204 ruger not cycling

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
204ruger
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark 2 204 ruger and Remington XR-100 204 ruger

204 ruger not cycling

Post by 204ruger »

I've put together a 204 ruger ar-15. It's got an 18 inch Wilson combat barrel with match gas block and rifle length gas tube. The lower has a rifle length a2 style stock. The rifle will not cycle the next round and will not lock back after last round. Its throwing brass at about 3 to 4 o'clock. I've tried it on two other lowers and it does the same thing. I've also tried different buffers and the only way I can get it to run is to run a 3 ounce carbine buffer in the rifle tube which probably isnt right. So what could be my issue? Thanks in advance.
Stugots
.204 Ruger Guns: Built an AR15 with a 26" White Oak Armory

Re: 204 ruger not cycling

Post by Stugots »

You may not be getting enough gas to fully cycle the BCG. This is the issue I had with my 6.5 Grendel build. After I broke the upper down and re-aligned the gas block over the the port on the barrel it cycled perfectly.
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

mY AR'S are all .223, my .204 is a bolt gun. sorry
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Your gas block is not aligned or if an adjustable one, then set to low, for gas flow.
204ruger
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark 2 204 ruger and Remington XR-100 204 ruger

Post by 204ruger »

The gas block is a set screw with a pre drilled notch in barrel. Both barrel and gas block are wilson combat and it's not adjustable
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I had a similar problem with mine not locking back with my AR-10's I put together that ended being a receiver issue. In my case, the problem would move when swapping receivers amongst the two I had at the time. One thing different though mine would cycle and pick up rounds. Since the problem tends to move with the specific upper and the lowers work on the other uppers that would point me to your upper that is giving you the problem and that the ammunition isn't the issue.

Could you be losing gas else where such as where the tube meets with the BCG?
Are you sure the gas port and the gas block are aligned?
Could the gas tube or the gas block be defective?
If it's an adjustable gas block back the adjustment screw all the way out and give it full gas pressure.

When I put mine together I drew a line along the barrel and the gas block across the ports to help visually to align them up, it worked pretty good too.

If I come up with anything else, I'll let you know...good luck.