AR-15 For Home Defense

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
Winston Russel
.204 Ruger Guns: none

AR-15 For Home Defense

Post by Winston Russel »

There are several factors why you should try the AR-15 for home defense. Firstly, you need to understand that this gun can be customized to any extent. You can use it to take down multiple targets. Since the weapon has a 20-30 round magazine capacity, you need not worry at all. The main thing is that this firearm is lightweight and highly versatile. When you look into several weapons, you can conclude that the AR-15 is easy to use. It is a fine gun that is suited for beginners. People shoot better with a carbine. If you ever don’t believe this, you have to go to the shooting range and try it out.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: AR-15 For Home Defense

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Welcome to the forum, and for pointing out what most here already know.

The AR platform is NOT ideal for everyone's home defense situation contrary to your post; living in tight quarters in apartments for instance....torching off a half magazine of 5.56 in a sheetrock environment is highly subject to collateral damage....and lawsuits, even prison. The carbine is best suited for rural applications in terms of home defense.

Even though I have various weapons available for HD, my personal choices are both 9mm and .45 caliber handguns placed strategically, and my 12ga. pump loaded with No. 4 buckshot is always handy. Over penetration in domestic settings is a serious issue and should be taken seriously.

The AR is the most widely used rifle platform in the country, but that doesn't make it ideal for all situations.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Rick has many good points regarding the AR, in either 15 or 30 mode, as not being a good HD weapon. Most women or young people, that might use it for HD would have a lot of issues using one and the large magazine would give them a false of security and they would just pray and spray, as most do with those weapons.
A good hand gun they can handle or the shotgun with #4 to double O would be much better to train them to use and depend on. You want to teach them to stop the threat and not overdue the use, too lesson the chance of being arrested themselves and/or injuring or killing innocent's in the general area or connecting rooms.
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

What an interesting first post.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

dsandfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:38 pmWhat an interesting first post.
My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking 'trolling' for some obscure reason.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails