New Upper

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
unclered
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12, AR 24" heavy SS Wilson bbl

New Upper

Post by unclered »

Greetings from Manchester Mi, I purchased a 24" hvy ss barreled upper. I always lap a new bbl. As I looked down the pipe I saw a burr. I mean .004 of .005 around the gas port. And the hole seemed to be BIG. I mean 1/8 inch or more. So out to the shop I go, patch the bbl out,& begin to lap it. OH OH, big resistance on that spot. I sent it back. They send me the same upper back, w/ a note cleaned out burr w/ a cleaning rod. Nope. same "feel" same .200" gas port mistake. They claim the 204 hole is .006 bigger than the 5.56 hole. None of my 8 ARs have a visually big gas port hole or a definite sticky spot while running a cleaning rod down it. School me on this 204 gas port. Thanks, Red
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: New Upper

Post by Bill K »

Don't know if the 204R would need a larger gas port hole or not, could be to cycle properly. However I would ask the company to take this upper back and either replace it or the barrel, as you just do not want that burr/bad spot in the barrel. Bill K
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

I agree, send it back for a refund. Don't think I'd want to shoot a gun with a tight spot in the barrel. I'm not sure if the gas port hole is bigger on my .204 barrel or not but a quick call to Shilen who makes barrels should get you an answer. I used a standard size gas tube and my AR cycles just fine. Randy.
unclered

Post by unclered »

The company I bought it from says .089 for 204, ,082 for 223. One could not see that little diff. I see a HUGE looking hole. I sent it back. They get 1 more shot at it. Then I WILL get a Shilen. Probably should have done it in the first place. Doublestar 24" SS hvy bbl from JT dist...................
randyman

Post by randyman »

The barrel on my AR is a Shilen 24” SS and I couldn’t be happier.
unclered

Post by unclered »

I got my dbl star 24" hvy SS barrel back(for the 2nd time). Put it on my AA lower w/ Geissele trigger, cheap vortex crossfire scope on it. They cleaned the burr out of it & test fired 20 rds through it.
I grabbed some cheap hunting shack ammo I have & put 20 through it. How about .440" @ 100 yds????. NOW I AM HAPPY. wait till I load for this :-)
randyman

Post by randyman »

My .204 also has an AA lower and upper. I put in a Geissele G2S trigger but have the Vortex Viper scope. Don't know if you put an adjustable gas block on or not but I really like mine. It's adjusted so there's just enough gas to lock the bolt back after the last shot. It shoots great! Randy.
Dan Carey
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger/CZ

Post by Dan Carey »

The bur in the barrel at the gas port hole is caused by a dull drill or the guy drilling it had applied too much pressure on the drill. Every shot will wear the edges of the gas hole. At 3 to 4 thousand rounds the gas hole will look like it was made with a rasp and a hammer. The 204 does require a larger gas hole than the 223. You will always be able to feel the hole with a cleaning patch.
unclered

Post by unclered »

thank you Dan. All is well now. 25 rds through the bbl, held .440" @ 100 yds w/ cheap ammo. when the weather is right Ill shoot more. Just ordered an AERO lower. will complete the rifle soon. I love this round. been shooting it for 10 years in my M 12 savage