DPMS or Bushmaster?

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

DPMS or Bushmaster?

Post by Va varminter »

I have no experience with black guns but want one bad. The only thing I know is that it will be a 223 w/ 24" barrel. I plan on shooting it a long way.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Re: DPMS or Bushmaster?

Post by giterdone »

DPMS has a larger variety of calibers to choose from, but Bushmaster (now a part of Remington) is the hands down accuracy winner of the two. There are many other good choices out there, often higher in price or you could build your own. I have a 1-9" twist .223 Bushmaster 24" Stainless Varmint model w/magpul PRS Gen2 stock and Mark 4 4.5-14X50mm LR/T that shoots bug holes (I also shoot it at 600yds). Do not order a chrome lined bore/chamber if you want the best accuracy as it is difficult to chrome line the inside of a barrel evenly. If you just want to pray and spray then get the chrome lined barrel in a DPMS.
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Rock River, much better trigger than either DPMS or Bushmaster. Gary
Charlie AR15
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Charlie AR15 »

I agree with captqc; Rock River has THE best trigger. But, you can buy it and put it in any lower. A friend of mine bought a DPMS AR10 in 308 and it is superb ! Smoothest bore I have ever cleaned, and it shoots awesome. Can't say any more than that.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

What can I expect as far as accuracy goes? I will be shooting factory stuff, and it will be .223. I am in th .2s w/my savage 204, I know it won't be that good. But is 1/2 inch asking too much?
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I have one of the older DPMS 16" bull barrels (1/9) that I've shot a lot of action competition with and it will shoot as well as I can.

For factory loads, it does really well with Federal 50gr HPs and Black Hills in the heavier bullet weights... I reload, so I don't have a bunch of experience with the factory stuff, other than cheap military FMJs that I use in the action competitions where I know I will lose the brass...

What ever you decide on, you will probably have to try several different factory loads as each barrel and rifle can be a little different as to it's preferences....

I also have an Armalite upper with a SS Match barrel that I just acquired that is showing a lot of promise....

DPMS is the upper one and the Armalite is the lower one...

AR
Factory/Factory
chicoredneck
.204 Ruger Guns: saber defense ar 15

Post by chicoredneck »

i purchased a saber defence upper and it can shoot! i can keep five shot groups inside a golfball at 500 yards with a proper rest. very impressed and pleassed with it. the only draw back is the weight if you plan on hiking around with it. you can find them for $800 to $950 for the upper.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

chicoredneck wrote:i can keep five shot groups inside a golfball at 500 yards with a proper rest.
In a .204?
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Mike wrote:
chicoredneck wrote:i can keep five shot groups inside a golfball at 500 yards with a proper rest.
In a .204?
This guy is pretty amazing, huh..??

I bet he can go deep sea fishing without a boat... :wink:

JMO - BCB
chicoredneck

Post by chicoredneck »

yes in a 204. my rifle is zeroed for 400yards. that gives me about 12" of drop at 500. The rifle is capable of producing groups that small. it is the most accurate rifle i have ever shot. i don't know if saber defense turns out rifles of this quality all the time or if i just got lucky, but it is amazing. i'm not the only one who is capable of shooting minute groups at 500 yards with this rifle. every one who has shot it has been extreamly impressed/suprised. exsepcially because most of my friends though of semi-autos as innacurate. i've manged to change a few of their minds
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

I'm not calling you a liar because I don't know you and it's none of my business how well you can shoot. With that said, I've spent some time shooting very accurate .204 rifles beyond 400 yards and know that it is VERY, VERY difficult to put down the kind of groups that you describe on a consistent basis.
chicoredneck

Post by chicoredneck »

i would question anybody who said that also so no offense taken. most people who say they can shoot really are not all that great. yes, i know it is pretty amazing thats why i posted it. i consider myself a pretty decent shot, but i can't do this every day, however the rifle can. my wife (go figure) can however almost every time. yes, my wife is aparently a better shot than i am. i should have re-frazed my post because i can put five shots into about an inch group at 500 yards with this gun on days when i've got a solid rest and i'm shooting good, but not every day all day long.

it is afine work of craftmanship and i'll invite you to shoot it if your ever in norcal
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Where in N. Ca are you located? I'd be very interested in seeing a 204 on an AR platform hit golfballs consistently at 500 yards. I shoot down there often during this time of year, and would gladly meet you so you can show off your shooting ability at 500 yards.

Most here on this forum are experienced shooters. We can smell BS from afar. Prove us wrong.

(In the meantime, you can research spell checkers and seek remedial help with your grammar and spelling.......)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

chicoredneck

Post by chicoredneck »

all right old man if you want to join me and my buddies in chico i'll save the sack of golf balls in the back of my truck for when you get here and well show you what real rifles are capable of. who knows i might actually like your old set-in-your-ways hiney after all. if you like shooting little critters for a real wild time you can meet us out in nevada and blow everything up in the middle of the night that jumps.
chicoredneck

Post by chicoredneck »

p.s. i think worrying about spelling on a forum is about as retarded as you think hunting deer with a 204 is for the record. as long as the message is understood