AR-15 RELOADING for 204 Ruger

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
HeavyHog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 25LTWT and AR-15 Sabre Defence upper

Post by HeavyHog »

I have a Sabre Defence upper - during break-in & sighting in the last three groups could be covered with a dime. Three of the bullets in each group were in a small clover leaf ( 100 yards). This was with Hornady 32 gr. factory ammo. I shoot competition skeet & sporting so I have reloaded all four gauges ( 12,20,28 & 410) for years. Where do I start working up a load for this rifle?
What load is close to the factory Hornady load?
From looking at the info on line it looks like RL-10, Varget, H335 & Benchmark all seem to be good powders for the 204
Ruger. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
P.S. I have 2 friends that have reloaded rifle ammo for years, but not AR-15 or 204 they will help me.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: AR-15 RELOADING for 204 Ruger

Post by Mike »

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

There is a wealth of information in the reloading sub-forum.
hondacr21
.204 Ruger Guns: Sabre Defence

Post by hondacr21 »

HeavyHog wrote:AR-15 RELOADING for 204 Ruger
I have a Sabre Defence upper - during break-in & sighting in the last three groups could be covered with a dime. Three of the bullets in each group were in a small clover leaf ( 100 yards). This was with Hornady 32 gr. factory ammo. I shoot competition skeet & sporting so I have reloaded all four gauges ( 12,20,28 & 410) for years. Where do I start working up a load for this rifle?
What load is close to the factory Hornady load?
From looking at the info on line it looks like RL-10, Varget, H335 & Benchmark all seem to be good powders for the 204
Ruger. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
P.S. I have 2 friends that have reloaded rifle ammo for years, but not AR-15 or 204 they will help me.
Got the same upper, might loves the 32 gr Hornady as well, Have you tried 39 gr Sierra BK? I have been wanting to try them, I did try 40 gr vmax hornady and it didnt like them, I too am trying to get into reloading, all I got so far is a RCBS Press.
jwc41
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 clone

Post by jwc41 »

For the last 3 years I've been reloading 204 for an AR parts gun I put together myself, using a DPMS 24" barrel. The gun is extremely accurate, but I've found reloading for it requires attention to certain details.

My chamber is pretty tight and the first dies I got, an RCBS set, didn't set the shoulder back far enough that I had feeding problems. I had to buy a Redding die set that works great. Also, be careful about the neck expander diameter; if it's not tight enough you'll have issues with the bullet moving forward in the case during the loading cycle. That can send pressures sky high, so for that reason, be sure you neck size all new brass that you load for the AR. I wish Lee made their factory crimp die for 204 as a regular production item. Another critical dimension is cartridge overall length. I load mine so they'll fit (with a little extra room to spare) into a GI 20 round magazine, typically between 2.250 to 2.255 inches. The only magazine that gives a little more room (out to 2.26) is a 20 round HK I bought several years ago. The P-mag limit is about 2.235 to 2.240 so I don't use those with the 204. Finally, since the factory 204 ammo is loaded to a higher pressure than commercial 223 ammo, I stay away from the max pressure handloads. The higher pressure really batters the brass; some brands of brass (think big green) tend to stretch primer pockets a little faster than others.

The most consistently accurate bullet--regardless of powder--in all my 204s, the AR included, is easily the 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing. It's red-fog death on P-dogs and rock-chucks from any distance you can shoot. It's great on coyotes, too. I've settled on a load with H4895 powder for warm days over the P-dog towns. It gives more velocity at seemingly comparable pressure than Varget. However, I just got a pound of the new IMR8208; it shows real promise in the bolt guns so I may have to give it a try in the AR. It too is temperature insensitive.

Good luck.