's of rounds and the barrel just keeps on shooting. .223 - 1-8" twist.
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!
slickshot223
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage, Kimber, Contender

Post by slickshot223 »

My hvy barrel 204 is a Shaw, shoots bug eye groups all day!!