Which 204 AR is the most accurate from the factory?

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
chipper

Which 204 AR is the most accurate from the factory?

Post by chipper »

Looking at purchasing a 204 cal AR. Thinking about Remington or DPMS. I'm leaning towards the Dpms just because I already have 3 other rifles from the company, 2 308's and a 223. I really like the camo on the Remington. So what do you guys think will be the most accurate rifle, from the factory? Any other 204 AR style rifles I should be considering??
This will be to replace my Savage 12. Getting tired of the old bolt action.
I do reload so working up a load will not be a problem.
MT204
.204 Ruger Guns: custom ar15

Re: Which 204 AR is the most accurate from the factory?

Post by MT204 »

Why not build one? That way you can get the best of everything. That's what I did and am very happy, my son is now in the process of doing the same thing.
hondacr21
.204 Ruger Guns: Sabre Defence

Post by hondacr21 »

I got a 24" Sabre Defense Heavy Bench 204 upper and love it shoots sub moa all day, still messing around with ammo, It loves 32 gr Hornady and Winchester 32 gr, I m wanting to try out some 39 gr Sierra BlitzKing. They have a 1-12 twist which is suggested for 32-40 gr bullets. Farthest confirmed groundhog kill is only 323 yards, hopefully I can get some longer shots this year. I too have a DPMS .223 AR which I love, now before I got this Sabre Defense upper I had a DPMS 204 upper and the tightest group at 50 yards was like 5", I contacted the company I got the upper from and he said send it back and I got a Sabre and love it. I heard that DPMS had a bad bunch of 204 barrels, I assume I got one of them.

chipper

Post by chipper »

I kind of thought about building one the way I want. Just not sure about the money issues. Is it really that much cheaper than just buying one.
Hondacr21, I really like your AR in the picture. Could you give me an idea on how much you have into building yours?? I just saw a Sabre upper for $762 on Midway. But by the time I buy a lower, stock, trigger etc???
hondacr21
.204 Ruger Guns: Sabre Defence

Post by hondacr21 »

That is a pretty good price from Midway I got mine for around $850 for the upper, as of right now I am just sharing my lower off of my 16" carbine, I am tossing up on which trigger to buy either Geissele SSA trigger or Geissele DMR I have herd great things about both just depends on if you want adjustablility or not and if you want to spend the extra $100 on the trigger, I will probably go with the SSA, I am getting ready to build a 6.5 Grendel next only this time I am buying a stripped upper and assembling the barrel and everything, I have priced everything out and I will save alittle doing it that way but that is for the Grendel, I havent priced a whole .204 AR but you would probably be a little cheaper going that route I would guess, I just dont know who offers complete 204 AR's, Les Baer might, I know they do in Grendel, but they will be pricey.
wilbur116
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 16 and AR15

Post by wilbur116 »

This is the best deal I've found for a 204 upper.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/53/73

I have the same ER Shaw barrel that shoots absolutley amazing. 5/8" @ 200yds one hole group @ 100yds with 39gr BlitzKing handloads.
DDRanch
.204 Ruger Guns: RRA AR-15

Post by DDRanch »

Howdy guys. Long time lurker. I have the the ER Shaw upper and it shoots great. Also did build a custom upper with a DPMS .204 Ruger Varmint/Target barrel & a DPMS High Rider Receiver but as yet to try any loads out in it. I live in the back yard of the California Buzzard(Condor) so will have to work up non-lead loads. Will have to post some pictures of my toys.
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

I would agree with Hondacr21 in that you will have great luck with a Sabre Defence 204. I have a Sabre Defence SPR 5.56 complete gun that I paid $2000 for new and it was worth every penny. They really make nice stuff for sure.

There are alot of AR's out there that are far better than DPMS or Remington.

Er Shaw upper would be a good choice as well.

I actually have a complete Noveske 204 that is a shooter. Noveske doesn't offer a 204 on their web site, you have to call and talk to John Noveske and he will build you one. Mine has a pac nor barrel and is dead nuts accurate....

good luck.

Doveryai no Proveryai
blownholley50
.204 Ruger Guns: Carey Custom 204 Ar-15

Post by blownholley50 »

I had carey customs build me a 204 upper- at that time he was the fastest i could get one to build me an upper(white oak was one of my top choices but they said 6-8 months)-- took 4 or 5 weeks- he starts at 695.00 - mine was a little over 800 because i got the vented hand guard and fluted barrel.....

Mine is a h-22" 1-10 twist barrel...

BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

I'm not sure my Dtech shoots any better than a factory DPMS, or enough better to justify the extra $800, but I did get exactly what I wanted. With everyone else suggesting customs, I figured I better give Mike some advertising here. I love the AR he built me. The only problem some have with Dtech is the wait time to get one. Right now I think it's around 12-14 months. Since you already have lowers, you might look at just the Dtech upper in .204 for around $1100-1200.

His pricing was as follows on mine:
$799 Base Price for his standard upper only.

Upgrades or parts ordered from Dtech with rifle:
DPMS lower receiver $190 (he stocks Olympic parts but I asked him to use DPMS, only because they're stamped "St. Cloud MN", and I was born there. Not a big deal.)
RRA 2-stage trigger tuned by Mike +$120
Magpul Winter Trigger Guard $15
23" Shilen 1:10 Select Match barrel, .204 Ruger +$150
Dtech compensator (muzzle brake) +$119
Fluted barrel +$129
WOA vented handguard +$130 (I just liked the look of these.)
Armalite 30mm 1-piece scope mount +$89
I think mine came to somewhere around $1780 after MN state sales tax for the complete rifle, as you see it here minus the Harris bipod, Ergo grip, Accu-Shot monopod, scope, and rails added to the handguard. I've also added the Badger Tac Latch II (no so big like the Gen 1), and a Tubbs flat wire buffer spring, which takes the sproooooing! sound out of each shot, and apparently lasts longer than the standard spring.