Help with accuracy on a DTECH upper

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
jdohio
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture Predator

Help with accuracy on a DTECH upper

Post by jdohio »

What kind of accuracy should I expect with factory Hornaday 40gr ammunition? Lately I've been hitting groundhogs at 200+ yards and missing them at 125 yards. I took my AR to the shooting range to see what was going on and I wasn't impressed. I am considering getting rid of it and going back to my Remington 700 in 22-250. Before I sell the AR, I am looking for advice on improving the accuracy (consistency). Unfortunately I don't have time to work up a handload, so I need to find something that shoots factory ammo well. Is the factory ammo causing the inconsistency?

About 4 years ago I did a lot of research using this site and ultimately found a nice used DTECH upper. It has a 22" fluted barrel with 1-10 twist and integral compensator. I think the bolt came from DTECH as well but I'm not sure. I have a Nikon Monarch 5-20x scope on it.

It was a nice day with a good enough rest and here are the results. each 3 shots at 100 yards. If I did it right you'll see 3 pictures below:

Then I shot my trusty model 700 22-250 and saw targets like this consistently. And I only have a 14x scope on it:

TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Re: Help with accuracy on a DTECH upper

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hi JD. First let me say my 1st 204 ar hated factory Hornady ammo. Your groups were great compared to my totally scattered 3-4" groups. It would shoot Fiocchi decent about .75 to 1". Next to say, lots & lots of 204's just will not shoot a 40 grainer. Looking at your groups where you have 2 close together & 1 off, I'd say that's probably a bullet depth problem. If they weren't factory ammo, I bet you could seat the bullets in or out 10-15 thousandths more or less & that would cure that problem. Try a box of Fiocchi or a box of 32's and see what it does. If you decide to load yourself, PM me & I'll send you 2 or 3 loads that seems to work well with all my 204's. Good luck to you,
Jim D :shrug:
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I second what JD says, that is what 40gr do in my R700's. Federal use to make factory ammo with a 39gr but several made them with 32 gr which is probably more optimal.

On the flip side, when possible work up a load, I'm doing that now with a 223 varmint upper I got as a gift.

HTH
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

With a 1x10 twist, I would think it should shoot the 40's ok. But take a try with the 32's. Or if you can find some 39gr loads, even better. You mentioned a "good enough rest". My question here is, is that a "good" rest. Were you shooting off a bench, your pickup hood, off a tree , or maybe a rock. I would think a little more info would be needed here. Also, did you check to make sure your scope was tightened down properly
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
jdohio

Post by jdohio »

I was shooting off an adjustable height plastic front rest and a bag on the rear. It was stable but I wasn't using a fancy Caldwell lead sled.

Do you think loading rounds individually vs magazine fed would make a difference? The reason I didn't want to hand load is because I don't think the mag can handle a longer cartridge length. As is I wonder if the bullet tips get knocked on their way into the chamber.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

To check if they're getting banged around;

- Measure the TIR of several rounds and record them on the case [or where ever];
- Tale a Sharpie and color the bullet with. Dark colors [blue, black or green] work the best;
- Remove the bolt, remove the firing pin from the bolt, reassemble the bolt and then reinstall in your firearm;
- Engage the safety of the rifle;
- Put the rounds in a magazine and insert the magazine in the rifle;

In a safe place, preferably a range;
- Feed and eject the rounds;
- Inspect each case/bullet for signs of damage, contact etc;
- Measure the TIR and compare;

Don't forget to reinstall the firing pin.

If there are no TIR changes then you're probably not having that issue.

If you're shooting mag fed bullets you'll have to use mag length ammo. While some bullets such as a VLD style perform better seated close to the lands, others often perform just as well several thousands off the lands. The Nosler 40gr Ballistic [Orange] Tips in my 221 FB is 80-thousands off the lands and the 32 gr Ballistic [Purple] Tips in my 20 VT are the same distance and both of them are hammers.

In the end, the odds are much better for improved groups if you reload for it.

HTH,
jdohio

Post by jdohio »

Thank you for that information. I had to research what TIR is, and unfortunately I don't have a concentricity gauge, but I like the sharpie idea. Maybe something will jump out at me.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

jdohio wrote:The reason I didn't want to hand load is because I don't think the mag can handle a longer cartridge length. As is I wonder if the bullet tips get knocked on their way into the chamber.
The nice thing about reloading, you can adjust the OAL to whatever length works the best in your rifle. I had to push the OAL in my rifle out to the point, so I only have .125 of the bullet in the case. So I can only single feed. But this works for me, as I am shooting off a bench, even out in the field. And I am shooting a bolt rifle. Unfortunately with an AR, you are limited as far as OAL goes.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

jdohio, I guess I'm a little bit confused. You said groundhogs your missing at 125 yds. & hitting at 200+. While those groups are not real small or uniform, I don't see how you can be missing many GH's @ 125 yds. What kind of groups are you getting @ 200+ where you say your hitting? I have seen certain bullets or bullet/powder/charge weight, that did not have time to stabilize at 100 yards but by 200 yards they would stabilize & shoot great. Jim, futuretrades, ya'll are probably more knowledgeable about this than me, so if you feel this is incorrect please speak up & say so. I've got a Rock River 223 varmint 1-12 twist 24" barrel & just happened to have a case of Federal 55 ballistic tips. One day at the range we were shooting @ 100 & I was getting not great 1" groups. We moved to 400 & low & behold that same gun & bullet was shooting 1.25" to 1.50" pretty regular. Go figure. :shrug:
Jim D
jdohio

Post by jdohio »

I know it sounds weird. Its probably a problem with the rear sight. But I was laying in a field and hit one at 225, then missed 3 shots to another side at 115. Could be my rangefinder or scope as well. There are lots of variables in the equation.