My AR is finally here!!!

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
shotgunred50
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 1 sales AR-15 .204

My AR is finally here!!!

Post by shotgunred50 »

Hey guys,
I just got my model 1 sales .204 AR in last week and I have finished getting it all put together. I'm sure that its gonna be a sweet shooter I just need to find a good scope/ring combo for it and I am definately interested in getting a bipod. Anyone had any experience with the versa pod? They look nice but I like to hear what other people think about stuff? And last but not least, What is your favorite trigger setup? I just want to go all out with this one so lets hear what you got to say guys!

Ill be working on getting some pics on here soon.

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: My AR is finally here!!!

Post by acloco »

I prefer a national match 2 stage....but it has to be smooooooth and crisp. Not too light either.

There are several aftermarket triggers available. Guisse (not sure on the spelling) is supposed to be the best...period.

For scope/rings.....it kind of sucks on an AR platform. But, this is what I prefer. I use a one piec riser or two piece risers and low or medium rings (burris sig zee).

For a scope, I prefer the Leupold 6-18x40 VXii or the Pentax straight 6 power or 4-12x40 (pentax plex 2 reticle - multiple lines). These are somewhat lightweight/compact and have enough power to reach out (not the 6 power....but you get the drift).

Just remember...everything you add to an AR...adds weight. If you plan on carrying it, at all, these get heavy, fast.
spacewelder
.204 Ruger Guns: Lothar Walther AR-15, CZ American 204, Rem 700 204, ETC

Post by spacewelder »

As far as rings go the Burris PEPR is the only way to go. I have them on several of my AR's and it puts you at the perfect line of sight.
I prefer a Harris myself.
Triggers can be funny, but the guys have allready given you some fine examples. I prefer the Timney myself but to each his own.
My 204 delivers 5 shot groups under.200
I am really interested in hearing how the model one sales shoot. I have heard many good things about them. I get excited everytime I see a new one! Makes me want to get just one more! My wife would KILL me!
Let us know how she does at the range please!
As far as the scope goes I prefer the older ones!
Leupold is by far the way to go! I personally like the old Redfields if you can find them!
But if you don't have a lot of money to spend I personally like Burris ,Weaver, Etc. I think in a scope it has to do with what you like and how it looks in YOUR EYES! Not how much it costs! I have an old Redfield Widefield 8-24X50 that to me is way better than my Leupold Mark 4, which costs 1500.00 . Go to your range and talk to guys and maybe they will let you look at thier scopes!
Anyway, just my 2!
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

acloco wrote:There are several aftermarket triggers available. Guisse (not sure on the spelling) is supposed to be the best...period.
Geissele

I have a RRA National Match two-stage trigger in my AR right now. As soon as my new barrel comes in, I'm going to spend some time on the range determining how much I like it. If I opt to replace the trigger, I'll put one of the Geissele units in there.
Charlie AR15
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Charlie AR15 »

Oooo, your rig looks great ! It looks like a long barrel; is it 24 " ? As for rings, I use a rather expensive but danged good set of TPS- Tactical Precision Systems rings. My scopes are 30mm with 50 mm obj.s so I use their med. height rings. Love them. Have two and another coming on my next upper.
As for triggers; I've tried the American Gold but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the mushy pull/release. I know it's very reliable and probably will keep it; but I just did something to a RRA match trigger that makes that trigger a dream ! Now, I wouldn't try this on an AR that's used for anything but bench or varmint shooting. But, we found the trigger spring was too heavy. Replaced the .035 spring with a .025 and now it's a 1 1/2 # crisp two stage trigger ! For target and slow fire varmint shooting; it's the best I've tried.
charles
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I've got a Williams set trigger (http://www.williamstriggers.com/) in the AR I build last year and love the thing. It breaks cleanly right around 3 lbs without using the set feature and once I set the trigger, it drops down to 1 1/2.

I took it out to the prairie dog fields last June and did some damage. :lol:

I'm looking forward to getting it back out in the field this spring.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Snoplop
.204 Ruger Guns: Pantherâ„¢ LR-204 & BROWNING, A-Bolt II 204 Ruger

Post by Snoplop »

Burris PEPR
Harris Bipod
Geissele Match rifle Trigger
"Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

People who love sausage and people who believe in justice should never watch either of them being made. ~Otto Bismarck
shotgunred50
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 1 sales AR-15 .204

Post by shotgunred50 »

It is a 24'' barrel to answer your question. I was also wondering if anyone has tried to put in a lighter trigger and hammer spring to lighten the trigger pull weight. I can tell that it is pretty heavy now and I heard that this is a cheaper alternative to buying a $200 drop in trigger. I have got a burris pepr on it now and I am still trying to decide on a decent scope. I will get some more pictures as the project comes along. keep em in the 10 ring!
Charlie AR15
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Charlie AR15 »

shotgunred, I just re read my reply and see a glaring mistake !! I said I replaced the trigger spring; when in fact it is the disconnect spring ! Big difference ! Sure hope that didn't get used by anyone. My bad ! Yeah, the disconnect spring and I should also say that when you mike yours, just get the replacement .005" thinner. Some springs vary in diameter; just go .005" thinner of the original. And it's just for bench rest and slow fire varmints ! I wouldn't recommend it for serious social working ARs. I hope that clears it up and no harm was done. Sorry !
Charles
broncsandwhiskey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage modle 12 LRPV

Post by broncsandwhiskey »

Well with my AR set up I use a Rock River two stage National Match trigger. First stage is just under 3 pounds and the second stage is 15 oz. This is a very smooth and crisp trigger. I myself just received my Model 1 sales upper in .204. You are going to have let me know how she shoots and what load yours likes the best. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Oh yeah and for scopes and bi-pods I like Burris Tac 30 with a ballistic mill dot and Burris Quick Detach rings. The scope should be 4.5-14 in power. The bi-pod I use is a Harris 9"-13" swivel base. Enjoy and I will keep you posted on mine as well. Ride Up!!! Great looking rig.

Shane
RIDE UP!!!
Savage LRPV .204 With a Burris 6.5x20 Mill Dot
And alot of other savage rat killers